Sign in to follow this  
Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar

Soomaali or Soomaaliyaan?

Salaan...

I can see that many among ourselves, Soomaalis, use the term Soomaaliyan {Somalian} to describe our identity. This bothers me. It is not only incorrect historically, but it is useless and unnecessary while we have a name of our own that we named ourselves. And it is not only a foreign, but a misguided one.

So, Soomaali is an appropriate one with a historical connection. To those who advocate the word 'somalian,' then think again. You don't call a French a 'francian' or an English man a 'Englandian.'

Macsalaama!!

Buubto   

Yeah me 2 I got sick of it, i have seen so many ppl using it. cajaaib dad aan garaneyn magacooda somaalaay ceeb kugu habsatay, jahiliin waaxid ayaa nahay lol. thanx 4 informing us teacher maskiin. wat is our next cashar macalin?

Hibo   

I think it sounds better if we can use somalis/somali instead of somalian which makes sense, but at the same time it does not bother or make me sick if someone uses somalian, that is them. we need to keep this in perspective and not exaggerate.

peace...

Baydan   

MMA

I too get annoyed at peepz when they say

somalians...Walahi I loose interest in the particular male i'm having conversation with if he says somalians...bigtime turn off!

Keep spreading the word...SOMALIS.

Hibo   

Kabax, My friend MMA is here again with a pursuesive terminologies that is to identify us fully our lineages as for Somali Cali. LOL

Saxiib, waaku salamay marka hore, I have been fighting thesedays with those infidels in theconnection forum. They kept me going since then..... you know... I was almost like a representative for the entire African continent. Check the international section, and find out [what do you know about africa].

Anyway, bro, keep to enlight our people with the correct form of word settings in english, ahahah, remember the name belongs to us; even you the right to say "Ilamos"

instead which is a backward version of it.

Hibo   

It is wise to use the term "Somali" to mean people from Somalia or are ethnically born to Somali culture. But in the era of the information superhighway...the name also refer "somali cats" smile.gif .

Baydan   

Macruuf

I'm around saxiib just not as much. School is a b*#@ this semester cant even find those few minutes in between classes that i used to cruize the net. Alxamdu lilaah wax la sheegtaa badan bay tiraahdaa my grandma ar waa laguu xiisay adi xitaa smile.gif

Hibo   

Its better to use somali because thats what we are. The term somali, english speaking people started using 10 or so yearss ago when they couldn't quite figure out what to calls us, and being from somalia they came up with somalian. I will not call myself a name made up in confusion and ignorance of what to classified as. Therefore I am a SOMALI for life

Hibo   

I thought I was the only one with that cudur I see alot of ppl share that trait...man am I glad?.. MMA thnx for bring it up... I was too self-conscious to initiate it...but hey thnx...

Baydan: I feel the same way too....I am like can u take me home...I amnot feeling this anymore....lol

------------------

Each one of us is a masterpiece in progress

Hibo   

I agree, this is one thing that makes me go Grrrrr - tried to xplain that the Country is Somalia - The Language is Somali -The people are Somalis - but who would listen. There are even some who call Somalis - Somalia. Cajiib!

I also can't stand the ones who say 'Handharen' as suppose to "Hundred"

Sounds like too much of a 'dhoore-dhoore' lol

God Bless.

------------------

Live today to the fullest because tomorrow is not promised".

soul lady@lol hundharen freaked me out i thought i was the only person who noticed that.On the real note people have accents an it's alright, we were not born here.

blue   

I agree! We are Somalis. I am Somali. You are Somali. You are Somalis. I hate using pronouns dayaaaaaaaaaam!

Thats a good question. I have always called myself somali. Because somalian is a fabricated word by ignorant white people(jokes). But where I live im not called either somali or somalian but somaliana

which is like somalian with an a at the end but I dont mind it so much to me its better than somalian.

Hibo   

I DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT U PPLE BANGING ABOUT THE WORD SOMALIAN IS MORE SUITABLE THAN SOMALI. I CANT IMAGINE MYSELF POINTING OUT SOME SOMALI CREW AND CALLING THEM'' LOOK THOSE SOMALIS'' IT JUST THAT THE TONGUE CAN NOT TAKE IT. IT IS NOT SOMALIANS ONLY WHO TAKE ''IAN''. LOOK TANZANIA, PPL ARE TAZANIANS. BUT AT END OF THE DAY WHICHEVER U USE IT DOES NOT MATTER, PUT IT HOW IT SUIT YOU. PEACE