Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

18th MAY: Much ado about nothing.......

We have come accustomed to the many claims of our secessionist friends, most one would think uttered under the influence of strong hallucinogenic substances of some sort.

These groups celebrate the independence day of an unrecognized nation, waving the flag which is predominantly held aloft by a single clan from the Somali republic.

While I will admit to being the first to enjoy a good party, and do not mind the excuses made to hold a shindig. One does chuckle at the realization that some of these folks especially the gullible young amongst the dies hard secessionist groups, actually believe in this fallacy. To them Somaliland is a real nation populated by exceptional individuals who created “Miracle of Africa” and who according to their ill informed external media reporters have left us fellow Somali’s in “limbo”.

Again the author is in no way downplaying the significant achievements of the clans of the North West of Somalia for their hard won peace and one must take pride in the achievements of any segment of the society that one belongs to.

However, deluding one’s self, no doubt eventually lead to failure and despair. The secessionist camp seems to be repeating, rehashing and recycling the same old, tired arguments. The fact that they have not achieved any real strides in domestically, economically or in foreign affairs. The fact that the coveted and much sort after recognition has yet to materialize, has meant that they have been left with the one thing they now best, putting together one hell of a party.

Duke

Dont take the words of the Duke... Here is a secessionist breaking it down..

source

Foreign policy failures:

Further, the old Somali adage illustrates the situation and the consequences that stem from this remarkably well: be a mountain or have a mountain to lean on. The government's foreign policy has been a disaster, which has left us without allies in our region.
To the East we have Somalia claiming part of our land, to the West we have Ethiopia who supports Somaliland's enemy (Abdullahi Yusuf and his government)
, and Djibouti has been a supporter of ICU(/UIC)-remnants. If we move beyond, we have a Kenya and Yemen friendly to the TFG and Eritrea being an ally of the ICU. In fact,
even agitators in Ethiopia (the OLF) support the TFG as a consequence of Riyalle's decision to frame their people as terrorists
;)
while seeking US support. The consequence of this has been a tremendous loss to the Somaliland business community. Somaliland is thus effectively left without allies and with a weakened business community to support our efforts to defend ourselves. Somaliland's security and future existence is at risk, as in one of the most hostile and dangerous regions of the world Somaliland are left without an ally and have indeed alienated those that could constitute allies to our cause.

It should not be left unmentioned either that Riyalle congratulated Abdullahi Yusuf's "success" in ousting the ICU. Did he forget that Abdullahi Yusuf's militia also occupies Somaliland territory- Sool and Sanaag? Does he not remember that Abdullahi Yusuf is the same man that vowed that he would defeat Somaliland and bring it ‘back' to the South? How can our President endorse the same man that is committed to our destruction?

Domestic policy failures:

Related to the above foreign policy discussion, we have had the President's failure to protect the homelands of our peoples.
Parts of Sool and Sanaag have been under Puntland occupation for nearly 4 years
:D
without a robust response from the government. The army is overworked and yet it is not provided with the best possible organization and equipment necessary to protect the nation. It is still without a hierarchical structure and organization, which would maximize its defence and fighting capabilities. The fact that the country lacks a national radio is problematic for our defence forces too. At the present time they are in fact forced to entertain the obscene broadcasts of our enemies with devastating consequences for morale. The President and the Cabinet lack the courage, vision, and wisdom to adequately defend the nation.

Quit claiming other peoples land, while waving that clan flag..

The Nation's Fledging Economy:

Economically, there is presently
no viable and dynamic economic policy for the nation
which results in a poor nation without an industrial economy. Our economy previously relied upon livestock exports, whereas the economy is now obliterated and the country relies upon
remittances.

He goes on to highlight.

Moreover, inflation is rampant in the country and little keeps it from reaching Zimbabwean standards. The reasoning being that Somaliland's currency is not only distributed by the central bank, but
also by Puntland. [/b
The devastating inability to introduce and distribute our own unique currency is the source of this and Burco, quite ironically the birth-place of Somaliland, is flooded by the Somali currency of the Siad Barre era. An implication being that the money decreases in value while real cost of living increases- a catastrophe for a society ravaged by unemployment and lack of purchasing power since poverty is reaching new heights.

The author goes on to explain that whoever wins in the south will no doubt invade Somaliland.

Will we have the military capability to effectively counter an invasion? Riyalle's poor defence policy is an unlikely deterrent of these threats we are faced by, and we should not forget Riyalle's congratulations of Abdullahi Yusuf's "success" in Mogadishu and his dubious loyalty to Somaliland's cause

This is not NewsWeek or Aljazeera, this is a secssionist breaking it down.

Thus we await the secessionist without much fuss to counter these somewhat disturbing claims regarding the state of the phantom country that only exist in the area of a single clan.

To conclude I will close with the remarks of this secessionist sympathiser.

It is at this anniversary, though faced with an immense threat at our borders, a near extinct economy, and a kleptomaniac leader who has greatly abused his powers that we must make some of our toughest decisions yet. It is not a day to celebrate; the anniversary calls for remembrance of our fallen SNM heroes and deep reflection on the tumultuous road ahead.
;)

Duke

Duke this thread is something i would never expect from you lool.

Its clear that you are unionist by heart but i have noticed that you search high and low on anything to water down the brightness of Somaliland. The birth of somaliland was celebrated throughout the world by somalilanders and somalis. The bridge in expecting the existences of somaliland is slowly being expected by other somalis. The amazing achievements as you correctly pointed out is something rarely found in developing nations that faced war and a civil war too. That by itself is also another facter landers should celebrate. Your points that somaliland did not achieve any real strides in domestically, economically or in foreign affairs cracked me up because of how ridicules its sounds old boy. Let me break it down for you ok

Strides made by somaliland domestically is to be the first nation or in your case Duke (area)lol to have three democrataic elections local, region and national which seen by the outside world from the U.S. to the E.U to be free and fair compared to lets say our neighbors, such as Ethopia, Djubuti and Erteria. Three Universites came to be with in somaliland. Somalis all over come to Amoud Unveristy, Hargaisa University and Buro Unveristy with more being built throughout the region. Before the creation of somaliland no university and i will repeat it one more time for you No Universties existed in the north expect for the Capatil. The biggiest thing of all that happened that you fail to see is peace happened with the creation of the state, no war no fight no death domestically.

economically, the explosion of Telcom Business, Airlines operated Privately the first in nation were as before the state owned the air lol. Money wiring companies like Dashbil, restaurants, hotels, i can go on and on with what the private sector as done old boy for the people even more the government. Even Al-jezeria did a program on Somaliland economic boom, one of my brothers here posted it on SOL so you should check it out.

Foregin affairs wise while we are not still recognized, somaliland officials have meet with Presidents, Parliamentarians of other nations from Ghania, UK, Kenya and Ethiopia. Links were made with Ethiopia, Djubuti and trade to gulf such as UEA for goods. U.N. uses the somaliland port to transport food over land when the seas are to dangerous. The somaliland vice president meet with lord Tiresman in UK this May 16, Denemark or Sweden i forgot which one of them will be dealing with aid with somaliland Separate then with Somalia. So somaliland foreign policy is growing and changing for what it was back in 1991 with no nation not even looking at us to them now engaging us.

So brother Duke in closing dont use what this brother wrote as fact as end all to be all. The author is worried on the leadership of somaliland, the securing of the eastern border, the aspect of the government of tring to control the economey instead of the letting the free market work, all these are vaild points but they are only part of the over all picture of what is happening in somaliland. In your region employees from the policeman to the officer are not payed, so should assume the Puntland state will fall, Banditry occurs should i assume the state will fall if i travel around your state or take a ship and go through your waters. My point being Duke, taking opinion articles and brushing what the author says as the true picture on the ground is foolish to use as debate point, i myself can find articles about the wrongs of Puntland by puntlander, should i claim it to be all 100% pictures on the ground? Opinion surves to give us view points on how others view issue but they are as i stated before the end all to be all of things. So will close by saying happy May 16th AKA (The best kept secret in Africa) Somaliland

Somalithinker, I am pleased you responded in defence of the Somaliland project.

However was I unfair in my simple analysis of the situation on the ground?

Also the evidance I presented was not from a unionist but the author is a secessionist and the site which posted it is a Somaliland one.

I would never play down the achievements of my own people saxib. But a small dose of reality is essential in movong forward.

NASSIR   

The birth of somaliland was celebrated throughout the world by somalilanders and somalis.

Are there such terms of reference to begin with? It amounts to incongruous distortion of a none-existant identity. That term "somalilander" had never been used until the evolved secessionists form within Somalia started deploying it in an apperant attempt to distinguish themselves from Somalis in general.

Which one do you prefer? I have heard of many terms used by the secessionists. I am not Somali but a "Somalilander", no I am a Somali from "Somaliland". :D

Thanks for replying back. I now the auther is Somalilander and the sources you got it from is from Pro-Somalilander website. What i was pointing to was that it was opinion article in the website from that person point of view on situation in somaliland. I dont not thing using it as debate point to waterdown somaliland issue was correct on your point. What you were pointing and using to back your claim against somaliland is a simplistic view old boy. Like i said its easy to paint a small picture of something and claim it to be true. I am glad you expect achievements made by us Landers.

For Caamir, dont have a uff and puff on the terms somalilanders and somali lol. Somali is my Ethnic identity but not my national one old boy. When i say somalilander i see it as an egyptian see themselves or as Moroccan classifies themselves. Case point in the Egyptians and Moroccans is that while they are ethnically Arab they call themselves in terms of their national identity not ethnic thus while i am somali ethnically my nationality is form somaliland thus i am somalilander get it. So your question what i prefer to be called old by is somalilander because thats the nation i represent ethnically you can call me somali lol

Thanks for replying back. I now the auther is Somalilander and the sources you got it from is from Pro-Somalilander website. What i was pointing to was that it was opinion article in the website from that person point of view on situation in somaliland. I dont not thing using it as debate point to waterdown somaliland issue was correct on your point. What you were pointing and using to back your claim against somaliland is a simplistic view old boy. Like i said its easy to paint a small picture of something and claim it to be true. I am glad you expect achievements made by us Landers.

For Caamir, dont have a uff and puff on the terms somalilanders and somali lol. Somali is my Ethnic identity but not my national one old boy. When i say somalilander i see it as an egyptian see themselves or as Moroccan classifies themselves. Case point in the Egyptians and Moroccans is that while they are ethnically Arab they call themselves in terms of their national identity not ethnic thus while i am somali ethnically my nationality is form somaliland thus i am somalilander get it. So your question what i prefer to be called old by is somalilander because thats the nation i represent ethnically you can call me somali lol

RedSea   

Somali thinker,

....is on fire. You got this boy, you have commanding control over them. Although I shouldnt' be saying anything, but for the fun of it, why not...you know what the heck.

Have you wondered why these lads all of sudden wake up just to write about Somaliland the next day all of sudden, well because it burns them. Somaliland honestly itches them, they cannot stand it.

usually those who itch have nothing else to fall back on that would ease their irritation.

The TFG that they support happens to be a foreing product which has no support from its own civilians.

Even the mini state of Puntland that used to be compared to Somaliland as far as peace and stability has become choatic launching pad for xabashi forces to launch their dirty missions to oppress other somalis.

somaliland is still standing, still developing, and hasn't taken any steps back since the Somaliland civil wars in mid 1990s.

As for May the 18th....

we already did. Celebrations are over, now it's time to get to work until next year.

Peace and tranquilty somalilanders, see you next year Insha Allah.

Ignore those whose nighmare is Somaliland, let it haunt them for the rest of their lives.