Sign in to follow this  
Valenteenah.

Dodgy Agents Dubious Landlords

Damned Estate Agents and Landlords!

I'm trying to rent a flat I have fallen in love with and those creatures are giving me so much trouble.

Do any of you rent? What sort of documents were you required to produce before u took up the tenancy? And did you have to pay the deposit and first month's rent in cash?

I know an employer's reference and pay-slips are kinda standard, but the landlord here is requesting that I provide all sorts of documents including but not confined to bank statements, utility bills and a landlord's reference, along with a passport or driver's license! WTF?

Furthermore, they are refusing to accept a cheque or bank transfer for the deposit and rent. I'm suppose to sashay over and put down £1500 in cash before I move in! WTF?

Even worse, if any of my references are deemed 'unsatisfactory', my holding deposit won't be refunded! WTF?

This whole system seems to be set up to con people. What's stopping them from finding a reference 'unsatisfactory' and thereby pocketing the money?

Slippery ba$tards. :mad:

The flat is beautiful, and everything seemed in order upto yesterday. But it's a different story (and requests) today. I'm a little concerned; are any of these standard requirements? Am I being taken for a ride?

STOIC   

Help me here Ahura, I am frowning at the thought of paying 1500 pounds as a down payment. Do you know how much that is in dollars? What kind of a neighborhood is that? Unless the apartment looks like those I see on MTV cribs, there is no way I will pay that amount of dollars. Is it a furnished apartment with canopy bed and flowered bedspread? May be it is. What do I know about bloody England?

Stoic: Yeah, I know, it's very steep, but everything is outrageously expensive in London. The down payment is made up of one month's rent in deposit and one month's rent in advance + some agency costs.

It's a good-sized one-bedroom flat (in London terms), and the rent is good value I think (I have seen flats half the size going for twice as much). In American terms, I would guess it's just slightly bigger than a closet. :D

I feel a little heartsick. I really want it.

^Why would u want to leave mummy's cooking and luving?

Is there any way that you can photocopy the references before you give it to them or it has to come officially sealed from the reference person? If your going ahead with it - photocopy everything. And if they step a toe out of line...sue their @sses.

P.S. That really seems like TMI; unless you being Muslim and black scared them somehow. :D

Wait a minute, I don’t think you should pay the deposit until they ck you rental reference first

I don’t know about London but here in the U.S we pay the application fee which is $25

And you don’t pay the deposit until they ck your rental reference.

:confused:

Maf Kees   

What are you guys: broke? 1500 pounds downpayment with no refund is a good deal. There are limits when trying to find a bargain, understand.

On the real though, I think there is something wrong. I can't say anything about the amount of the downpayment, but the conditions to be met are disproportional. You could research and ask the other people in the building how their procedure went. Couldn't hurt.

G'luck getting this appartment Valenteenah.

ElPunto   

Originally posted by Valenteenah:

Even worse, if any of my references are deemed 'unsatisfactory', my holding deposit won't be refunded! WTF?

This whole system seems to be set up to con people. What's stopping them from finding a reference 'unsatisfactory' and thereby pocketing the money?

That is too fishy. The plethora of documents is annoying but if you want the flat - gotta do what you gotta do. But under no circumstances should you allow your deposit to be forfeit. I would call your local tenant's association and double check the total illegality of that ruse - and once you have that confirmation inform your prospective landlord that you know the deal and they'd better cut the sh*t out.

The other thing is - maybe it is a none too subtle hint that they simply don't want you. And personally speaking I would reconsider having aa my landlord ppl like this. Just a thought.

Originally posted by Valenteenah:

Nothing.

There are other grossly over-charged flats out there. These people want too much and most of it is an inconvenience. Find another agency to deal with, ask what their procedures are before you ask them to look on your behalf.

Don't like the sound of the cash transaction- will they give u a receipt? And a bodyguard for your journey from bank to agency? :rolleyes:

Look them up if u're very keen on the flat.

Just had an interview with a fancy recruitment agency, they want references for the last fcking 5 years. Do I look like I remember? It's madness.

Zafir   

WTF is just about right. Why don’t they ask for you pin number while they are at it, lunatics, they are obviously robbing you blind. Common sense tells me, don’t like my references, turn me down, but keeping my hard earned cheddar along with the refusal is highway robbery.

Ahura, Tell them you know people is high places and if they pull any stunts, they will sure be invaded and bombed.

The landlord may be oblivious to the agency's methods. He or she becomes a problem after u move in.

Whoa, somebody wants to know where you live. :D

STOIC   

Facklexm, Is the swift ship plying the ocean and begining on plundering her prey? Help the sister out dude.... :D