Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Are remittances a good thing?

Ms DD   

Shamarke & Ngonge

When i am (was in my case) busting my deriere to work or mothers depriving **** money from her kids, only for those back home to live large, that is just abuse. I feel strongly about this cos i witnessed it. We all like to live in luxuriy but when as a mother, you are the cook, cleaner, mother, wife and nanny all by yourself in the UK, of course you will be bitter and stingy.

^^ I understand your sentiments, though based on personal experience which can be categorized as "Isolated cases". I know many will not agree with me on that. Of course there are misuses, but the bottomline is that there are folks who are in dare need or are solely dependent on these small remittances. Personally I would love them to live the kind of life I desire to live, that's if my pocket could allow. Let it be having two or more housemaids. Futhermore, it doesn't sound logic to dictate how they should use it.

Mark me, I'm against the likes of those described earlier by me. No need of sending sth to those guys.

Aaliyyah   

Ms DD I see where you are coming from sister.But, when a mother deprives some money from her kids to help others shouldn't be seen wrong. Like would you buy your daughter a 50 dollar purse or send it to a needy family back home?.

I dont know like think abt it, small money can make a difference in someone's life. Where kids nowadays wanna buy every lil thing. Like that is pure waste of money.

gues what will happen if remittance is stoped--how many companies will be closed--start from Xawalada--i don't think country's economy will survive as well as ppl,economy entities are inter-dependent from equilibrium veiw of point , Somali economy is in large-part based on remittance, You don't have exports nor your imports employ alot of ppl...the one who prefer to stop remittance dadka ayuu gaajo ku dili rabaa meesha Warlords xabad ku dileen.

Ms DD   

Stopping it would be too cruel. But as i said before, some are more deserving than others.

sharmarke

If you can afford the relatives to live in luxury, one wouldnt have problem with that. But I would object to those who can barely afford to improve on their living conditions in the UK, send money to those who tend to live life of luxury back home.