Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Your First Job Experience

Tough love really does work. That was an incredible story Orgilaqe. Your father loved you. Some people learn the lesson you have at 16 when they are middle aged.

nafta   

^^ Lol...I'm still persuading my younger brother to get some work, even if it's for two hours a week. *sigh*

I had my first job ever when I was 13. I had a paper round in my neighbourhood. The damn thing came out every day, So I had no rest during the weekends even.

Well to cut a long thing short, customers started to complain that they weren't getting their papers. I quit before they could fire me! :D

^^^ Smart move.

I dont remember when I started my first job(not paid one) we used to have to work in the family business includes weekends/weekdays(that is if we return back from the library or extra curricular activity early) sometimes and during the holidays. Thing is you dont have a specific job title you can work in all these positions in a day : secretary, telephone receptionist, an errand boy,opps girl, attentive listener, tour guide, an advisor, an observer, a cashier, computer expert and lastly be the daughter. As for my brother he had the added responsibility of being the driver and mechanic.

Back in those days what I enjoyed the most was being the tour guide (get to met new people) and being an attentive listener nice to hear interesting discussions and asked of my opinion.

I started my first paid job (yes , rebelled needed the change) was in late 1997/8, worked to establish a new school. So when I was first hired I worked as the bookkeeper kept all the accounts in order lasted for a month or two. Once the school year started I became a computer teacher plus librarian. Had to establish the school's library, had a guidebook to guide me, wasnt hard used the colour code system smile.gif .In the process purchased and read books and twice a week I gave computer classes to kids and once to the teachers.

Was a lovely experience, spending time with children and in the process introducing them to the world of books and computers.What I miss the most, is having them sitting around me, reading books to them aloud and seeing the smile on their faces. Ah, those were the days.

Well had to quit a week before I left to join Uni on a one way ticket to Turkey.

Delivering pizza flyers door to door for two bucks a bundle – each bundle contained 200 flyers, meaning 200 homes or apartments – that was in grade 8 – never worked again until I was 19 – til today I dread the idea of working for someone else --- I work for me :D

AdivA   

Salam,

First job...telemarketing..eww(never going back)

Currently working at a Dry Cleaners. Boring as hell but i getz paid icon_razz.gif

Peace ;)

J.Lee   

God.

First job: Web page designer (internship)

I got the internship through my 8th grade counselor who, after I told her I wanted to become one, contacted her sister's husband who at the time was an owner of this small tech company,and urged or rather in my opinion forced him to hire me for the summer so I could know more about my chosen profession.

Gediid   

Originally posted by Rahima:

^As i was thinking. We need more fathers like that who teach their sons to be men rather then mooching males.

One of these mooching males will one day grow up into a marvelous hubby for you or for one of the lovely Mademoiselles on SOL.... ;)

Now for my 1st job....I was 14 years old and a lil too wild for my age so that summer my dad hired me as an unpaid(yuck)helper in the organizations library in Addis Ababa ,Ethiopia.To make matters worse the librarian never cut me any slack for being the bosses son but I suppose my old man gave specific instructions against such.It was a 9 to 5 job and my duties included carrying books to the employees offices and getting them to sign the library card and then filing them in order in the office.I was also responsible for collecting all the books and following up on any unreturned books.The only perks I had were going to work with my dad and going out to lunch with him for 2 months while school was out.I also had my own little desk with my own phone and whenever the librarian was out or busy I would be making calls to my buddies and telling them which secretary was cool or dressed the best or as is the case of a 14 year old which secretary had the best legs.....I guess that was the only organizational dirt I was privy to then :D

My 1st paid job however was as an after school sports instructor at 18 at the American School in Peshawar,Pakistan where my younger siblings went to.The parents felt that the kids were not getting enuff sports during school hours and the principal who knew me hired me and I was supervising 1-8 grade kids for 2 hours a day 3 times a week.The pay was great for my age and like the rest of the foreign expatriates I was getting paid in dollars(Something I bragged about so much when telling the Somali guys who went to college in Peshawar).I also had this huge crush on this mulatto Canadian teacher in the school and it meant I got to see more of her...Not that anything happened between us tho I dreamt of such for a long time(she was a good 8 years older) but oh what a sight she was.I still remember her name Chantelle.That must have been the only job I think I never missed a day.When I look back now I think I was more interested in seeing my "woman" than the paycheck.....