Sign in to follow this  
Pig

fat Epidemic in the Somali community

Pig   

An obesity epidemic fuelled by the North American fast food culture is sweeping the Somali community everywhere and producing a general decline in Somalis' health, scientist have warned. One Ethiopian professor says thousands of Somalis in Canada, USA, Europe and Australia are becoming overweight.

The trend towards obesity had been so rapid and pronounced that it could not be explained by genetic factors, they added.

Speaking at a medical conference in Nairobi, Kenya, Dr Mudhasef Zenwindf from Addis Ababa University said the widespread availability of fast food was largely to blame.

Dr Mudhasef Zenwindf, who has studied obesity in the Somali community, said: 'McDonaldisation means that dietary change can proceed faster than has ever been seen before.

'Fast food culture is extensive. It's in everywhere Somalis live, and it is certainly a significant factor.

'We're talking about very palatable foods, high in fat and high in sugar.

Evolutionary

'From an evolutionary point of view, this is exactly what we're adapted to like.'

The worldwide incidence of obesity, as defined by the World Health Organisation, had soared from 12% to 18% in the last seven years.

Statistically, one in five of world's population is obese, meaning overweight to the extent that health is compromised.

In the Somali community, more than 70% of people are overweight.

Hibo   

ain't it funny, an Ethopian "doctor" did research on somalis health living abroad. I certainly think Ethopians living in Ethopia are in need of his services & will approciate his services better. I have one good research he can start with, the health effects of raw meat that most Ethopians reserve for special occasions and the extremely hot suace they use for anjala. Those two things alone will keep him busy in centuries to come. So save your expertise for more usefull things, things that will better serve your "own" community better. That is if your intentions were to serve anyone.

peace.....

Buubto   

Is Somali person the current overweight human being in earth? R we in top 20 fat’s human being on earth? No right well safe ur 2 cents 4 something else. Babe Somalis r overweight yet healthy. So tell ur Ethiopian doctor to help his own ppl, rather than wasting his time on us. We don’t need nonsense fake article. Maybe Ethiopians r jealous of us eek.gifrolleyes.gif oh yeah fat & beauty that’s us Somalis biggrin.gif. That’s god’s gift sorry skeleton non-gorgeous (Ethiopian) tongue.gif .

p.s tell him to take research classes personally I think he doesn’t have clue how to do a research rolleyes.gif

Hibo   

lol@ this post!

I think that research is inconclusive. I mean the doctor talks about obesity and blames it soley on fast food and rejets the argument of genetics. It is also based on sweeping generalisations ... no facts, no cases .... no statistical evidence what so ever ... just statements!

I think your bieng silly. if thats the case .. lol ..... now stop it!

Hibo   

Let me get this straight....An Ethiopian doctor went to research Somali Communities in the USA, Canada, Europe AND Australia? Just to find out about their eating habits?.....I wonder where he got the funding 4 such a gigantic project! The Kenyan government maybe?.....

Fast food/McDonaldisation is responsible 4 making Somalis overweight?....really?....and here I thought our own hilib/baasto/bariis and muqmad were responsible...duh!

And another thing....obesity isn't very common in Somalis.....yes many are overweight....but a high rate of obesity?...I don't think so. When I hear obese, I think of those ppl featured in American Chat shows...u kno, the ones who can't even turn on their sides in bed without five people helping!....I have seen none of these in the Somali community.

"In the Somali community, more than 70% of people are overweight"......Over-generalising AGAIN....where is the evidence?

And lastly but not least....there is nothing wrong wit being overweight or eating well. There are plenty of people in the world who r dying of hunger, famine and malnutrition. So if Allah has blessed those in the West wit food...then WE R GOING TO BLOODY EAT IT! AND ENJOY IT TOO!! Alxamdulillah.

A   

Lol @ Raw meat eater......How about they do research on your gums! You guys have the ugliest gums on the earht, like when you guys open your mouth there is always this white stuff on your gum, it makes sick just thinking about it. I bet you the most somali people are fit and healthy so stop hating b$$$$...

Hibo   

Ethiopian, sorry son, you have tried to be funny but you can't be. FATNESS symbolises wealth yeah if we are fat we got wealth and i hate to watch 1984 famine in Ethio-land. I'd rather advice you to piss in the toilets at nights instead of keeping it under your bed , UF! AAAAGHU tuf! that sucks ethio biggrin.gif

fartun   

that ain't funny we all skinny dude if yo ethopia and over weight go and loose some pounds,

have wonder ful day

?

------------------

cool

Hibo   

Waaryada ... Nayaada

There is o need for us to diss the Ethiopians. I don't know wether this person is being genuine or he/she is simply posting this to take the mick.

In either case, we are the majority here, this Ethiopian (as silly and abnoxias as he may seem) is not a represntative of the entire Ethiopian population. Therefore, we shouldn't disrespect His entire people because he has disrespecte us!

waxaan u maleynaa in uu cay uun inaga rabo ... so ha U bixina!

One Love

Hibo   

Ethiopian,

Is this your idea of a joke? You kidding me right? Anyways I don't know where you are getting your sources from, but boy you got it worked out all wrong. And why are you telling us this? Don’t you think if there were problems within our "Somali Community" we would've known all about it since we are technically apart of it?

LoL@ how your statistics says fast food is the main significant factor of obesity in Somali community, and how I haven't seen a somalian person at a fast food place for a long time....weird huh!!!

Is this a fabricated article..? If so..Why are we insulting a whole nation, which consists of muslims/others?...

Next time can we check please the source and the originality of the article...Before we 'yell' and 'insult' others...

It is wiser to ask/enquire/research before we jump to conclusions...

[This message has been edited by ShabeelNaagood (edited 02-27-2002).]

Salaama All,

Aint it funny?

Aren't it funny how you talk about the majority of Somalis being Overweight and Obese yet.....More than 2.6 Ethiopians are Living with HIV-1.1 Million with AIDS??* In Urban areas, more than one in 6 adults(18percent of the Population ) are infected with HIV* The Ministry of Health in Ethiopia predicts that the Number of People living with HIV/AIDS will increase to 3.2 Million by 2006 and to 4.7 by 2014?

Yet here you are worried about some Fatty Xawo's and Faarax's?.......lol Oh My, U know what Ethiopia? If I were U? I would check Myself ASAP It's a High probability that you may also have the Deadly Disease.....Aah and here you're worried again for who? Somalis? Now that is funny Mr.HivCarrier....lol

Ma'salaama

Hibo   

OK..Somalis & Obesity?.. I thought we would always be accounted on the terms of anarexia(excuse my spelling... me no close to that term...so don't know how to spell it)...Well there is my ethiopian friend...she always says.. Hibo u somalis r safe...coz ur weight usually descends on ur lower body than ur upper.. in other words...we don't gain too much weight in our chests or around our vital..organs...but our butts n thighs mostly pay the price...so if i look at it..she is right!...But then she is petite at the trunk....n large on the upper part...oh my God.. my friend is in danger.. I gotta do my rescue mission...n be a hero!

------------------

Each one of us is a masterpiece in progress

Hello nomads,

I agree with Ameenah. Furthermore, Why would a credible Ethiopian doctor waist his energy, time and resources on other country’s problems while his own country in shambles? Besides, a self-respecting Ethiopian doctor would not come up with silly article like this. I don’t think this so called “Ethiopian” is genuine Ethiopian. He is an impostor. He has an issue-------a self esteems issue. He gets his satisfaction from putting down other people and feed on it. So don’t bring yourselves to that level. He made this posting to create some steer. Besides what wrong being over weight any way. I can count fat Somali but never seen an obese Somali or soomaaliyad.

So I say to “get a life”!!