Sign in to follow this  
Khalaf

What should the legal age for marriage be?

Khalaf   

If 14 year old consented to marry lets say someone late 30s/40s, do you find this acceptable, moral? Does time/the culture have effect on this, and how we think? I think it does, because um sure vast majority would find this unacceptable. Some of u may heard the mormon cat that married 14 year girl, but say she consented and wanted to marry older dude, would u find that to be problem? we were talking about this earlier today, i asked brother a shiekh what islam says about it, he said wa haaq, wa caadi.... but i don't agree, it aint right at all in my opinion. But then whose to decide legal age for marriage, if religion says its okey?

Why is 18 years old considered an adult even in ie somalis/muslims minds today, and not say 15/16 or 17? Have we been programmed to think like this?

salaamu lah

Ibtisam   

Why are there so many threads on marriage! summer is over people.

Age: when the person feels ready and wants to get married and they find someone who also feels ready and wants to marry them.

Kool_Kat   

Khalaf, what? a 14 year, c'mon now...You can not be serious...Hadaa rabto inaad cunug koriso, sure go for it...

18yrs xataa ani qalad aan u arkaa...May be 21 or 22yrs...

Pujah   

Khalaf is 18 guys so 14 is not that bad for him....i say go for it bro, just make sure you are at one of those states that accepts that sort of marriages ...or you can always knock her up and move to Goergia the legal age is 13 if she is pregnant :D

Aaliyyah   

I don't agree with a 14 years old girl to get married, she is not mature enough to take such a huge step. Nor do I agree with 18 years old girls to get married.Keep in mind I am talking about 18 years old girls in qurbaha. Even though one might say people are different, am talking about in most cases. In my opinion, you gota be at least 22 to be married.

As for the age gap, it shouldn't exceed 10 years. gabadh 14 jir ah maxay u sheegasa nin 30 ama 40 jira. :confused:

that is my 2 cent for now

Nephissa   

But then whose to decide legal age for marriage, if religion says its okey?

The parent. It's ridiculous that we even need a legal age to tell people [men] to stay off 14 year olds. Children need to remain children as long as possible. This isn't back about 100+years ago, that what we consider to be kids now.. 13-15 year olds, were married off by the time they were 13 playing gariir or someother kids' game. Marrying children off and calling it OK, due to culture, religion, whatever have you, IS plain WRONG! To take advantage of little girls, is WRONG.

Interresting how things change and then some times, go back to old ways.

Khayr   

Originally posted by Nephthys:

quote: But then whose to decide legal age for marriage, if religion says its okey?

The parent. It's ridiculous that we even need a legal age to tell people [
men
] to stay off 14 year olds. Children need to remain children as long as possible. This isn't back about 100+years ago, that what we consider to be kids now.. 13-15 year olds, were married off by the time they were 13 playing gariir or someother kids' game. Marrying children off and calling it OK, due to culture, religion, whatever have you, IS plain WRONG! To take advantage of little girls, is WRONG.

Interresting how things change and then some times, go back to old ways.
Wrong on what level?

Biologically, they have hit puberity and as we all know-puberity is the turning point in one's life from childhood to adulthood. In the deen, once you become balagih, your sins become recorded and the grace period experies.

If someone could post why the age of say 18 or 16 become the standard marker for Adultood, please do share.

Kool_Kat   

Khayroow,waxa lagaa celcelinaayo ma inaad 14jir guursato...Bal orodoo guurso, nala socodsii waxaad kala kulanto bal...

There is a huge difference between your sins being "recorded" and getting married once you hit puberity...Besides, any man oo haweyson karo 14jir isagoo ninweyn ah is a sick pervert, PERIOD...Nothing more, nothing less... :eek: :eek: :eek:

For the sake of argument, would you let your 14yr old daughter or sister marry a 30/40yr old man?

Biologically, they have hit puberity and as we all know-puberity is the turning point in one's life from childhood to adulthood. In the deen, once you become balagih, your sins become recorded and the grace period experies.

Exactly what I was thinking akhi. If they feel they are ready they should go for it.

allan   

well technically the legal age for marrage is when the girl is old enough to bear children and the boy has his first wet dream.

offcoure if you whant a westernised view, then look up the relevent laws of that country.

Aaliyyah   

Exactly what I was thinking akhi. If they feel they are ready they should go for it.

You definitely can not permit a child who is only 14 years old to make such a big decision.