Sign in to follow this  
nemo

Is it ok for a chick not to know how to cook?

nemo   

Salam everyone I was wondering if it’s ok for a Somalia girl not to know how to cook?

I am the eldest in the family and I am not the best cook in the world I have to admit but does that matter or not? My younger brother is a better cook than me and cooks way more than me.

But I still do contribute around the house :D

The reason why I can’t cook well is that I absolutely hate cooking and would do anything to get away with it eg. Clean the house (I prefer to clean the whole house than cook one meal).

I would like to know if any of you brothers would ever marry a chick that can't cook (not that im looking for one right now) and is there any other sister here that can't cook? Confess sisters I can’t be the only Somalia girl that doesn’t know how to cook!! Could I be? :confused:

ZOLA   

hi chick,

i dont think u r alone... i nver really cook besides my early morning coffee. its not that i dont like cooking but i never really get the chance to cook....some think my mother really spoiled me but thats not the case...i was actually a better cook when i was younger an living in South Asia.am sure i do have some cooking skills that i dont utilize..

so, dont worry u will learn how to cook 1 day.

A.A

J.Lee   

My brothers decided to be the cooks of the house until I became of age and when I did, I was too set in my "tomboyish" ways to master the art.

I learned to cook though ( by watching the Food channel :D ) but like Malaika I don't cook by choice.

All in all:

I, too, am domestically challenged.

nemo   

Thanks sis, I feel so much better now to know that im not alone.

South asia you used to live woow is that autralia by in chance?

cheers

Xoogsade   

The answer is simply no. When a girl is single and staying with parents(probably in her teen years), she may have some excuse like having siblings who cook for the family instead of her. But as the girl leaves the comfort of her own family and becomes a wife, and eventually a mother, knowing how to cook is not only important but a must. For the sake of her own kids if not for anyone else.

nemo   

But as the girl leaves the comfort of her own family and becomes a wife, and eventually a mother, knowing how to cook is not only important but a
must.
For the sake of her own kids if not for anyone else.

xoogsade, a Must what about the father in that equation......what about him, he can cook for the family while me I do what I do best CLEANING its called sharing. And are you saying you would never marry a chick that can't cook? Is cooking the first qualities you look for in a chick?

Do YOU know how to cook Xoogsade, or is cooking something that's beneath men?

smile.gif (<--- misleading)

Chicka, Your not alone, I hate cooking with passion. I never in my life met anyone who loves cooking unless they're making a ridiculous amount of money doing so. Which reminds me, why are most chefs men, but when you expect them to do so at home...all of a sudden it's a woman's job? That really pisses me off. :mad: I'd rather see true representation in the cooking shows and the whole dangit business.

Anyway, No I don't cook and when I do, it takes so much time, I'm usally left hot, tired, cranky, and thought of eating what I made and cleaning the dirty dishes makes me want to vomit. So I clean the house and my mom cooks.

But let me tell you a secret : If your somali all you have to learn is to cook one variety of canjeelo, rice, pasta, beans, chicken and tea and baby, your set for life. :cool: That is after all the crap we eat day in and day out. I'm sick of it but it's easier to make it than actuallly spend the time to learn something new. redface.gif

Xoogsade   

nameless-chick,

of course, your husband will cook for you, but at some point of time, you will have to learn from him if you don't know how to cook so that in the event of him being tied outside home and you choose otherwise(stay-home mom), he doesn't have to come home from work and at the same time cook for the entire family. That would be unfair don't you think?

You may like and prefer cleaning over cooking which is fine, but conditions will twist your arm to learn a trade you don't like to accomodate the needs of your family. So you better start learning right now than wait to burden your farax ya know.

I know couple of oh-me-so-educated girls who were lazy when they stayed with their families and hardly cooked for hooyo but became best cooks when they met mr.perfect before they even got married to the guy. How sweet :D

Does that answer your question nameless-chick?

Scarlet.

I know how to cook ;) I also know your smile was misleading one, cooking is not beneath men but girls have to learn how to cook.

Blessed   

For the love of bariis, malawax and mango lassie; why must everything revolve around a man? At times I feel like grabbing sisters by their hair and bashing their heads against the wall.

Walaal, you should know how to cook (and keep your home clean) for your survival . Simple! Mummy will not be around or willing to take care off you forever. Take away food is bad for you and your bank.

Originally posted by Scarlet:

I never in my life met anyone who loves cooking unless they're making a ridiculous amount of money doing so.

I do. I was a little put off when I was at my moms because I was forced to make bariis and hilib eevvvery day. But, I love food, (if I like something, I like tom know how to make it). I also love good cooks (I often invite myself to tejir homes :D ) and would like to be one like my hooyo one day.

^WRONG! Life actually, my friend, revolves around the sun! :D

Blessed, sweetie, come sit beside me and teach me to love cooking.

Hon, don't worry about it..your husband will either pretend to like your cooking or if its really that bad, he can cook if he wants.

Women are not all born to be natural cookers (perfect example is me--cant cook for ish)..and neither are men..get the drift?

nemo   

scarlet, thanks sis so there are others like me...how came when I ask girls I know they all seem to know like they were born to cook...but am feelng better now.

xoogsade, I do understand what you saying and I don't expect my future husband to work and cook for me aint that lazy...but for the time being I

will leave with my mum and brother the cooking and me clearning :D

Blessed   

Xoogsade smart@ss, you know what I meant. If these girls can't be bothered to cook for their family and help their mothers out why are they so concerned with Farax.

There's more to being a wife then your cooking abilities and if a Farax is going to change his mind about a girl, simply because she's domestically challenged, then maybe, he isn't the right Farax for her.

I don't see the need to get so insecure about it or to reduce yourselves (ladies) to a mere jaariyad.

I'll say it again; every human being should be to cook. It shouldn’t just be a skill to add to guur CV – or the focus of it in this case.

Scarlet

Sure babes, we'll just go to few restaurants and I'll send some cookbooks your way. You know the ones with the pics that make you droooool.....

*feels hungry*

Xoogsade   

nameless-chick

Fair enough. Thanks for being understanding. Much respect to you abaayo.

Scarlet.

That as well ;)

Blessed.

That is a good point really. I should have made that one to win some hearts and minds in these hostile territory. Yea, and I knew what you meant sis but wanted to make you talk. If I haven't pushed you a little, you wouldn't have come back with a good point would you? Thanks.