Sign in to follow this  
miles-militis

Prof Samatar – Academe cataclysm of the moment

The joke within the intellectual community of the moment goes to Prof Samatar of U of M in making an a'rse of himself one last time falling into his usual trap without a moment’s thought going into his remarks and language.

The good professor of history, how very disappointing, continues to amaze his immediate communities by failing to spot social and political pitfalls ahead and diving with his blinkers on head first.

Here goes the good professor in addressing the issue of federalism so far as the exsiting administrations namely Puntland and Somaliland are concerned in saying “ … In gobollo aan jirin la aqoonsado. In umadda layska horkeeno. Khiyaanaa meesha ku jirta. Danna uguma jirto ummadda Somaliyeed”

While commenting on the selection and appointment of the MPs by leaders, politicians counselled by traditional elders, the good professor went on assault in saying “ …Waa laysku shushubanayaa marakaa umadda Somaliyeed codkeedii lama maqlaayo.

On another note regarding the TNG signing the agreement, he lay into the TNG Premier and the speaker of the house in saying “…Ninkii raysal wasaaraha ahaa isagaa is diray. Isaga iyo Abdalla Derow I'saaq. Wixii ay ku heshiiyeen TNG-du halkeedii muu marin. Khiyaana ayaa ku jirta. Dadbaana xiilad loo dhigayaa"

On the committee, the good professor went on the rampage again in saying “ …Guddoonku isagaa iskii go’aanka u gaadhay. Wax sharciyan meeshaa maray majidhin. Doodi may dhicin. Dadkii lama tirin. This never stopping parage now takes on a different front assaulting the IGAD appointed committee in saying “ Ninkani (IGAD-appointed chairman) tan intii uu ka soo laabtay Ethiopia weji kale ayuu la yimid. Dhaqankiisuna waa mid ka duwan si uu u dhaqmo qof Ambaasidoor sheeganaya.

I am very certain these words have been heard many a times before, but through other sources and by other persons. Could it be that the good professor is indeed not representing his own views and intellectual thinking, but rather is in the pocket of yet another camp. How shocking to even suggest such a thing! After all it is only Prof Samatar - Academe cataclysm of the moment.

Smatar is a man on Abdiqasin's pay rol.

This explains most of his recent actions when he insults Abdulla Deerow and Xasan Abshir.

His hate for Somaliland and Puntland is such that he refers to them as non existing entities.

The man is a total failure politicaly, he thrives on the centralist mentality totaly disregarding other forms of decentralisation, for an academic living in the United States, he seems to be ignorant of the benefits of regional autonomy.

He also supports Mogadishu's warlords stance which is totaly out of step with the needs of the population. He is the worst kind of Somali weyn supporter and has so far dented the aspirations of those who support that ideology.

I would like to remind the dear fellow. "for those who can do those who cant teach"

Xalimo7   

Even though i live in the twin cities, i stopped following about those so called Prof, everytime they open their big mouth here they dip into trouble, so if i were you i wouldn't even raise their issues anymore, they don't deserve our valuable time, what have they done for the somali community, nothing but bad behaving attitudes and winning all the time.

see you, am around dude

AYOUB   

Samurai, is it fair to say you longer consider Samatar's clergy 'a harmonisation team'? :confused: .

Quite so I am afraid. Unfortunately his judgement and integrity as a credible academe has been under suspect around the time of the Arte meeting when his name appeared on the political scene as a possible champion of the ordinary person. I recall just before that his campaigning for the “social and political status” of women in Somalia to which many were receptive, embracing him as the scholar of the moment, and giving him a platform to promote the role of women in government and politics. Unfortunately, that was not to be so, for the good professor’s intents were not quite honourable. His claim of decent Somalis in Minnesota being financial supporters of Al-Qa’ida at the height of the pseudo war on terror, which mind was quite the opposite, had not been received well in Minnesota. Furthermore, he was viewed the better of the two evils, the other being his older brother, Ahmed who had always engaged in activities of degrading and discrediting hard working immigrant Somali community in the US. I see him anything but the harmonising intellectual, but I always keep an open-mind giving one the benefit of the doubt.

His perpetual dismissal of the bravery endeavours on the part of the people in Somaliland and Puntland above everything else drives me nuts.

I will say not that I met him lest Lander calls me a liar.

And I will just leave it at that lest Angel starts wrestling me to the ground with her martial arts caricature.

Are you of a different opinion?

Gediid   

This is a classic case of knowledge gone wrong.The dear Professor on the one hand speaks loudly of Somalinimo yet on the other hand detests all and everything that is Somali.Rememeber the case of Al-Barakat and the money transfer business,Ali khaliif,Somaliland and Puntland Universities.

This is one of those cases where an uncle of mine would say "Ilaahey ima tuso ***** dhareer badan oo aqoon ku faana."

Suumali   

salam

for the somali language incapable, would anyone be kind enough to translate the professor's words for us. smile.gif thanks in advance.

in reference to 'federalism' - 'parliamentarism' etc, why do the somalis have to define themselves and their system of jurispudence by failed euro trash standards? warlordism, dictatorships and the lot are all foreign imports and should inshallah be looked down upon as with "federalism". on a sadder note, i just heard that the new govt has agreed to relegate the arabic language as a second tongue, to be taught much akin to enlish. considering the secularist trash we've been through the last 30 years, wouldn't it be prudent for someone to suggest we look to allah (swt), make dua and make ourselves great as we were before with islam defining us as a people?

AYOUB   

Samurai

I don't think some people eps Samatar should have been at the gathering. Was the gathering free for all or some 'minder' decided who goes in? If Somaliland had decided to send representitives, where would it leave Jama Yare and crew, and what does this say about the whole gathering? It was bad enough to meet in Kenya and have an Ethopian envoy present, but what purpose was served by letting Samatar table a constitution? Were any Islamists present and would they have been allowed to present their ideas? I think this shows who run the show in Mbagathi and if it works, then they have succeeded in shaping the future of Somalia in the next few decades.

Ayoub_Sheikh – I am of the opinion that if it is peace we seek, it ought to be inclusive and forbearing, hence believe it would not have served the desired end result to convene a gathering of this nature and keep the likes of Prof Samatar away so long as they wear the “scholars, intellectuals and civil society’ hats whichever one suits the occasion. I do think they are neither representative, nor had they claimed to the best of my knowledge, of Somaliland administration, as that would not be acceptable to the right-thinking mind. They were mere observers since the constitution (1960s) was already in place and minor amendments had been effected, but what we have now is really the old constitution advocating for federalist ideology as opposed to the centralist philosophy of the old. There are constitutional lawyers and scholars present whilst also there are intellectuals and scholars of comparative political science and order, thus theirs is no more than one of reviewing and editing the drafts so as to reach the final one. Their being of Somali awards them that privilege.

As for the case of “Culamaa or Islamists” thought that camp itself is not quite congruous as various denominations are at contention with each other, I understand there are those who claim to represent the far right orthodox, or the old school Islamists present at the meeting. Islam though not so apparent to the naked eye is the single most fundamental impetus that sits at the heart of the process irrespective of the anti-Islam, anti-Oxum dominance Samatar and A/Qassim constantly propagate so as to shell their failure to grasp the actual veracity and leadership mismanagement on the part of those in the leadership roles.

Got to dash mate.

Cheers.

Has anyone heard of the stand-up humorist Professor lately? Or is he sharpening his swords and rejuvenating his repertoire?

I must admit I miss his grading and humorous scheme of things.

king_450   

Samurai not long ago ,i went to the State of Mn,thanks to my good friend Zakariye. one night i was watching one of the so many Somali Tv's in Minnsota,and he(the professor) was the guest i am assuming, and they have asked several questions concerning about his run around with the community,and the way it seems to me he somehow was deflecting the question back to the reporter,who i am assuming might have been a sympathetic to the Professor.It went for several minutes without the professor answered the core question,he was blaming almost every one except him, he was the good guy,but after the interview finished i was so amazed how nice the Somali Community in Minnesota are,cz they are tolerating this gimmic and still invite him over and over, in order to show him the good side of the community, and i am very touched by that, so samurai, be nice to ur enememies ,so they might atleast take a lesson from your gentitlity. even though sometime ppl take a weakness for being so nice ,but again Life is too short let be gone by gone,and remember he is a somali,give him the benefit of doubt.

Salaan...

This individual is an honest professor. Unbiased and not blinded by qabiil, but honesty of Soomaali unity.

I almost always agree his ideas about Soomaali unity, except though when he was against Cali Khaliif Galeyr's nomination to teach at the university he works at. That was unnecessary.

Macsalaama.

although i don't agree some analysis of somali political issues with Prof. Abdi but i have utmost respect for him. he is political activist as well as a distinguished academic and also brillient writer, skills that few somalis poses. his only disadvantage is that his is a somalilander who happen to be campaigning for SOOMAALIWAYN! AND fierce opponent of somali warlordism. i think that is why he is attacked from every direction.

Zakariye   

s/alaykum

New -Nation, i don't think that is true no one is hunting down this porfessor becuase he is Somalilander, but the man is a Lunatic, good for nothing. I go to the University of Mn, and man i hate to c his face some times, if he is man enough he needs to publicly apologize for name calling the professor he was campaigining against his employment at the Universtiy,Then yes i might understand him well, untill then, he is good for nothing and lunatic.

c/salam