Sign in to follow this  
Coloow

Nuradin Farah- my candidate for president

Liqaye   

I am gratified you have the peoples welfare at heart, bt i hope the suffering of the people is not raise the mediocre to the sublime.

Baashi   

Entre, I have met him awhile back just after his big win, Neudstadt International price of literature. He was at Linda Hall, U of M, we were about seven Somalis, and the rest were Americans. He was asked to read excerpts from Secrets, one of the trilogies (hope my memory doesn’t fail me). The excerpts he chose shocked me...the setting was Afgoye and it was about a man having sex with a cow in early (morning some1 plz double check this if u have a copy of the book). He was kind enough to meet with us, in private, and pose pictures with us and I asked him about his readers (are Somalis included) and why he hadn’t written in his own native language. He said the Government in power at the seventies censored and practically denied access to Somali readers. He went on to explain that Somali language was written after he come of age as a writer. He is very agreeable man. One of the Somalis kept asking him questions in English and Nuradin gave the answers in Somali...that was awesome, I thought.

I agree with OGUN, I would not recommend him to run let alone vote for him. He ought to do what he does best - writing. He is a qualified citizen to run for the presidency though.

Coloow   

Baashi, saaxib laakin qof waliba oo qoraa ah, wuxuu isticmaala imagination- points of references, theories etc.

Tusaale, haddii aad qoreysid paper ku saabsan "microeconomics" waad isticmaalaysaa tusaale ribo........haddii aad qoreeysid mid cilmi nafsiga ahna Freud iyo gaalada kale.

Changed   

Originally posted by Baashi:

I agree with OGUN, I would not recommend him to run let alone vote for him. He ought to do what he does best - writing. He is a qualified citizen to run for the presidency though.

i think u are contradicing ur self right there bro.. u think he is qualified yet u dont think he will make the best president , i dont know jack schnit about the guy but all you'll do is praise him, so if he is that good of person and has prestigious awards under his belt i dont see the reason for him not to be a good president na'mean ,

personaliy he would have to want to run, our discusion of wether he makes a good candidate or not wont a virtue in his decition,

i think he is 100% better than the ignorants that are rulling or want to rule our country, the man is educated , and he is doesnt not descrimate, my best example would be his wife,

someone said that he was not a good candidate just because he is married to a nigerian, what is wrong with nigerian, a man can marry a non muslim, (religiously) and that should take the doubt of her religion(islam,christian etc) out of the door.

Baashi   

Mizz_unique,

I don't see the contradiction.

Abaayo, As a Somali citizen, he is eligible to hold the office. Yes, he has won awards in Western literature. As a person, he is a good man and he is much better than the current warlords. However, that does not make him the best candidate for Somalia. For one thing, he is not in-sync with Somalis and their clan politicking. By the way, I think you would agree with me that I am free to vote for (when and if I ever get that privilege) whomever I please.

Enterepreneur,

True sxb, authors often use analogy in their plot to dramatize. All I’m saying is that I was not expecting to hear it from him at this particular reception.

Changed   

^^ lol...u cant vote for whoever u want icon_razz.gif (jokes eeh )

i get ur point when u say that bro, correct me if am not getting ur point right..but to me he does not need to be "in-sync with their clan politicking" i think this clan thingy destroyed somalia as it is :( . we actually need someone who carries no respect and knows schitt about clanism and their polical ways(i may be a little to naive when i say that ) but seriously there cant be any sort of analogy between the somali tribes simple as that ,which is why i could care less of his knowledge of tribal ways; all i think he should know is each tribes methodology, their normative and he is a scholar she should know that if he observed his people(somalis) and like u said he spoke perfect somali ,and he was gone close to 30 yrs that says alot about the man ;)

Nuradin is agreat writer but leading Somalis is adifferent can of worms. He is naturally gifted in understanding human nature and enjoys it immensely and one can see it in his writings. He travels around the world just like most Nomards do but in his case he has a project at hand. He spends two to three years in a country and finishes off with a book. Amazing Icon but not a leader. He would be better served as a diplomat.

Somalis need a smart "DICTATOR" right now and nothing else for dialogue isnt something they understand.

Coloow   

Some late breaking news; Nuradin farah although shortlisted for a fourth year running did not get the nobel prize in literature. It went to another african, south african born writer "Coetze".

ZOLA   

excuse me ...shaqsi ..did u just say a dictator.... or something else ...what happened to somalia the last time we had a dictator in power.....

A.A

Macalin   

Entre..i was lookin forward for the brother to win!

MY Tahlil on the issue of him being a prez..all said and done, no one can be called a qualified politician the only thing u need to have in ur cv is a mere lying and greed record!...now having said that leading a fragile country like somalia requires lots of patience,guts and a MEAN heart!

Is he patient?..i don know'

Does he have teh Guts?..again know one knows

Is he Mean>?.God knows!...my point NO ONE KNOWS THIS DUDE!..plus do we wanna have a nigerian for a first LADY?..i dispise nigerians!

Lakkad..... Nigerian as the first lady....lol.....I don't despise them, but i do wanna the first lady of somalia to be of somali origin.

Nurudin could be an inspiration to the youth in a peaceful somalia and perhaps could serve as somali ambassador. I wouldn't however ask him to lead the country.

salam caleykom

i read a few of his books the man is a sexist pigg, he talks about women as if they are objects no wonder he is married to a niggerian cuz they are the only women(i know of) in this world that bow down for a man(litterally)

i personaly would not vote for him , but and my reason has been stated above,

to all those that say he is a good writer but not a good leader please state ur reasons? u guys have to inform the other to y? mizz unique u would not like him if u read his books walaalo redface.gif

Coloow   

Somalia does not need people; but I think it is the people that need it. I think most of us are not aware of the magnitude of the problem facing somalis back home in somalia!

To them any kind of a rule is a solution; dictatorship, petitioning, theocracy; munaafuq rule; etc.

I peronally think that Nuradiin has the potential to make a good president: he was a victim of the afweyne era, did not participate in the civil war; has the intellectual grasp; famous outside somalia; condemns the concept of tribalism etc.

Blessed   

I really like his style of writing, haven't come across anyone who writes like him. He always incorprates Somalias political situation and gives some sociological accounts of Somalis in his novels.

I also think that he has a great political stance, he sorts of looks at the situation in Somalia from a detached position so for that I'd think he'd be of benefit. I read his latets books 'Yesterday, Tomorrow' which is based on interviews of Somalis in the Disapora regarding the war.

At the end of it he somewhat disassociates himselve from Somalia and its problems. It is as if he expects his country to sort itself out. For that reason I don't see him as president of Somalia.

My aunty always says that good men don't go into politics...