Sign in to follow this  
Hibo

QAAT

Ashwaq   

Hi Safi,

You are right, the Olamo says chat is xaraam. but why don't you elaborate on why it is xaraam and why don't you cite few Qur'anica verses to help your case a little better.

BTW, love your 1st book, I am a fan already.

Maca Salaama

[This message has been edited by Ashwaq (edited 03-22-2002).]

Ashkira   

Shaqsii, Thanks for a great topic.

Like our brother stated, it wouldn't have looked a terrible thing if the amount/time people chew wasn't excessive. Somali statistics show more then 94% of broken homes are the result of QaaT.

Safi and Ashwaaq: Are the OLOMO (Culumo) you talking about Somalis? Cuz Somali Olomo used to Chew Qaad to keep themselves awake all night as they recite the Qur'an, and wait the Fajr prayers. I agree with Ashwaq, Qaad is somewhat escape of a problem, and ruins family values, but harmless herb unlike Cigars or drugs. There's no proven evidence that Qaat causes cronical diseases(cancer/ brain damage etc.) I don't chew Qaat, and can hardly stand anybody who would chew the thing, only trying to distinguish myth from reality. Qaat is not Haram nor causes a long term cronic illness. Though it demorolize your whole being, its atleast better then God Forbidden stimulants ie; Alcohol/Drugs.

Ashwaaq, Somalis used to chew before the diaspora don't think they started after the fact. It's an addiction thats been going on far too long.

Float like a Butterfly, Sting like Bee

Hibo   

Personally I’m not a miraa chewer though a lot of my folks are keen members of the chewing club. It actually motivates some, makes them better people when they chew and of course brings out the best out of them. Khat produces excitation and increased motor activity. It is a stimulant producing a feeling of exaltation, a feeling of being liberated from space and time. It may produce extreme loquacity, inane laughing, and eventually semi coma. It may also be a euphorient and used chronically can lead to a form of delirium tremens. We can’t all say that the effects of the leaf is bad in all individuals but could say that it mainly depends on the chewer and the type of character they have. Sometimes khat produces depression, sleepiness, and then deep sleep. The chronic user tended to be euphoric continually. In rare cases the subjects became aggressive and over excited. One night a friend of the family came home and was chewing he wanted to hang his coat on a nail on the wall. He noticed there was a dark patch on the wall and tried hanging his coat but then the so called “nail” moved on to another spot and it went on for a few seconds while he followed it around LOL the nail was a fly. Now that to us who were not chewing was hilarious to say the least. It made our evening such a blast we where laughing till we went to bed.

In my case I used to really enjoy the company of decent khat chewers like my uncle. I tell you the guy could build castles in the air whenever he chewed. Everyone at home would just watch him talk and turn “white to black”. It made him a real genius and I loved him for that. I wouldn’t take away khat from him because it made him a better person and brought the best out of him.

We shouldn’t conclude that khat is what causes our problems rather the people who chew it. Folks need to sort out the psychological problems they have and the reasons they want to escape reality. Who says life’s easy anyway.

------------------

("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._

`6_ 6 ) `-. ( ).`-.__.`)

(_Y_.)' ._ ) `._ `. ``-..-'

_..`--'_..-_/ /--'_.' ,'

(il),-`` (li),` ((!.-` S-h-a-q-ss-ii

[This message has been edited by Shaqsii (edited 03-23-2002).]

Taqwa   

Salamu Alaikum

I once heard an Islamic Scholar by the name of Abdulrahamn Al sebai in the United States say that anything which changes the state of the human instinct is haram. If something that you consume has an affect on your Islamic practice's such as prayer, and fasting, then there should be a ban. I believe anyone who chew's such an intoxicant

should re-consider the boundary's of his judgement. I thinks it's a matter of choice and I for one is against it.

I'll end with the Islamic greetings and the best of greetings. Salamu Alaikum to all.

safi   

Hi guys! Thanks for reading my 1st book, and thanks for all the encouraging words I received from my brothers and sisters.

Now, about Qat, I've once heard a Muslim scholar put Qat in the same category as other drugs, namely heroin, cocaine, hashish, etc.

--------------------------------------------

We know from Quran that anything that intoxicates the mind is haram, forbidden by Allah (Quran: 5:90-91)

Accordingly, Yusuf Al Qadrawi says in his book (The Lawful and the Prohibited in Islam) the following:

"The first declaration made by the Prophet (SAW) concering this matter was that not only is wine probibited but that the definition of khamr extends to any substance which intoxicates, in whatever form or under whatever name it may appear."

According to our prophet (SAW): every intoxicant is khamr and every khamr is haram

(reported by Muslim)

He (SAW)has also said: Of that which intoxicates in large amount, a small amount is haram. (Ahmed, Abu dauod, Al Tirmidhi)

Again: If a bucketful intoxicates, a sip of it is haram.(Ahmed, Dauod, Tirmidhi)

Omar (RA) said: Khamr is that which befogs the mind.

-----------------------------------------

Now, the good questin is: does Qat fall under the category of Khamr? If so, then it's haram, if not, then what is it?

Safi

www.mightycollision.com

safi   

Hi guys! Thanks for reading my 1st book, and thanks for all the encouraging words I received from my brothers and sisters.

Now, about Qat, I've once heard a Muslim scholar put Qat in the same category as other drugs, namely heroin, cocaine, hashish, etc.

--------------------------------------------

We know from Quran that anything that intoxicates the mind is haram, forbidden by Allah (Quran: 5:90-91)

Accordingly, Yusuf Al Qadrawi says in his book (The Lawful and the Prohibited in Islam) the following:

"The first declaration made by the Prophet (SAW) concering this matter was that not only is wine probibited but that the definition of khamr extends to any substance which intoxicates, in whatever form or under whatever name it may appear."

According to our prophet (SAW): every intoxicant is khamr and every khamr is haram

(reported by Muslim)

He (SAW)has also said: Of that which intoxicates in large amount, a small amount is haram. (Ahmed, Abu dauod, Al Tirmidhi)

Again: If a bucketful intoxicates, a sip of it is haram.(Ahmed, Dauod, Tirmidhi)

Omar (RA) said: Khamr is that which befogs the mind.

-----------------------------------------

Now, the good questin is: does Qat fall under the category of Khamr? If so, then it's haram, if not, then what is it?

Safi

www.mightycollision.com

Hibo   

Ashwaq: I only know few ppl that eat chat, n their reasonings are....

1) There is nothing to do, to them school/work is not an option.

2) they r in depression, many factors r contributing to that so they ease the tension by chewing.

3)leisure purposes...

That is all I know as far as they r concerned n I think many of the somali population have similar reasonings....

why don't u enlighten us with ur folk's reasons for chewing sis, we can learn a thing or two from each other.