Sign in to follow this  
Warmoog

Politics in the Mosque

Warmoog   

It’s said 'there is a time and place for everything’, but I wonder if the saying has fallen on deaf ears. Talk of Somali politics and/or tribalism consistently shows up at the most inappropriate of places and times (at wedding ceremonies, social gatherings, etc.). And on some occasions, seemingly inappropriate remarks are heard from the most unlikely of people.

For instance, in this city, there’s at least one Somali wadaad who incorporates anti-Somaliland rhetoric into his sermons. A wadaad is entitled to his opinion on political matters, as are all other individuals. With that said, let’s put side the nature of his remarks for the moment (regardless of whether they be anti-Somaliland, anti-Ethiopia, etc.). Instead, let’s focus on several other factors which might help prevent a future discussion from veering off course: namely, the role/influence of religious leaders and, thus, the weight of their words; as well as the purpose of a mosque and the presence of political discourse in such a place of worship.

Keeping those things in mind, my questions to nomads and aliens alike are the following: Firstly, what place (if any) does or should politics have in a place of worship? Secondly, do religious leaders have a right to incorporate political remarks into their sermons (keeping in mind those remarks are against members of their own religious community)? And thirdly, do religious leaders have a moral obligation to remain objective or at least tight-lipped about political issues which have a potential to cause splits within a Muslim community… or should they be allowed to speak freely, like all other individuals?

I’ll share my views on this issue in due time.

Salaamz.

Yasmine, why don't you tell us about the incident. It sound freaky if not frightening to hear a religious scholar to give such sermons. However, I'm not the least bit surprised, since during the 1988-1991 war in the North certain clerics have been praying for the destruction of what they called the ethiopian invasion against the Somali National Army, when infact it was Somali people who were being eliminated like one exterminates locusts with a cropduster.

Rahima   

This I realise is a sensitive issue but honesty must always be upheld.

Islamically speaking, we are meant to work towards the establishment of an Islamic state where the Khalifa is the head of state. Therefore, the greater division of already existing Muslims lands (as in the case of Somalia and Indonesia- with ACEH fighting for independence) is in essence wrong- as far as I’m aware. Moreover, the Islamic stance on this issue is that we are meant to advice our leaders and try to keep unity (so long as the caqiida is the same-which it is for Somalis). I cannot speak for this particular shaykh (only Allah is aware of his intentions) but the idea of Muslim countries dividing further is wrong, we are to work towards an Islamic state. This is why I worry about my views (of let anyone who wants independence have it) considering it is not in accordance with Islamic thinking. Wa laahu aclum.

Just so that I don’t get unnecessarily attacked, I would make the same remark if any other region were vowing for secession.

Firstly, what place (if any) does or should politics have in a place of worship?

Politics is always incorporated into Islam irrespective of place. We do not believe in the notion of separating the state and Masjid, give unto Caesar what is Caesars and give unto God what is Gods is a null and void notion in Islam.

or should they be allowed to speak freely, like all other individuals?

Of course not, they have a higher position and with that comes responsibility. Nevertheless, this and speaking the truth do not necessarily have to come at the cost of one another. However, it is the responsibility of Islamic speakers to be cautious about what they say and therefore convey any points in ways which will not be deemed anti-others of the same community. We want to create unity not more disunity.

Anyway, I personally don’t believe we are at a time for Shaykhs to be making such comments, we have greater dilemmas to think of.

Warmoog   

Spadez,

That incident was disturbing, but unfortunately worse has taken place both inside and outside the mosques of this city... it’s nothing new. In fact, it goes back to the early 1990s. For instance, after Siyaad Barre’s regime attacked northern cities in ’88 and people fled from those areas, some of the reer waqooyi Somalis in Toronto tried to collect donations for them. But several reer confur wadaads – who honestly should have been leading the cause to help the masaakiin - began to tell the Pakistanis and other Muslims that they shouldn’t give charity to that cause because the other Somalis were liars, they were working with kuffar, the money was going towards kuffar and an un-Islamic cause, etc. That incident was one of the initial instigators to the tensions that exist to this day. A lot has happened since then and it has only added to the problems… the remarks by that wadaad I mentioned are just one of the more recent occurrences.

Rahima and Spadez, I’m a little pressed for time right now but I’ll come back soon to share my thoughts…

Salaama.

Xudeedi   

Hi to all NOmads.

I draw two possible assumptions from this inductive reasoning. The Sheikh is perhaps a patriot who doesn't like to see his brothers and sisters leave the Somali diversity, so he is appealing to religious tenets that unity is important in sustaining the foundations of brotherhood.

I have also seen this type of scenerio several times, especially during the special friday sermon, there are Sheikhs who publicize their distaste for our division, emphasizing the existance of various numerous social communities in every city overseas. I think it is normal to infuse politics in sermons.

Warmoog   

Well, I fail to understand the logic compelling any wadaad to antagonize and alienate members of his own religious community simply because they adhere to a certain political ideology. In the eyes of some, a sort of tactless honesty probably brought his comments forth. But, in all fairness, his remarks were based on personal opinion. It's one thing to share personal views with friends or whomever, but it's another thing to sermonize them into a microphone after Friday prayer. The wadaad has a right to speak freely, particularly on matter which he feels are of great importance, but I think that right is far out-weighed by his moral duty to keep the peace within his religious community.

After all, religious leaders have a moral obligation to keep our communities together. In times such as these, when there is constant talk of controversial political issues that have the potential to cause splits within Somali communities, I think they should either be objective - which, understandably, is very difficult - or they should at least remain close-lipped about their political views (i.e. keep those views out of their sermons). It’s not a matter of separating politics and the mosque. It has more to due with the immense role of a religious leader and his moral duty to keep his community together… and by ‘his community’ I mean all Somali Muslims.

BTW – I don’t think Muslim religious leaders should promote political ideologies that are based outside Islam. And I think the notion that ‘Somali Weyn’ is in accordance with Islamic thinking is highly arguable.

Salaama.

Rahima   

And I think the notion that ‘Somali Weyn’ is in accordance with Islamic thinking is highly arguable

How so sister?

Is it not part of our faith that we work towards the establishment of the one Islamic State headed by a khalifah? Let us just put Somali politics aside for a second and concentrate on this fundamental issue of Islam.

I personally would be interested how you came to the conclusion that the establishment of an Islamic state under the one leader is arguable.

If, however you do agree that this is an important aspect of Islam, then you must agree that the concept of somaliweyn is part of it for it is a stepping stone to achieving the greater goal. To believe in the further division of already existing Islamic states is to contradict this critical point.

Warmoog   

Rahima,

Walaal, I didn't say the establishment of an Islamic state is arguable. I said the notion that 'Somali Weyn' is in accordance with Islamic thinking is arguable. In my opinion, it's too fuzzy of a concept to say that it’s entirely in agreement with Islamic thought. This may sound odd, but I think people need to define the term ‘Somali’ before anyone can put a finger on exactly who Somali Weyn represents.

There are certain elements of Somali Weyn which seem to agree with Islamic ideals. After all, the unification of a slightly scattered Muslim populace is the core principle. I think it’s evident, however, that the concept is concerned mainly with people of one specific ethnicity - those who’re ‘Somali’… roughly 10 or so million people out of over a billion Muslims. There're large non-Somali Muslim populations inhabiting East Africa (Oromo, Sudanese, Afar, etc.) but this particular philosophy could care less about them. As we know, Islam is a very inclusive religion… which is one of the reasons those who adhere to it are so diverse (masha’allah). But I think the exclusive nature of the Somali Weyn ideology tends to contradict with the inclusive principles of Islam.

Salaama.

Rahima does nationalism == Islamic Khalifah? I'm not scholar but I believe nationalism is against Islam. As far as I'm concerned, Somaliweyn is pure nationalism.

In the light of the above, if indeed it is correct, then I would agree with Yasmine in saying that Imam's should refrain from politics, specially here in the west.

mopp deep...lol they're all nationalism...but you don't hear somaliland people saying for the sake of allah .lol be in somaliland... you see myfriend.... that's the difference :D:D:D:D we say for the sake of your interestes, and our interests, and our collective interests...lol be in somaliland smile.gif

OG_Girl   

Sorry I don't want to comment about the topic , But what about this flag every one carring as avatar? is fashion in politics section Nomads?

Salam

Rokko   

Originally posted by Spadez:

but you don't hear somaliland people saying for the sake of allah

ok Mujahid. ;)

See where I am getting at. Many nomads are probably laughing. lol

I think Soomaalidu waa isma dhaantiyo dhasheede, waxaa wanaagsan inaad this comparison iska dayso, sababtoo ah waad ku ceeboobi. :D

looooool..mobb how many times do i have to tell you the time of snm is over...lol...come on bro....lets talk about here and now... smile.gif somaliland does not delude itself that it is serving the interests of islam.....that's one place you can attack it...but the question is who can make that attack...you and me....or some one who believes in nationalism himself, the same crime somaliland is commiting???? do you see my point my friend