Sign in to follow this  
Valenteenah.

Dodgy Agents Dubious Landlords

Sorry, girl they CAN keep the entire holdoing deposit if your references don't pan out- the usual admin cost BS.

The general rule of thumb when it comes to holding deposits is that they are non-refundable if you pull out of the deal. If you change your mind, or your references fail to meet the landlord's criteria, the estate agent can keep all or part of your holding deposit. The justification is that they are required to cover administrative expenses. However, if the tenancy does not go ahead because the landlord or the agent withdraws the property, you should always be entitled to reclaim your holding deposit.

the rent traps

It's called ENGLISH The Point. Facklexm, we're trying to keep away from dodgy. Mon Dieu.

Maf Kees   

Originally posted by facklexm:

i'm only trying to help.

Yeah you are trying to help. Trying to help yourself biaaj!

Originally posted by facklexm:

Tell me where you live and I’ll find a cheap flat

Why won't you just say that you allready 'found' that cheap flat. You want her to move into your place right?

I have been looking for a suitable place for ages now, and I haven't met a non-slimy Estate Agent as yet. Wax baa ku wada khaldan. I must have called them 20 times today and each time I was told something different. Wareer socda.

Basically, it looks like the landlord is being fussy. Exact words were: He's a good landlord and he wants to find the right tenant for his property. LoL...I don't know what 'right' he is looking for, other than the ability to pay the rent and treat his propery well.

The Agents keep telling me not to worry, some landlords are fussier than others, but as long as I provide the required documentation and my credit check comes thru, it should be a quick process.

There's no point in withdrawing at this stage, even if I wanted to, which I don't. The flat must be mine. So, I am going to make sure they do the credit check before I hand over the rest of the money and references.

If it all goes well, I will be able to pick up the keys by Saturday, Insha'Allah. :D

Sheh: Yes, that clause was in the holding deposit receipt I received. Whichever way I look at it, am not going to get the money back, so I need to make sure I get the place at least. Also, Estate Agents-ku isma dhaamaan. They all charge fees and require non-refundable holding deposits (credit checks cost £30 privately, yet they charge you £150? Ba$tards!)

About recruitment agencies - avoid them if you can. You don't get much protection or any of the benefits (like sick pay, public holiday pay, interest free seasonal travelcard loan, paid annual leave...etc) of other employees if you go through an agency.

:D @ Facklexm. Dodgy Hindi are what am dealing with here. But wey dhaamaan some of the more dodgy Turk/Greek landlords. Yikes!

The Point: Yeah, it occurred to me that the Landlord might not want to rent to me (he warned me about having ppl 'living' with me if I were to rent the flat as a single person, and when I asked him about having the occasional guest around - like my sisters - he said 'yeah, that would be fine : guests can stay for a few hours'. LoL) but I don't care. I really want the place. I have already moved in and made myself at home in my mind.

Aniga: A flat is an apartment, as someone said.

Red: No, the references dont need to be sealed. I'm going to give them copies. They can have a look at my pay-slips and bank statements as well, but I won't allow them to keep copies of those (they will probably ask to - Walaahi they are so dodgy. Waan cadanyoodaa markaan la hadlo).

Zafir: "Ahura, Tell them you know people is high places and if they pull any stunts, they will sure be invaded and bombed."

Do you think they will rent to me after that? LoL! Iga tag.

Blue: Thanks for wishing me well.

Calaa kuli xaal, I have been informed that everyone who rents gets burned at least once and I should expect it. Insha'Allah, I hope it doesn't all fall thru. I'm usually put off so easily by smarmy agents, but the difference this time is that the flat is worth getting.

Nephissa   

As a renter you'r only paying for someones mortgage, plus all the shidh that goes with it. My landlady is a money sl*t, always there first thing at the beginning of the month to collect money, but is never around when there is a problem with appliances, plumbing etc.

Save your money, get a decent job that can afford you the purchase of your own house (which is what I plan to do in the next couple years I'A), and get on with it.

Ahura, I hate recruitment consultants. The one I saw today was telling me about her flat and how its been on the market and now she's found a fcking cash buyer for it. A cash buyer I tell you, for a flat in London! Some relative had died and left the buyer some money which she just couldn't wait to spend in cash on a flat. How much more must there be to spare, do ya think? No chance of a relative like that existing much less dying and leaving me any dosh.

Not that I cared, I mean I really, really didn't care about her but I grinned and made all the appropriate sounds- the job sounds good. I thought I'd sworn off agents but I saw this job, within minutes I had picked up the phone and minutes later I was making an appointment to go see her- which is not how it usually happens. Apparently, I am the only interested candidate and the employers are getting desperate..which is great but now I have to harass 5 years' worth of people some of which harassed me along the way. LoL. It ain't right. IF I get an interview I will do the deed, if not, blah to the rigmarole.

Goodness, I feel whinged out. Gracias. redface.gif

^ You are the only candidate and the employers are getting desperate? Green light! Don't bother with all those references...they talk big marka hore, but they send really shitty CVs to employers all the time. They even send clearly unsuitable people to jobs. There was a Finance officer position going in my unit and the first 10 candidates didn't have any budgeting experience! C'mon, it's a financial position, they should be able to draw up a spreadsheet at the very least, but nooo. Really pathetic. :rolleyes:

Give them your current references and tell them if they aren't happy, you are happy to look for another agency/position. Ha!

Bishy: That's the long-term plan, buying. I'A.

The wrong division is handling the role. I don't understand why. I stumbled upon it by chance on their website. The woman had no idea what my CV was saying; the employers are putting pressure on her and it's not her field. Neither side seems to click they're not suitable for one another. Wheras there's me thinking it's suitable for me(sincerely) and she hoping I'm being honest! A farce. I shall be patient as its for an investment bank and that my dear is the crux of the matter. Money. ;) If I get it, I will eat my hijab. Quite happily.

Good luck with the flat.

Castro   

Originally posted by Bishitta:

Save your money, get a decent job that can afford you the purchase of your own house (which is what I plan to do in the next couple years I'A), and get on with it.

You live in Buulo Xuubay, OH, atheer Bishaaro (God I hate your new nick). What job can afford anyone to purchase any home in London? Valenteenah needs to move out of that affordability-forsaken city and head west. Way, way, west. :D