Sign in to follow this  
Ashwaq

There goes the neighborhood!

Ashwaq   

Couple of weeks ago I discovered Somaliaonline.com. It was love at first sight or should I say Site lol. People were exchanging conversation, most of them were

polite, Some funny, some extremely creative. Also, I saw a post from one of the new Somali Novelist, Safi. I loved her first novel; I was glad to see her come here. Wow, Again I say Profesor S. Samater's post, I love his books. I read all of his books that I could get my hands on. Yet again,I say another writer from M.M. Afrah. I said to myself, will someone pinch me, am I dreaming or this is reality. Could this be true. Could we find Somalis like this after all The garabage I've witnessed all over the net.

Alas, Someoen wake me out of my little reverie! A qabilist, insulting the esteem Professor( A man who could be our father. A man who come down to honour us minios with his augost presence.) Women insulting qabilists, women qabilist insulting men.

I said to myself there goes the neighborhood, yuck!.

As I watch and watch this ping-pong insults and exchanges I was wondering what will the Admin- who after all put a lot of money and sweat into this wonderful page- do. Will he/she erase the garabage and maintaine a forum free from qabilist crap, or will he leave it as it is.

Alas,he left it as it is. How disappointing! There should be something call Zero tolerence when it comes to qabiil.

Sick people should be protected and segregated from the normal Somalis. When we do that,only do that could we discuss things in open and honest manner. Only then will those who are under the infulence of the sick ones heal. There are the sick ones

and simpelton that follow them around.

An other thought came to mind as I was writing this: I wonder if these people are not somewhat bit jealous of the professor's stature? and the qabiil is a way to hide their jundice suffering selves?

Let us examine Somalis. why is it rare to see someone who actually get up and say you know what so and so is talented. The minute we see talented people, we don't look that but we find a way to discredit them, to belittle them,to take the crown out of their heads. alas, the crown only can fit its owner and not the imposters, like Cinderale's shoe. When we force the crown into our heads and find out it does not fit then we smash the wear head and the crown.

Oh well that is that.,The honeymood period must be over, open the gates let the herds in.

Decorum is something you need to exercise once in a while. refriand from insults, then you might grow a little bit. I only gring when I realize once again we have been deprived of a learned persons voice.

Sincelery,

Disappointed and disillussioned

Ashwaq

Hibo   

It's hard to know where to begin, so much ground is covered in your posting.

My fondly admiration didnt last long either.

When I first found this site, was trully captivated and intrigued by the contributions of the nomads. **Somali Intellectuals atlast** is what I said to myself. But my lucid dream slightly faded. I believe the Admins don't have control over how people behave and think, but they do have a control over the amount of vile language/Qabiil bashing nomads present.

There's no question that this forum could use a little law&order before all hell break loose. Its simply running out of fuel.

We'r all diverse, expecting everyone to agree on every issue/or see things eye to eye is like pushing an elephant up on stairs. Lets just get our points acrossed without getting personal.

"Sticks and stones may break your bones,

But words can break your heart"

God Bless.

Deeq A.   

Ashwaq, thanks for your insight. We appreciate every comment you write and we are always grateful!!

Sista, It is true that Somali author Safi comes here and she is still here. She is a wonderful writer and a wonderful nomad mother. We thank her for being part of this site. We also thank AYAANICK for referring her.

On the other hand we have many other young Somali professionals who come here everyday and seek refugee in this site. Nearly every BIG NAME that you see on Somalia Online is either a working professional, a student at a major university or a young talent that is heading somewhere promising, hek we even have young professors like Ismahan.

We promise that we will not let Somalia Online become a gathering place for the dummies leaving only stupidity behind. Eveybody here is a decent, smart, hardworking nomad. People don't agree on issues and sometimes go over the board with their extreme comments. Like you said, these nomads create their own world here with their jokes, debates, articles, insights and poetry. At the end of the day, it is all good ... they are still a big family, still complimenting each other. Somebody once said " I didn't know Somalis could be this civilized" on their post.

Ashwaq, we don't expect you to judge this site or the nomads here because of the negetivity of one thread or one person. Even thoug we can't tell people to shut up, we can always tell them not to violate the rules of this site. Everybody gets a private messege stating all the rules to be followed.

Please don't be "Disappointed and disillussioned" also. The ADMINS here will have a meeting soon and we will discuss if we should label "QABIIL TALK" as being a prohibited topic and a violation of Somalia Online rules. This is becuase no matter how it is worded, "qabiil talk" turns into negetivity after couple of responses or posts may I say. This is one sensitive issue which boils everybody's blood.

NOTE: We have also noticed that people have been abusing the CAMEL MILK DEBATE forum lately with general posts. We ask everybody to read the title of the FORUM and treat it what it is supposed to be ... "INTELLECTUALS' DEBATE FORUM". If you don't know the CAMEL MILK DEBATE forum, it is the first forum of the nine forums. If you have a general comment, please post it on the GENERAL forum and not here.

Thank You

Somalia Online Team

Hibo   

Ashwaq, can u tell me more about the author Safi. I have not heard of her. What is the name of the novel she wrote?

Deeq A.   

Curious, check out the LITERATURE section of the Somali links. Her webpage is listed there. Her posts are also on this CAMEL MILK DEBATE forum.

The site has two or three filthy heads. They need to be eliminated for good. I think the admins are trying they best, but it is time ya all get serious and ban these individuals who are trying to turn this site into some kind of a war zone. Get rid of them. Bye bye.

Hibo   

There is a need for moderation..thats what most other Webmasters do ....Most of the posts are checked out to see if they conform with the Topic or with the rules and would either be deleted or published. I would think the Admins should they want this site to prosper, to keep a leash on the dummies of our community. Im sure there are a lot out there who wouldnt want to see any stable site that people feel comfortable with.

------------------

("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._

`6_ 6 ) `-. ( ).`-.__.`)

(_Y_.)' ._ ) `._ `. ``-..-'

_..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' ,'

(il),-`` (li),` ((!.-` S-h-a-q-ss-ii

[This message has been edited by Shaqsii (edited 04-05-2002).]

Admin et al good luck coming to some decision as to the 'Qabiil' issue. Whatever it may be, perhaps your subsequent clarification on what if anything on qabiil is acceptable will help atleast the cooperative amongst us. Personally, I dislike it intensly and find any 'discussion' on it descends into chaos. Maybe you could invite us, the contributors to vote on it. It might give you a feel for the general opinion.

------------------

Make a today-dream a tomorrow-reality

Hibo   

A suggestion perhaps....

As most of us cant deal with the idea of talking about Qabiil in acivilised manner, perhaps the Admin should find a place or create astring (QABIIL) for people who interested in that. That way anyone interested could go over there and do what they are good in (wrongful gossip)

------------------

("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._

`6_ 6 ) `-. ( ).`-.__.`)

(_Y_.)' ._ ) `._ `. ``-..-'

_..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' ,'

(il),-`` (li),` ((!.-` S-h-a-q-ss-ii

Hibo   

Hey let's not put the blame on admins, I think they doing good job for giving everyones a fair chance to talk about their mind! the users should behave theirselfs, because I believe this is a real time website and it is hard to catch on everything rightaway.... we all need to get our points acrossed without using a fault language, believe me it will not make you bigger person, infact it is the oppossite...

I am surprised why some ppl will say they did not expect somali ppl to be this civilized! why have a low expectations....Sky is the limit for us yaw......

Ashwaq   

Soul_Lady: Sister you are right about all of us having different opinions, I always love to see someone who have different opinion then I do. It shows me how the other half thinks. If the whole world have been on the same page, granted the world would have been peaceful, but we would have all died of boredom! smile.gif

Curious and Walashiis:

You can find Safi Abdi's book at:

http://saba-islamic-media.com/safiabdi.htm

or her home page. I am sure you can get the info on that website. They should help you on how to get her book.You won't be disappointed I gaurentee it! smile.gif As the Admin said maybe you can contact the author herself she is a contributor of forum.

Admin: First, I appologies if I cross-posted, I am sorry you must be patient with me. This is your home, you can do as you wish. I have been here a while now, I have yet to start a new topic, I only respond to what other started, but I chose to start this thread to maybe catch your eye, and show you that what you have here is too valuable, too great and you must not loose the chance to raise above the crown. There are so many Somalisomething dot coms but this is different.

About the Qabiil Bashing, maybe I am alone on this one, let the forumers vote and decide if they want a room for Qabiil Bashing, I for one will not vote for it, and I will not visit it. There is one room I ve never even bother to look at it here- for a reason I will not state. if you open it is not skin off my back.

I did not know our Asmahan is a profesor, we are all here to learn from one another, and this will only increase my admiration for this site. I think most of the people are afraid to come out here and post things lest the little monsters start to spit on their faces lol. Poor Profesor Said Samater, my heart goes out to him. I hope to see some more of his post.

Keep up the good work admin.

Salaan...

In defense of the Admins. of this site, I am totally satisfied that this site by far is the best--and so far, so good. I consider myself a one who almost all visited every imaginable Soomaali site out there, and in comparison, this site has--should I say this--seems to have more far percentage of elites than the real dimwits. I am telling you. And on behalf--though Soomaalis ay 'af nool looma hadlo, but I have to say this anyway--of who participate in here, I think we should all thank the Admins. by doing a superb job. Thank you, Admins.

Macsalaama!!

Hibo   

I must agree with brother MMA, I have to thank the Admins of Somalia Online. They have maintained a reasonable balance between all forumers. I truly think that if we are to have a meaningful a discussion/debate then we must allow everyone to freely express his or her idea. What is the main aim of debates/discussions if we don’t take aboard each and every one of us? Many ugly things are usually said in debates but so far we are doing good compared to many forum boards operated by Somalis. Truly some forum boards look more like a rhyme battle zone than a place where ideas and opinions are exchanged. I guess with this site in the horizon there is a fat chance that sooner many of us whose remarks tend to appear more abusive than an express will learn how to present their comments. Insha-allaah we will see well thought of posts from those specific forumers.

Mac sallaam