Sign in to follow this  
Ace of Spadez

Somali Conundrum: Failure in leadership!

There are a great number of people who proclaim they are doing a service to address the dire conditions of the masses. They can have many titles, positions, political persuasion, what have you, yet the bottom line is their inability to produce any tangible results. I recently came across the below article, and I thought I should share it with every one as it can depict the situation of any town in the Somali Peninsula. The below article speaks of the lack of development in Lascanood. Although the article tries to explain the many reasons, it has side stepped the biggest one. This being, the lack of leadership that has left this town to not reach its full potential; case in point, the traditional chief is vacationing in Europe while the populace continue to hack it away in disillusionment. We get a few photo-ops on his journey, for what nobody knows. What will he bring back? Will he lead his people to prosperity? Will all the competing NGO’s and the like who say they represent the town actually do the bidding of their people or the bidding of their stomach? I’d say this is not isolated incident, it has become routine for so called officials to carry begging bowls across the western world, all in the name of helping Somalis. When will this stop? I don’t know, but I think its time we said not in our names.

The article I’m alluding to can be found here:

http://www.jidbaale.com/fullpage.php?sscid=3644&PHPSESSID=32dfe5b1dc57ee58b62e91bfe4b656f4

Horumarka Gobolka Yaa Hortaagan? - Ismaacil Ducaale Aftaag

Baashi   

Originally posted by Spadez:

I’d say this is not isolated incident, it has become routine for so called
officials to carry begging bowls across the western world
, all in the name of helping Somalis.

Some would say that the officials and/or the clan chiefs are acting as fund-raisers seeking financial support for a cause. It is all about seeing things for what they are. Yes there is an element of corruption but by and large hospitals, schools, and what have you, have benefited the very fund raising activities you seem to be dismissing as being carrying a begging bowl.

As to the young Garaad since when he become responsible for the political mishaps? I don't know him personally but I find the accusations leveled against him unsubstantiated.

Good topic indeed although i didn't open the link but the topic itself is worth discussing if some members don't ruin the discussion.

I consider Laascaanood my second hometown in the country and i know a lot of thing in that particular region. Well, i believe.

There two major problems tackling the development of the region:

1- Lack of leadershiop: This is what you've mentioned in the topic and YES there is no committed leadership in the region. I'm not talking about the people (general public) but i'm talking about the leadership. They are divided into more than 3 groups. To be honest some are with Somaliland, some are with the TFG and some are with the ICU/Asmara group while others seem to be silent for the moment. Instead of working to develop the region those groups are chasing each other and focusing on their political activities only.

2- The region is disputed: Yes it is. The region is between Somaliland and puntland disputes and will never be developed until this problem is solved. I'm not questioning why Somaliland and why puntland but to be stick to the fact that the dispute is there whetever someone would translate it. Look at those disputed regions in the world, they've never been developed.

PUNTLAND

Most of the region is under direct administration of puntland although some parts are under somaliland management and control. If you look closely you'll see that puntland has not planned for the region towards any development programs. For example, if you look at THIS you can see the region is not included in the development programs so far. I don't know what else and i don't live in puntland but i'm refering to the official website of the puntland administration. I've seen a lot of people from that region and some of them clearly complain that puntland and the TFG (although it is new) only know how to collect soldiers from the region.

I've been hearing a lot that people are coming to the region to request more personnel to be armed for either puntland or TFG. Thousands of young people are now in Mogadishu to fight against those who are opposing the tfg. So far, the region have not gained any returns of their sacrifice. People are doing their best but the external support is missing even from those living in the abroad are not doing that much to encourage and implement a development projects.

SOMALILAND

Somaliland doesn't control most of the region so still their role is limited. Even those they control they never developed. They only bring troops to station that areas to say it is our territory and that is it. I've seen some development projects aimed for the region but they always get lost in the middle of no where. Some ppl from the region always get some funds and they never reach the destination. That is well-known here and i personally know some ppl.

Somaliland always talk about the region in general just like puntland is doing but i've never seen any detailed development program. When i asked some ppl why they don't implement some projects they told me they don't control the region so they don't have access. For me it is just a weak justification but even those areas they control are not developed and not yet seen any projects there.

One story i remember is that, WHO was doing a Polio campaign and they sent a team from Hargeisa to Laascaanood to do the vaccination with all the materials. As soon as the arrived laascaanood the puntland administration took over the equipments, arrested the team and took all the medicines to Garowe. Finally the vaccination was done in Garowe instead of Laascaanood. I was listening to the BBC when they asked someone from puntand why they did this and he was saying it was illegal to send teams from Hargeisa because laascaanood is part of Puntland.

Well, that is a point and for the moment laascaanood is under puntland administration but what did the people of laascaanood do to loose the vaccination ? at least they could send another team from Garowe then implement the vaccination campaign in Lascaanood itself.

IN CONCLUSION

Untill those problems are solved (although it is hard to solve) then the region will still be behind in the development programs.

The region is under military influence for the moment, puntland is in laascaanood and somaliland is few KMs from the city. Anything can happen any minute that can destroy the whole region.

I heard Dahabshiil was recently doing a great job by providing some asssistance to Laascaanood hospital. it is a step forward but we still need to come up with more solutions.

NGONGE   

Aaah, what the hell! Fund raising events are not the same as ONE person travelling around the place and picking up hard cash, Baashe. It's a sick Somali tradition and I can't see anyway of defending it. I wonder if Mr Yusuf got any 'change' when he was recently in London. :D

Baashi   

War ka daa Ngonge :D Ahem! Fundraising activities have one thing in common and that is they are all about collecting money. Now whether one man attempts to collect green or an organization throws a blak tie event doesn't matter...well it matters a bit but at the end of the day money is what is collected.

Why do I have the feeling that you have beef with nomads' style of collecting money :D ? As to presideny Yussuf ahem what you don't know is the man gives away money nowadays :D War ninkaa nin war hayaba ma aha.

NGONGE   

^^ Sophist, flattery will get you everywhere. I hereby apologise for any slur or insult (actual or imagined) directed towards the young Garad. smile.gif

Heh. Baashe, so there is such a time when the tables are turned?

ps

Recently (and Northerner might want to look away now), one of the big fish of Somaliland came for a visit to London. The womenfolk (including my very own Mrs) made a sizeable collection and hired a hall to welcome this old man to London! This was fundraising for him and not for any projects back home (at least that's as far as I know). I don't believe this is an isolated incident.

pps

You sure about Mr Yusuf? :D

Baashi   

Ahem! you see the big fish has his admirers and from what you posted he never forced anyone to go such lengths in welcoming him. Ya see the lady's and other womenfolk's activities fall under fund raiser definition. They are collecting money for a cause: welcoming a respected elder.

Now you may not share their enthusiasm or interest in this fella but they are true to their heart.

Hold your horses now the word is out that Inna Yusuf has spent all the money in his coffers on the reconciliation gathering. It is true though...few weeks back he was giving away green in bundless.