Sign in to follow this  
J.Lee

FGM:cultural or religion

J.Lee   

The subject of female genital mutilation is not one that is broached with ease or familiarity. there are circles of invisible barriers and bounderies that are often taboo to permeate. You might call me naive and impressionable but this age old practice rubs me the wrong way and I wanted to explore the dichotomy that exists within the practice of FGM. The mystery and taboo that has embodied this practice and the religious and social pressures that have been woven into the history which enables it to continue to flourish. my arguement is that young girls submit to the mutilation in full belief that it holds religious significance (rather than an pharaonic culture imposed upon them )but there is no documentation of FGM in the koran that make it a required practice so pray tell me why is it often enforced my Imans and muslims who have sanctioned it by declaring we support the practice and sanction it in view of its effect on attenuating the sexual desire of women and directing it to desirable moderation. (Lightfoot-klein,1989, p.42) Do you know that a muslim man failed to penetrate his wife correctly and after continued frantic efforts caused much injury around his wife's sexual organ,eventually creating an open wound. the women expreinced tremendous pain each time they had intercourse and after some time the women developed suicidal depression......so is this ability of infibulation to render a woman incapable of expreciencing sexual pleasure and causing extreme psychological problems really necessary for a positive process either cultural or religious wise........

x_quizit   

Ms Word, you've hit the nail on the head. FGM is a cultural practice rather than a religious one and the only reason people use religion is because it gives legitimacy to the practice. Also people will continue to do it when they hear God has said it, therefore, smart misogynists have misused the Quran to justify their backward thoughts. FGM is practiced by societies that fear a woman's sexuality will "get out of control" and she'll start sleeping around with evertything that walks with 2 legs, short of animals. This, obviously, is a sexist and low view of women and their ability to control their sexual self.To reiterate your point, Islam and FGM do not go together, and for anyone who thinks so, they need to check their facts. Allah does not support female mutilation and its just a practice that existsed in the jahilliah period(period of ignorance) that has persisted to this day. Some Christian and jewish societies also practice it, therefore it nullifies the notion that its strictly something that Islam endorses.

My knowledge is that some parts of somalia and Djibouti, FGM is banned or are working to ban it, but Im sure those that want to put their daughters through it will find some dirty midwife to perform it and spread her germs.

Some consequences of FGM:

1-for some women, extreme cramps during a woman's period

2-difficulty with childbirth

3-no pleasure in sex

4-psychological damage

5-a chance of being infertile

So tell me, those that believe in this non-islamic practice, is it worth it after seeing what women go through or does it even matter as long as it satisfies your ideas of a pure woman.

The irony is, FGM hasn't deterred those that chose a wrong path in life, it just robbed women of being a complete human being just like their counterparts in other societies.

fgm is something passed via the pharaohs to sub-sahara region of africa. its not practised in Arabia, asia etc. here is lil more info..enjoy.

however, nomads gals born in the arabia, usa, canada, europe etc still go through it, since special mothers believe that its required by the holly KORAN which is not true at all.

The different types of mutilation

Female genital mutilation (FGM) is the term used to refer to the removal of part, or all, of the female genitalia. The most severe form is infibulation, also known as pharaonic circumcision. An estimated 15% of all mutilations in Africa are infibulations. The procedure consists of clitoridectomy (where all, or part of, the clitoris is removed), excision (removal of all, or part of, the labia minora), and cutting of the labia majora to create raw surfaces, which are then stitched or held together in order to form a cover over the vagina when they heal. A small hole is left to allow urine and menstrual blood to escape. In some less conventional forms of infibulation, less tissue is removed and a larger opening is left.

The vast majority (85%) of genital mutilations performed in Africa consist of clitoridectomy or excision. The least radical procedure consists of the removal of the clitoral hood.

In some traditions a ceremony is held, but no mutilation of the genitals occurs. The ritual may include holding a knife next to the genitals, pricking the clitoris, cutting some pubic hair, or light scarification in the genital or upper thigh area.

Sophist   

Dichotomy? There isn't one dear. Our mothers had excercised this in order to tame the potential sexual misdeamnor with terrible failure. Assuredly, if the intended pupose of the issue had indeed been realised fully it would have been victory for FGM. Quite unfortunately it had an adverse reaction to the whole purpose-- many ladies going thier way to pretend that they can enjoy the savagery, that is sexual freedom.

Of course there are no religious basis; and I have never heard a responsiby respectable Imam endorsing the matter religiously.

Rudy,

come on lady, what is with the imagary, are you trying to make us all fell...........!

Sorry ladies hadaan hawl aan la iidirsan galay.

Sophist

sophist!! bro! hint!! lol!!

[Rudy,

come on lady, what is with the imagary, are you trying to make us all fell...........!]

Rudy :confused:

what in the world!! last time i check i had a male organ! did some one do an fgm on me while i was taking my siesta! i gotta go to rest room and double check for real!!

:mad: