Sign in to follow this  
Nephissa

Diamond

Nephissa   

Say you got a diamond ring from fiance, he said it was a 3 carat, 20,000 dollar ring! Whoa! You're over the top, showed it off to all of your family, friends, clients, and colleagues. When you went to get it appraised, the truth was exposed [drum roll please].. it was just glass :D . You feel outraged, disappointed, and humiliated. Now you want to kill that ***ard, but is it because a) the ring isn't worth squat, or b) he lied about it?

Naden   

Diamonds are the most useless garbage shoved down people's throats. Sure, you can tuck them away as an investment for future sale but I just don't understand this insistence upon plastering them onto marriage and proposals.

Kill him? Please! They deserve each other, the lying weasel and the superficial hag.

Hope you're not writing about people close to you. In that case, she has every right to be mad until he replaces the ring. Then, it's love-love for the lovely couple.

Curly   

A diamond ring in the way of metaphors I would say is a brilliant way to express your undying love and commitment. It’s rare, withstands all and tough.

If my fiancé did something like that to me, I’d first ask if he knew it was glass and if he did and lied I would be very upset but I don’t think it would be enough to stop me marrying the person. I hope there are more endearing reasons for your decision to marry the guy in the first place other than the rock he gave you.

Nephissa   

^ Once a liar, always a liar. If he lies about something like this, then imagine all the stuff he will lie to you about in the future.

Originally posted by Naden:

Diamonds are the most useless garbage shoved down people's throats. Sure, you can tuck them away as an investment for future sale but I just don't understand this insistence upon plastering them onto marriage and proposals.

Kill him? Please! They deserve each other, the lying weasel and the superficial hag.

Hope you're not writing about people close to you. In that case, she has every right to be mad until he replaces the ring. Then, it's love-love for the lovely couple.

You're just weird! :D . It's NOT a *garbage*, they sparkle real pretty and you know it, don't be a hater. I'll take a GIANT diamond any day! I stare at mine all the time. Girls Oooo and AAaaaah over it, and I just smile. They don't have enough balls to ask if it's real. :D .

Curly   

See I personally think that's the reason the divorce rate is at an all time high, if you think something like that is enough to evaluate your whole relationship.

If your sibling lied to you about something would you disown them? I'm not saying put up with domestic violence but have the understanding that we're all human and we're able to make mistakes. The question is can you admit to it and learn from it?

Nuriya   

So I bought this very topic up (the concept of diamond rings as a symbol of engagement) to a somali guy once and he says he's not opposed to the whole giving of the diamond ring thing and wouldn't mind giving one for a birthday or even Eid. But he wouldn't want to put a monetary value on his xabibti's companionship.

Now, it could just be me, but that makes a lot of sense. Plus, it's not even part of our culture.

Nephissa   

Diamond rings may not be customary, but in Islam a man is supposed to give his pride-to-be jewelry and other finery within his ability.

Originally posted by Sue:

See I personally think that's the reason the divorce rate is at an all time high, if you think something like that is enough to evaluate your whole relationship.

If your sibling lied to you about something would you disown them? I'm not saying put up with domestic violence but have the understanding that we're all human and we're able to make mistakes. The question is can you admit to it and learn from it?

Don't forget, all of this is happening while you're still single. Would you build a relationship and future with deception as your foundation? I wouldn't, absolutely not!

And I would never disown Family! A man I'm in a relationship with is no sibling. If a family member should ever be in the wrong then it's their life. I can only be there to guide them. We don't choose the families we are born into, before we are born into them, unlike marriage; we have a choice! You can choose to be with this dishonest, lying twat or that sweet hot sheikh over there.

Blessed   

I don't know Nephthys, some girls are so dhuuni that men feel obliged to buy big impressive gifts and that could put them into a situation where they have no choice but to lie. If it was a case of me going on and on and on about getting a diamond ring and he delivered what he can afford, I’d be happy to forgive.

However, if it was a case of him just getting me a ring just to show off or to impress me, I’d question his integrity and yes that would worry me, piss me off and he'd get a wagar moment but it still wouldn’t be a deal breaker. People make mistakes and he would (should) have other lovable qualities to him, if he’s someone you were willing to marry, noh?

I don't believe in pressurising men into buying you 'love tokens'. Though it is nice to be surprised, those who place their loves worth on the bling factor deserve glass rings, plastic flowers and silly faaraxs. :rolleyes:

I love diamonds! I would rather own a few diamond pieces than all the gold in the world.

Anyway, it would be unacceptable and a deal breaker to be duped. Especially on something thats supposed to an expression of your bond. Not much of an expression if its glass and breakable, is it now?

don't believe in pressurising men into buying you 'love tokens'. Though it is nice to be surprised, those who place their loves worth on the bling factor deserve glass rings, plastic flowers and silly faaraxs.

Ouch! It’s not about pressuring them; pressure has nothing to do with it after all it’s the woman’s hereditary right to claim the “love tokens” and for him to deliver it- NOT THE FAKE STUFF. If he can no longer afford the “love tokens lol” then he should be a man about it and tell the woman NO rather than lie about it & watch her humiliate herself and lose face to all her friend etc that’s just harsh…

On a serious note- the woman is ****** how can she not know the difference? Second, if the man is resorting to the fake stuff that is a clear tell tell sign that he never had much to begin with, alarm bills about the ring should have been ringing before the ring touched the designated finger, thirdly, the diamond is not just a love token its more than that- its your insurance/safety net for the rainy day that is should anything happen, so lying about it is a big deal. All hell should break lose.

Nephissa   

Originally posted by *Blessed:

I don't believe in pressurising men into buying you 'love tokens'. Though it is nice to be surprised, those who place their loves worth on the bling factor deserve glass rings, plastic flowers and silly faaraxs. :rolleyes:

Little something my mother told me when I was a small child..she said, 'Dear, your bosom can be fake. Your smile can be fake, and your hair color can be fake. But your diamonds and pearls, must always be real.' ;) .

Say no to glass rings and plastic Faraxs, sisters! :D .

Kool_Kat   

Shimee Faaraxyada bilaabeen 3 carat, $20,000 rings inee keenaan? That itself should've been a red flag! Well of course, unless she kept on mentioning the damn thing and he wanted to shut her up with something - anything... :D

Indhaha hala'isaga nuursado hee kand:

33nfczd.jpg

Only a $1000 to touch it!!! :D

Blessed   

^OMG.. does he drive it, tolow? What a waste, Subhan Allah. :(

Originally posted by NGONGE:

NOTHING wrong with plastic flowers, ayeeyo. They last forever.

LMAO. I was honestly not thinking about that. :D Thanks for the reminder, I don't have green fingers, so I have to agree. Tehehehe.

Cynical..

A womans inherited right? If you request a diamond ring as mahr, yeah. Otherwise, I'm not sure, you'll have to break the theory down for me.

Nephthys,

LOL. I like your hooyo. smile.gif These two waa laisu qoray, though.

Cara.   

If I was him, I would act hurt that she went to get it appraised. She obviously doesn't trust him, really he was just testing HER and it is she who failed.

Turn the tables ku dheh ninka :D