Sign in to follow this  
Jacpher

Somalia peace talks to wrap up with no progress

SB : "Genuine reconciliation conference would have seen all warring parties talking without Ethiopian guns pointed at anyone..."

Ethiopia influnces everything from jibuti to kismayo, they influence every faction in Somalia, before talking about what our beighbors might be doing to our lown, should we not get our house in order?

Emperor   

Jujow Sxb I may agree with you on some points and strongly emphasise on the need for peaceful solution with opposition group in Asmara, but I doubt the individuals in Asmara that you praise are any clever, remember these individuals you talk about have had a golden opportunity once and again to tame the country but lost it, now they isolate themselves even more by sitting behind a christian orthodox rogue state leader while claiming to be the Mullah's of Somalia.

As for the Ethiopian, I agree with you completely that they have to depart very soon, but on the other side the TFG should be given enough time to be sufficiently strong to handle all the security matters. Then if the Ethiopian troops stay on after that, count me on your side against the TFG, I agree we cannot recognize the TFG if it remains to be as it is, indefinately...

You may ask for required time, Im not sure I ain't strategist in these sort of things but cosidering the time left for the TFG rule 6 months to 1 year is good enough...

Juje there you go I made myself clear sxb, now am I talking sense at all?

BiLaaL   

NN - The statement that there is no conflict between clans was made by major clan elders inside Somalia. Those are their own words not mine.

I'd be more inclined to expound on this point, if i knew that you'd refrain from resorting to empty one liners. For now, i'll repeat some of what i've written in an earlier thread. Pay attention to the differences between the two forms of tribalism described therein.

Tribalism is hardly the titanic its made out to be. The majority of Somalis have recognised the flaws inherent in tribalism and are ready to divorce it from their collective consciousness. The horrors of the last seventeen years have given rise to a population with a deep desire for change – all they require is for sincere, non-partisan, and pragmatic group of individuals armed with an alternative to tribalism. The rapid rise and success of the ICU had more to do with this sentiment than anything else. Tribalism is now largely confined to aiding immediate relatives (kin relationships), as it was initially intended.

I think we should distinguish between the two forms of tribalism – the first is extreme, in that it often leads to direct confrontation between clans; and the milder, more familiar second form – this one is essentially political in nature. I would argue that the latter best defines the sort of tribalism present in Somalia today. This form of tribalism (political) is common place right around the globe. It is perfectly normal. It revolves around valid questions such as structure of government, form of constitution and its indivisibility, division of resources etc.

As rightly highlighted by the ICU, the Free Parliament and the majority of clans; the current conflict revolves around political questions not tribal ones. This is precisely the reason why the current reconciliation conference has failed.

I refuse to accept the notion that Somalia is in the grip of a tribal conflict. The only groups advocating that idea are foreign powers and their agents in the TFG, both of whose interests lie in dividing Somalis. In a nutshell, this self-perpetuating myth has been planted by foreigners.

The decline of tribalism has been gradual for the last seventeen years and has arrived. It has been erased from the consciousness of most Somalis - all that is left is for the right political conditions to materialise.

Juje   

Originally posted by Emperor:

now am I talking sense at all?

Indeed. However I differ in strenghtening the TFG. My case I think you outlined already - since you agree that the TFG has no face value in its current form, you should also realise sxb that the strenght it requires is not within it.

For that I say the TFG is yes an entity we need, but in a form where it is representative and balanced in authority, power and decission making. An entity which all its organs are independent from each other, yet compliment.

In my view sxb the TFG cannot no longer be limited to those who established it in Dofarey. Others should be included, especially those who establisfed an effective authority in its absence. Hence this will eradicate the dominance and abuse of power within it and elimanate the Ethiopian influence. Above all it will mirror those that it wants to governance.

See sxb, all I want is acceptable and inclussive governance, I dont care who leads, for all I care it could be the devil himself, Duke I mean. :D

RedSea   

What clans and what peace between what clans exactly.

While this bogus conference was going on there were inter clan fighting in central somalia. The most amzing this is those two sub clans made peaceful deal in their own in hotel in xamar.

AYOUB   

As around 2,500 delegates and observers gathered for a closing ceremony in northern Mogadishu amid tight security, diplomats called for a new approach to solve Somalia's chronic anarchy.

"We know this conference has gone nowhere. The problem is blind confidence in the TFG (transitional federal government)," a foreign diplomat told AFP, but Somali elders argued that at least such talks had been managed.

These diplomats don't understand that the more unscrupulous uncles attend this sort of events, the less remittances they demand from cheerleading nephews abroad. Lucky for some. smile.gif