Sign in to follow this  
roobleh

Beloved Abdisalaam Hereri: From BBC to VOA

My criticism against the BBC is based on one thing

1. The quality of the news service

Lacking a good command of the Af-Soomaali language or being deficient of certain “on-air-delivery” skills has nothing to do with the accent one uses to deliver the news or the region he hails from. That itself is a colonial-created “cuqdad” and it needs to be thrown out of the window.

Having said that, any immature ramblings about “clan politics" when a public figure is criticized borders on sad ignorance.

I am more interested in the delivery of quality news service which I reckon has been compromised as of late. The ability to speak fluently, read the news properly, deliver the audio with the right tone patterns and pitches, and cruise with the right speed without frequent interruptions, are fundamental to on-air news-casting. These basic skills formulate a distinction between a “faarax on the phone” and a reporter on the radio.

In general, the new crew is not as skilled as the previous generation of BBC broadcasters. That is just my unadulterated opinion based on taste and my perception of quality.

T.C.

Gabbal   

Originally posted by Jabhad:

Goormuu Af-Soomaaligi kala fiicnaaday?

Clearly you misunderstood Jabhad. LSK did not give preference to any one accent, but both him and Brownie agreed the general quality of the Somali language on the BBC decreased.

Accent is one thing, and so is your grasp of the language itself.

BBC has become largely irrelevant.

roobleh   

Language and accent are important components of news broadcasting. You want newscasters like the old generation BBC/Somali broadcasters who can speak accent that most Somalis can understand easily. It is not only the language that most current BBC newscasters failed to master but they are lacking professionalism too. It clearly shows how the BBC/Somali service broadcasters are lacking professionalism when you hear such their names as the ones MMA mentioned which I do like to repeat again. No wonder they losing their listeners.

Abwaan   

Originally posted by Ladif:

I believe VOA is a short-term project. It will be dropped as a hot potato as soon as the US done with somalia.

lol...you know this is possible as they did this before in 1993.

Abwaan   

Originally posted by Allamagan:

Horta Amin Caamir & Yuusuf garaad maxaa dhexmaray, sowtan Amin Caamir uu ninkan iska daba dhigtay waayadan...

Cause there is no Reer Xamar in BBC Som Service. You know Amin Amir inuu xuquuqda dadkaas u doodo...looooooooool......joke

Abwaan   

Originally posted by Nephthys:

Is Mr. Hererri the dude with the sijue accent? Oo wax kasta 'A'-da raacsiiyo marku hadlaayo.

"Waxa-a ka dhacay-a dagaalo kulul-a magaalada-a Muqdisho-a."
A-a badanaa!
:D

looooool.........maya..........yaaba ka sheekayn lahaa hadduu kaas yahay oo dhihi lahaa waa la tebeyaa aan ka ahayn siduu u hadlo...www.doooooot.familylinks.doooooooot.orgiiiiiiii. Axmed Maxamed

roobleh   

Yussuf Garaad is not fit to do interviews cuz he is not good at it. Look what Abdilaahi Haji or Hereri can do to appreciate the comparison. Garaad may be is fit to producing but not broadcasting.

Jabhad   

In general, the new crew is not as skilled as the previous generation of BBC broadcasters. That is just my unadulterated opinion based on taste and my perception of quality.

I have to respectfully disagree the above opinion but again it all comes down to ones personal perception and taste.

BBC has become largely irrelevant.

It certainly has become irrelevant for some people but not all people. Lets face it, there is not a single census taken today that shows the BBC Somali service has become irrelevant or declining among our people.

It clearly shows how the BBC/Somali service broadcasters are lacking professionalism when you hear such their names as the ones MMA mentioned which I do like to repeat again. No wonder they losing their listeners.

Lets say Mr.Bashka Jugsoodhacay takes the name, Aadan Ilkacase or simly Cadoow, will it increase his professionalism? :confused:

roobleh   

^yes it makes a difference. We are here talking about the world news professionalism. You can't be taken seriously with such names as fallenmoon and tomatocrusher or Jugsoodhacay and sit in major news broadcasting rooms such as the BBC. Only this happens in the low-grade newsrooms such as the Somali service.

Jabhad   

Beloved Abdisalaam Hereri: From BBC to VOA

Annigu laftaydu muddo laga joogo shan sanno amaba ka baddan ayaan dhageysigeeda faraha ka qaaday.

Abdisalaan Hereri,

You deserve better and I will follow you to the VOA. I always liked to listen your programs and I wish you a good luck!

Haddaba, Laanta Afka Soomaaliga ee BBC-da ayaa hadda u muuqata meel ay ka sii gurmayaan wariyayaasha aqoonta u lahaa mihnadda saxaafadda, taas oo saamayn ku yeelan doonta tayada barnaamijyada ay baahiso idaacaddu.

source Jamhuuriya

Lets hope your beloved Hereri will move to VOA and transform it to compete the BBC.

I hardly ever listened BBC, and those few times were mainly after main events occured.

We are in the same category sxb when it comes to the listening of the BBC.

Originally posted by Jabhad:

Lets say Mr.Bashka Jugsoodhacay takes the name, Aadan Ilkacase or simly Cadoow, will it increase his professionalism? :confused:

Some folks cannot still get past the nostalgic days of certain regions with a certain accents dominating Soomaali airs have surely passed. Dad ayaaba u muuqda inay u dulqaadan karin ama carabkooda qaban karin magacyada qaaseed.

Magacyada sida uu magacyadiina idinla qumantahay, dad ayee magacyadaas iyo naaneysyadaas ula qumanyihiin.

Aan iska dhaafno fadeexaada qaaday dadka qaarkood. Aan iska dhaafno shaqsinimadda. Yuusuf Garaad xil ayuu u qaaday, oo garashadiis iyo garaadkiis ayaa gaarsiisay in loo dhiibo xilkaas ee masuqmaasuqnimo, qabyaaladnimo iyo wax kale ma loogu dhiibin. Heer aqooneed ayaa loogu dhiibay. Deal with that. Inkastoo waxyaabaha badan uu kusoo kordhiye aan la wada socon, let's see how Yuusuf Garaad changed the face of Beenbeensii.

What he had done the last half dozen years.

• BBC Soomaali changed from one half-hour program to a three times a day program.
  • The afternoon segment went from half-hour to one full hour version.
  • He made numerous deals with local FM short-wave radios in many towns and cities, so the masses can listen more easier, more clearly and without any shucaac. Waa dadkaas ka nastay MW inay ka raadiyaan BBC Soomaali daqiiqado.
  • We in dibaddaha can easily now listen if we want, thanks to Md. Yuusuf Garaad. He launched in 1999 the online service of BBC Soomaali. There were far and few fara ku tiris Soomaali sites in these days, let alone a radio-based one.
  • Initiated many unique programs such as doodda dhacdo every Friday.
  • Started a project which had given free training lessons to many local Soomaali journalists.
  • He hired Cowke, one of the most admired presenters and newsreaders. He also reshuffled the staff, retiring many olders, who were relucant and wanted to stay around forever.
  • He hired more diverse reporters, now most major towns have one reporter each.
  • He launched many new programs, some educational, some infotaintment, some political. He also launched serialized radio dramas.
Those are the few aan xasuusan karo, and I am sure there are many contributions he had made to BBC Soomaali since uu noqday tifaftire.

Yuusuf Garaad isma naqaano, waligeena isma arag, qaraabana ma nihin, meel aa iska galnana iska yar. Waxaa igu kaliftay inaa runta sheego because dacaadayaha raqiiska ah iyo been laga been abuurto ayaa badatay. Aqoontiis ayaa gaarsiisay meeshaas, waana sababta keentay in xataa loo dhiibo the head of African services, not only Soomaali service, in 2002.

Awoowe, in all seriousness, the quality of the BBC Somali service is not as it used to be. You yourself agreed with me on that when you mentioned the Af-Soomaali of these folks not being the "best".

Someones trash is anothers treasure ma maqal? I think different people have differnt ways of reporting news whereas different ppl like hearing from different reporters.Hereri & his ilks had a unique way while Cadow,Bashkas & his ilk have a different accent. Some love that group and others love this new group. Af Somali waa un Af Somali,but i agree that some individuals do deliver better than others.

I like Cawke for instance,I also like Axmad Taajir,both have different accents but they both deliver the news regardless.

Lets say Mr.Bashka Jugsoodhacay takes the name, Aadan Ilkacase or simly Cadoow, will it increase his professionalism?

LOL,nice questions. But let me tell you guys about Bashkas,The name Bashkas is not a real name,His name Is Baashow Khamis & his father was nickamed "Jug-soo-dhacay" the Kenyati were unable to spelt out Jugsodhacay and made it as jugsoda'ay whereas his first & second name were added and thus the name Bashkhas.

He is a veteran reporter, almost 30+ years in the journalism business,worked for the Daily Nation,well qualified man he is. icon_razz.gif

Yusuf Garaad is the man. I gave him credit for his effort & professionalism in raising the BBC Somali's standard, adding more news items, more on-air minutes and making possible that BBC Somali can be listened in local FMs. Think what it (BBC somali) was before him.