Sign in to follow this  
Tuujiye

Somalis Today!

Soomaali ayaan ahay, waana ahaanaa intaa ka tagaayo ifkaan. My allegiance rests solely in Soomaaliya. Inta kale waa been iyo kumeel gaar.

Baasaboorkaan Reer Kanada ah i siiyeena waa iska xaanshi oo meel lagu maro, dareen iyo qiiro midna ma iga galin. Waana kumeel gaar asagana. Wey ku mahadsanyihiin dowladda Kanada, laakiin iyagaba wey ogyihiin inaa waligey qaxooti ka ahaanaayo xagooda. Waa kaas meeqo baasaboorkaan heysato oo asalkooda qaxooti ahaa, qaarkoodna inta ku dhashay, haddana ku rafaadsan dunida gees ka gees. Kiiska Abuusufyaan C/risaaq kamid ah. See ula dhaqmeen maskiinkaas Reer Suudaan ah oo Canadian ismooday.

Waa kaasna cunugaas ee dhalinta ahaa ee Cumar Khadar ku dhibaateysan sanadooyin xabsigaas Kuuba ku yaalo ee Guantanamo Bay.

Waa kaas Max'ed Cabdille Warsame oo lagu ku xiran xabsi ku yaalo Minnesota. Sidii loo ciqaabaaye ayuu maskax beelay, wax walbana iska ogaaladay.

Baasaboorkaan yuu idin sirin. Once a qaxooti always a qaxooti.

A very relevant news article from Globe and Mail published yesterday.

ali_44601gm-a.jpg

Somali-born doctor Cadigia Ali has carved out a successful new life here as a community volunteer, public servant and now aspiring politician, but is living proof of the findings of a new report released Wednesday on the low presence of visible minorities in leadership posts in the Toronto area.

Ms. Ali, 59, a live-wire personality who arrived here with her family in 1991, learned a harsh lesson when she plunged into local politics in 2006 and tried to pull off the unlikely feat, for anyone, of knocking off an incumbent city councillor.

At the door, she recalls, some voters told her “
you guys just came here and you want to get to the top
” while others taunted “
you guys are better off on welfare
.” But she was thrilled to win support and votes from others, turning in a second-place finish that only stoked her desire to run again in north Etobicoke in 2010.

Wednesday's report by the Maytree Foundation and the Toronto City Summit Alliance, based on research by Ryerson University, is the first “snapshot” from a three-year study to measure the diversity of top leaders in the region.

“Diversecity Counts,” which relied on publicly available data, found visible minorities account for only 13 per cent of 3,257 leaders identified in Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton, Markham and Richmond Hill – which collectively make up 72.5 per cent of the region's population, of which 49.5 per cent are newcomers. Across the whole region, minorities are 40 per cent of the population.

The education sector was the most diverse, with minorities holding 20 per cent of top posts in schools, colleges and universities.

The corporate sector was the least diverse, with minorities making up only five per cent of the most senior executives and three per cent of board directors.

Toronto businessman Bahadur Madhani, chairman of the YMCA of Greater Toronto and former head of the board for the United Way of Greater Toronto, said he has seen progress for minorities on business boards since he arrived here in 1982.

“But the progress is not keeping pace with the demographic changes that are going on,” he warned.

“There are people like me who have been in senior positions in the not-for-profit sector that cannot get a foot in the door in the corporate sector.”

Among elected officials in Toronto and four suburban municipalities in the study, minorities accounted for 16 per cent school trustees, municipal councillors, provincial and federal politicians.

Among Toronto and Ontario agencies, boards and commissions, minorities accounted for 19 per cent of the total, compared to 8 per cent among municipal and regional government officials and their bureaucratic counterparts in regional police services and the province.

In the volunteer sector, 14 per cent of board members were from diverse communities compared to eight per cent of non-profit agency heads.

Researchers caution against assuming either a single cause or cure for the problem.

“It is complex,” warned one of the lead researchers, Wendy Cukier, associate director of the Diversity Institute at Ryerson University. “The bigger issue is not overt racism or discrimination, the bigger issue is systemic discrimination – the practices and policies and the approaches we use to recruit and promote people that are invisible.”

Informal networks and traditional hiring, she said, “are not intentionally exclusionary, but, in effect, exclude people.”

Tuujiye   

lool MMA adiga dadkii hore aa tahay maba lagaa hadlooyo lol reer aaqiraad yahoo..

KK good points abaayoa diga aaba ii dhaahy waxaan rabay in aan dhaho.

I could only speak for canadian when I say this. If we look at the Canadian History and the way things are now, everyone came to canada whoch means every just like us had a ruff start and everyone made Canada their home. Pakistani, Hindis, Jews, Chines, Lebanese ext all came to Canada way before and today they own this country and all of them are looked at as Canadian. Even the French and Irish are not strong as the Siigs of India and the chines who have been here since the 18's. I worked and still work with many of these people and I learned so much about them. I have understood the somali struggle will always exist unless we accept the fact and the conditions we have at the moment.

We all love somalia and iinsha allah one day I'll be back in somalia for bussines reason but I will not live their. How many Chines and Indian or Pakistanis still live in Canada and their mother countries? why do you think those countries are more successful than us?

more than 60% of somalis had no education before and now alxamdulilah almost every somali who is not in Somalia is educated and understand meaning of life alot better.

boorsooyinkaan wili korka loo heysto ma fiicna maxaa yeelay goormaad hora mar gaaree hidii aad dagdagsan tahay? waayeel lee hanoqonina inta aad somalia isbadal ka sugeysaan

Wareer Badanaa!!!

BOB   

I have been meaning to write something about dadkeena especially those living outside of waddankii and to say we are losing everything we held dear including our deen will be understatement because all you have to do is look at our dhallinyarada both boys and girls in any country in the west be it north America or north Europe and I am sure you’ll get a clearer picture of where we are headed as a nation.

When we were in Somalia we had a sense of family, sense of belonging where you knew everybody around you really cared about you and they constantly let you know how much they cared about you like you needed any more reminder and most crucially those who were older than you guided you and taught you right from wrong and most importantly our parents were visible and hands on in our childhood which is why the majority of us have a happy childhood memory regardless whether we come from a rich or poor background and we can look back today and appreciate what a wonderful role models both our parents were and may allah reward them for the wonderful job they have done.

The youth of today haven’t got all the things that I have mentioned above which played a crucial role from childhood to adolescence, from a stable home where the both parents are present and active in raising their kid(s) in a serene environment with no presence of violence and drugs.

Waalidiinta maanta jooga waa joke oo iyagaaba caruurta bad influence u ah, aabe haba sheegin oo wuxuu mashquul ku yahay qabiil iyo qurun reerkiisana wax uu ka ogyahay ma jirto, waa mar uu jaad cunaayo oo uu markee caruurta iskuulka aadaayaan ayuu sariirta tagaa markee iskuulka ka imaadaana albaabkuu kusii dhaafaa oo qayilad iyo fadhi ku dirir iyo cilmi sheydaan ayuu u socdaa marka kaas oo kale aye u badanyihiin aabe isku sheegyada manta jiro inta soo hartayna marxalada adage e maanta waddanka ka jirta ayaa kala waday iyaga iyo caruurtooda oo waxaa laga yaabaa inuu aabaha soomaaliya isaga xannibanyahay ama xero qaxooti ku jiro.

Hooyo soomaaliyeed naturally waa iska maskiin oo wee iska jilicsantahay marka you can’t expect hadee wiilal leedahay inee every step oo ay qaadaan ee ogaato sababtoo ah danta ayaa u ogolaaneyn oo maskiinta iyadoo aan wax ogeyn unbaa maalin police soo wacayaan oo leeyihiin wiilkaaga wuu xiranyahay or worse, canugii iskuulka ayaa lagasoo erinayaa markaas ayuu been usheegayaa oo uu leeyahay waa la isoo fasaxay school reportkana she can’t read at all or doesn’t know how to read English…taas waa mid tan kalena waa exactly aabaha aan kor kusoo sheegay oo kale oo you can’t tell inee jirto 50 or 15 wax xishood ahna ma laha…caruurtee waxee bareysaa edeb darro iyo akhlaaq xumo…I have seen gabdho yar yar oo lagu ababinaayo inee dhar xun gashtaan so how can you expect inuu canugaas wanaagsanaado markee waalidkii ay xumaanta iyaga u horseedayaan?

Ilaahey dadkeena ha u naxariisto oo wadada toosan haku hago Insha Allah…soomaaliyeey ilaahay u noqda oo xummaanta iska daaya inteydaan qabri galin oo you run out of time.

May Allah s.w guide us all through the righteous path Insha Allah.

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.

Kool_Kat   

Dadka inta qaxootiga ka ah, waligood saas lee ahaanaayaan - QAXOOTI...Intee maskaxnimadaas nagu jirto meel gaar ma jireyso...Waxaanse fahmi la'ahay, bal waatahay inta qaxooti halaga ahaado (which btw Calibeesteenka ka eheen, inta kale qaxooti lee yihiin) laakiin bal lets say wadankii nabad buu noqday, then what? What do you have to show for? Maxaa qabsanee, intee wax kabilaabee?

The opportunities given/provided to us in Canada is not just for life in Canada, but aduunkoo dhan...Qaxootinimo has nothing to do with it...Qaxooti leetehee, maanta dhan shab kunooloow, cunug after cunug after cunug systemka kudhal, aabihii ilaah ogyahay xaaladiisa, dhalin yaradii birna Soomaaliya kufakan leheed badankood ama jails ayku jiraan ama aan waxba horumar ah ama hor ukac ah aan ku fikireen, ma'aha war... :( It is really heartbreaking, specially dadka yar yar...

Ka faa'iideysta meelahaad joogtaan...Waalidkee n dhibka eynoosoo mareen aanka abaal marino oo aan proud ka dhigno...Hooyo ama aabo neceb maleh inuu cunugiisa wax barto, naftiisa/nafteedana meel kasoo saarato, noloshaana horumar kagaaro...

Tuujiye, ani boorsadey September 09, 1990 meeshaan dhigay oon ku furfuray aan uga dhaqaaqay, boorso dhan maqabi aan xir xirto iyo meel aan u xir xirto...

more than 60% of somalis had no education before and now alxamdulilah almost every somali who is not in Somalia is educated and understand meaning of life alot better.

Intee ka keentay this figure? Waxbarasho ma'aha having rudimentary reading iyo writing skills.

Kuwa simple diplomas heysto oo at the same time ignorant ah ayaa jiro, who cannot write a simple, structured sentence, mid wax aqrin karina street smart qualities leh jiro. It is not all black and white.

Qof Soomaali wax bartay oo dadkiisa iyo dalkiisa u tareynin ugu jirin niyadiisa -- qof qorshaha ugu jirin in uu wax u qabto dalkiisa baaba'san waa qof fikirkiisa iska gaabanyahay.

And if Kanada dan ka leedahay "citizenshipka" ama dadkiina mooday inay balaayo tahay, just look at Bashiir Makhtal's sad, unfortunate case. That poor, innocent brother dal u gurmado jirin, Xabashidana torturing him maalin walba. And he is "Canadian."

Tuujiye   

Bob good to see you back homie..I like the points you made. I agree..

The life we had in Somalia was a life with no worries and with lots of hope. It was a life that people never thought it would change. Is because of that we are now still in shock and don’t know how to adjust into a new ways of life with out loosing what we have (culture & religion). Like you have mentioned Bob, our community is lacking the fatherhood and the right upraising, is lacking the right mentors and leaders. We need a new voice of Somalis who could take leadership roles in every angle. We need Somalis who fully understand the missing advocacies in our communities.

Every community before us had this entire struggle and they have fought through it. But they have only done it after they understood their faults and their reasons for being here.

There is nothing wrong with loving your country and I’m not saying we shouldn’t. In this world no matter where we are, we will always be somalian and will always be looked at as somalian even if our birth place is a country other than Somalia. Living the life that is best for you and your people should be the goal for us right now. Living in a foreign country and doing the wrong things as if is a pit stop, is wrong. The life we had in Somalia was wonderful and it was wonderful because we made it wonderful. It had nothing to do with the land. Being a good father or a mother has nothing to do with what country we are in, have a good job or a career has nothing to do with Somalia, help others and building your self a good future has nothing to do with Somalia.

Like KK said, if your going to go back to Somalia, what good are you to the country if you have nothing to show for?

Wareer Badanaa!!!

Chimera   

I have a strong connection with Somalia spiritually, evendo the time i spent there as a tiny toddler was little and the decade and half+ old memmories have simply become blury images. I'm sometimes reminded of my experience in that magical place through smells, like the smell of grass in a park after a warm day always reminds of Somalia. Other triggers to the past are family members who i havent seen in years but are intricitly connected with my view of old Somalia.

Myth or no myth I just dont see myself living for the rest of my life in the West, there is just to much that attracts me to Somalia.

Fabregas   

:MMI, do you have kids by any chance abti?

See, You might still cling on to the stubborn believe that Canada is only a temporary station which doesn't deserve your allegiance. But, no doubt, the second generation( your kids if you stay in Canada) and the future third generation of Somalis will have a great deal of allegiance and belonging to UK, Canada or the USA. Thus why Somalis in the West should forget about returning to Somalia( to an extent) and concentrate more building community institutions, schools, crime prevention strategies and business in London and Elsewhere. It is this neglect and attachment to Somalia which has made alot of Somali parents totally oblvious of the number of problems faced by Somalis. Wouldn't it be better to invest in community projects in the West for SOmali youths than, say, a fancy house in Bosaso or Hargeysa?That is, unless your planning to make hijra to biladil Khilafah, wa fi madinatil Kismayo, takbir. ;)

ps.

BOB   

I have been having this same debate with my friends and family for ages and my opinion has never changed one bit...if the Somali parents do not stop dulmiga iyo fusqiga they expose to their children oo ay ilaahay u noqon then I don't see any hope for dhallinyarada Soomaaliyeed.

Maxaad filaysaa in ay dhacayaan markaad canug xalaal ah oo aad dhashay illegitimate ku sheegto si aad lacag ceydh ah u qaadato? wiilasha iyo gabdhaha yar yar waalidkaa fusqiga u ogol...gabartiina waxey usoo iibinayaan dhar xun wiilkiina waxey usoo iibiyaan dhar xun Subahanah-Allah waa maxay waxaas?

waxaad arkeysaa mid dayuus ah oo xaaska xalaasha ah oo uu qabo ku dhahaya boyfriend baa uurka iiyeelay ku dheh dowladda just because ma doonayo inuu shaqeysto...waxaas oo miiran ayaa waalid wada ah maanta oo uu iimaankii ilaahay ka qaaday and unfortunately our youth are paying the price for it marka aniga dambiga oo dhan waxaan saarayaa waalid isku sheega maanta aan leenahay hadaan Soomaali nahay.

Ilaahay hadaan loo noqon wax ka daran tan maanta taagan ayaa imaan doonta...ee Soomaaliyey ilaahey aan unoqono oo aan cafis weydiisano anaga dhexdeenana aan is cafino Insha Allah.

Salam Aleikum W.W

Peace, Love & Unity.

Kool_Kat   

MMA, please tell me what kind of life can you provide for yourself being "street smart"? Or for that matter, I am sure one day you hope to have children, how do you plan to raise your children in this country being "street smart"?

Stop digging the few sour cases against some Canadians aboard...It ain't getting us nowhere...Or should we be thinking, since this has happen to them, we're just qaxooti and will always be qaxooti; therefore, wax kale majiro?

To me, most Soomaali, specially dadka waalidiiteen la'eg ama waxoogaa ka yar, are masters of street smarts...But believe you me, I wouldn't want the way aan aniga Canada ugu soo koray (not that anything wrong with it), but still I wouldn't want to raise my daughter like that...Specially being here for almost twenty years, I can not be living like how my mom lived, who was a true qaxooti when we came to Canada...Afka meysan aqoon, systemka meysan aqoon, heck weatherkaanoo kale waligeed kuma noolaan, dadkaan badan oo kala duwan waligeed kuma dhex noolaan, etc. etc...Laakiin she managed to put us through school, made sure (although she didn't speak English, anaga lee u fasiri jirnay) she attended every school parent meeting, and that we broghout home good grades...Wax school work nagu caawin jiray ayaa iska yar, and it wasn't something she choose to do, it's wixii afkeeda ma'eheen...Marka kuligeen barasho aan ku wada jirnay, she as a mother and us as children...

Marka being street smart baan ahay, and boqolaal diploma wave gareenaay wax maqori karaan war ma'aha...Teeda kale schooladee kasoo bexeen waxaan diplomada wato aan structured sentence qori karin? icon_razz.gif

Ahh waxyaalo badan kama fikirno hadaan Soomaali nahay, like imagine when your child is asked at school 'what does your mother/father do?'...Huh! Or, when they have career days or bring your kids to work days?

Let's stop the hope of tomorrow and Somalia, and start working on how we can have better futures than our parents did as qaxootis, and how we can provide stability for our children...

Mise nimakana taxi lee saarnaanaayaan, iyagoo meshaan iyagooo teenagers ah ama ka yar yar wada yimid...Hooyooyinkan a dee systemkoodey dhinac ka dhuuqaayaan...And then will have productive kids in society... ;)