Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

ETON'S CALLING!

Blessed   

^^^Boo hoo! icon_razz.gif

Thats a very miserable view of things Cambaro.

On the contrair, I think Somalis hold education highly, its just difficult for most kids to make it due to the many factors i don't want to go into. A story like this will inspire and encourage to at least try their best.

As for Abdi- I'm so, soo proud *sniff, sniff*. Bless!

If they hold it so highly why aren't they performing better? Is one kid's going to Eton going to blind us to the reality that most Somali boys aren't doing well at school?

I'm not one to discourage the young but I'm telling it like I see it- this is what I hear from them. If it comes across as miserable it's because I see it as miserable; it's miserable that Somalis waste their intellect; it's miserable that there are so many one-parent families and it's miserable that too many of them are in jail. Ask a kid if he wants to be rich and he'll say yeah bring it on. But he wants it the quick way. Hitting the books takes way too long and doesn't do the image much good either.

This isn't unique to Somalis(it's a black boy epidemic) but it's not one Somali boys can afford to be affected by. And let's not only blame the civil war on disrupting their lives. A hell a lot of them have never seen Somalia and yet they fail.

A kid that is unmotivated and feels alienated from mainstream society and who has no goals will not gain an iota from Abdi's story. Let's get real.

Curly   

Mashallah, walahi I wish him the best! He’s really pushing himself that extra mile, mashallah!

sheherazade, I completely understand! Today I walked into on a discussion on the UK somalinet chat room (yes I still go there when I’m BORED!) anyway this topic came up and the replies weren’t promising. Instead of wishing him well as a NORMAL person would, they chose to say… â€So what?!†and some were so clueless that they actually said other Somalis go to Eton...what's new?

Anyway, your right, it’s just a story to a lot of the youths, they’re too caught up in the whole youth and "hip hop" culture to move or push themselves further. They’d rather be pimps and gangsters and talk using Ebonics. (Sad but true where I live!)

But inshallah the few that see the light through the rain may one day inspire the rest. I know at a local Somali girls’ youth club…one of the girls got into Cambridge and mashallah she grew up with us and the rest of us. But I always knew she would be the one who was brave enough to be different and not follow the trend, no matter how much stick she got for it! (believe me I saw it!)

Other girls were constantly asking why she spoke the way she spoke, one time one girl told her “talk normal…caadi iska diig, you think you’re better than us†which surprised me :( :eek: .

So sheherazade I understand walaal, but I think a few nomad’s were once thinking about starting up a mentoring program to help encourage Somali youths to aim higher. Sadly it didn’t get off the ground but I think that is the sort of thing we should all be doing in our own way.

I always trying to ask youth I meet questions, they should be asking themselves…like “where are you heading?†“What do you plan to do after college?†and I try my best to advice them on what options they have and what they can do if they really try.

So inshallah there is some hope for those to have faith.

^that's what I'm talking about!

This issue is on my mind quite often especially now. I know one kid that is talented and was doing well at school. Now I see him with a lowered confidence in himself and the future. WHAT THE HELL GOES WRONG AND WHEN?

This girl who went to Cambridge can only be an inspiration for those with some ambition. U can't identify if u don't aspire to be..something..anything.

I remember getting a thrill when the sixth form head called me into his office and said he wanted me to apply to Oxford and Cambridge. My Maths teacher wanted me to do a Maths degree; he practically made me promise. In the end I did neither Maths nor attend Oxford/Cambridge. Other people's plans never make u happy.

Blessed   

I find it baffelling that you say Somalis don't view academic success highly. Perhaps its your confusing lack of confidence in ones ability with not wanting to achieve the best. I've worked with kids in schools and they do want to do well, they do want to go to university and get a good job, the house in hargaisa and the latest Beema. Somehow, they get to year ten and they are told that the best they can do is an F in maths and 'never mind' you can re-take your GCSEs at college. That along with youth culture, lack of support and educated folk like you telling them that it isn't the 'Somali' way which causes the confusion and dispondence amongst the youth.

I know many Somali graduates and a few that actually went to these 'out of bounds' universities. Some who even attended your local state maintained school. All it takes is support and confidence building from those around them... which brings me to the mentoring scheme mentioned, its amazing at how apathetic and uninterested older Somalis can be when it comes to supporting their youth. Yet we seem so concerned if all we have to do is criticise the youth :rolleyes:

I too hope we did more then just talk..!

But, to say 'academic achievement isn't the Somali way'...Puhlease! Thats the very reason half of us are in this cold miserable Qurbo world!

Also, we need to accept and understand that some kid don't want to go to university- it isn't for everyone.

So it's my fault and others like me that these kids don't perform?? These kids need to take responsibilty for themselves. That's what lacking in the youth- a sense of responsibilty.

I heard discouraging things too. I switched schools at one point and the management damn near de-railed me from my path. One Maths teacher would refuse to even LOOK at me when I had my hand up with the answer to the questions he asked. Did I let that get me down? No. I was going to succeed despite him. Did I let it get me down when he predicted me an E grade when he had known me 3 weeks and I was an A grade student? No. No way. No racist a*seh*le was getting in the way of my confidence. When he ignored me in class and nobody else had the answer but he continued to look at everybody but me I spoke the answers loudly and clearly into the silence and he still didn't acknowledge me at first. No amount of whimpering or simpering would have gotten me anywhere positive with him. I didn't like him but I didn't have to. I wore him down with my answers. A couple of months later when I scored 97% on an A level Maths mock exam he was waving my paper around like it he had something to do with it. And in a way he did, he pushed to do even better. Neither papa nor mama nor the community is going to get you through it. U have to fight for yourself and fight smart!!

I wish to God these kids didn't let their environment and society's expectation of them affect them but it does. I've merely stated my observation. If it makes for painful reading then so be it.

I don't expect everybody to want to go to university but damn it get through school! If u want that house in Hargeisa, u better know how to work through those figures they quote you, u better know a little about design or be willing to learn, u better know how to read, comprehend, communicate effectively and analyse.

But, to say 'academic achievement isn't the Somali way'...Puhlease! Thats the very reason half of us are in this cold miserable Qurbo world!

If it were the Somali way the older people would be more encouraging! And we're not here for the education but we're smart if we take advantage of it. We're here because we made a bl**dy mess of that place called home.

Sophist   

Ameenah,

Cheerio my lady; you have articulated my own thoughts. Education is something that most somalis like but lack of inspiration and support derails them from gaining seats at top schools.

And yes, many state school educated had went to Oxbridge-- I am a product of state school so as my two fellow somali cambridge students. It is all about guidance; education is not the easy option at this MTV age.

We should encourage out youth and inspire them to be greater than those that appear our screens.

Blessed   

^ smile.gif

Thanks dear, you too have saved me some response time.

Sheher,

There’s no hurt or offence caused by your words dear. I am however, very interested on your educational philosophy as regards Somali achievement - rather then your own school experiences. I can spend years on this discussion but OHMYGOD Man U just scored a second goal against NC.. :D:D:D

*Sees a bunch of Somali youth in the MU kit*. Another time, perhaps....excuse me..

NGONGE   

Here is more:

Could not do better

By Jessica Rose

A 16-year-old boy from an inner-city school in Leicester has won a scholarship to the famous Eton College.

As one of the world’s most famous schools, Eton College has educated prime ministers, writers and scientists.

The college’s classrooms have also been graced by royalty, including Princes William and Harry.

But now a teenager from an inner city school in Leicester has won a scholarship to study with pupils from rich and prestigious families.

Sixteen-year-old Abdi Rahman Sudi, from Oak Street in Highfields, has been awarded the Joe Burrell Bursary.

The Moat Community College pupil will be able to use the award to pay his fees at Eton, which are around £22,000 a year.

Abdi is currently studying for 10 GCSEs and will start his A Levels at Eton in September 2005.

He will do physics, maths, economics and government and politics.

Family background

Abdi was born in Somalia but has lived in Sweden for much of his life.

His mother, Osob Kullane, who is a teaching assistant, moved the family to the UK in 1999, although his father, Abdullah, still lives partly in Somalia.

Abdi has two brothers, Idris, aged 21, and 23-year-old Hassan, who are both studying at De Montfort University.

His 28-year-old sister Idil works in IT.

Posh Eton

Eton College, which is on the River Thames near Windsor, has educated 19 British Prime Ministers, as well as a many famous writers and scientists.

But about 20 per cent of its 1,290 pupils are given scholarships, which means youngsters from less well off backgrounds can also go there.

What does Abdi think?

Abdi said he did not think he would find it hard to adapt to life there.

He said: “I met some of the pupils when I went to an open day at Eton and they were really polite and friendly.

“I’m going there very much for the academic side of things – but I hope I can benefit socially as well.â€

Abdi said he would like to go to Cambridge University and work in the field of economics or engineering.

Enthusiastic Abdi

Eton College headmaster Tony Little said the most impressive thing about Abdi was his drive and enthusiasm.

He said: “He struck us as having an extraordinary determination for a boy of his age.

“Abdi did this all by himself – he looked up all the information on our website and sent off for the application form without much encouragement from other people.â€

Most Eton pupils belong to the Church of England.

But Mr Little said there were about 20 Muslims at the college and they had a special tutor to help with their religious needs.

last updated: 20/04/05

Post your comments on the article if you want to :D