Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

Here I come Dubai

nuune   

My man BOB, Lawaashaa aw xasan hatay diwaay. Na'igga am sakaayo xawaad SA uk ra'agtay. Xamaa sheema laaya xaasiiboow. Jabaqaa? Ar saak leem sakta aw xuubaaye si'aga oos gat sheema ramaxyahow

Baashi, naigaba am sakaayo xawuu BOB uk ra'key SA, sheemaas leem ciifan am ha'an lawwaahi, kaalin xawuu uk cejlaadey uuw oon geeeshi noodaa!

Heey Baashi, reykh ya'aan uuk jareeni, rawar nawaagsan ak neek Dubai, naigu ram rohe ya'aan gatey dubai kaalin xil rabi sab ya'aan goojey, kahuu camaanaato xaasiib.

Ms DD   

I dont know if anyone would leave a job in the UK/US for one in Dubai in the long term. How secure is it? How long will this boom last? It is volatile region after all.

N.O.R.F   

A quick low down.

Dubai is still booming, many businesses are investing here and moving people across. It is likely to peeter off (the boom that is) and many people are settling here for good. I hope to be here for good IA. Make it my ‘main’ home in addition to the two others.

If you want to move here then you must think of the following:

Healthcare

Schools

Accommodation

Most companies give allowances in addition to your salary so they don’t need to worry about all the paperwork/arrangement. This is good as you can save on all and have some extra money (if you do the research before hand and know what it all costs). Ask for a fuel allowance as well. You do get a Govnt Health Card where your medical bills are subsidised.

Islam

Contrary to people’s perceptions are about the UAE, you do feel you are in an Islamic country (when you get out of the malls of course). The amount of charity work is very impressive. You can pay your Zakaatul Maal/Fitre while walking on the street with many causes presented for you to contribute toward. There is the Sunni Centre for Quran Memorisation, numerous Islamic/Arabic courses.

Expats

There are certain areas where expats (westerners & westerners of foreign origin) are the majority (usually new developments like Arabian Ranches, Meadows, Springs etc). A visit to the masjids in these areas will probably mean a single row (probably incomplete) praying. Dressing modestly is not they’re forty.

Arabs

Very polite but have a completely different attitude behind the wheel. Very easy to get on with and will probably take an interest in your Somali background.

Roads

Throw the rule book out of the window! Traffic is bad at rush hour so be careful where you reside yourself. Abu Dhabi is ok (I think).

Schools

There are plenty but do some research into the best school for your kids/siblings. These are usually the big 3!. American, British and French Schools of which there are plenty. Some schools have all 3 curriculums. Some have Islamic Studies as well (with the option of learning it (Islam) in Arabic instead of English).

Holidays

Eid al fitre

Eid al adxaa

National day

Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) birthday

Islamic new year

Gregorian New Year

Isra wal mircaaj

Labour Law

http://www.mol.gov.ae/Pages-EN/documents-en/rule-labour.HTML

War Baashow, khabar badan baa laga sugayaa adeer :D !

Cummaanna soo eeg dee; it's said that it's quitely becoming the new Dubai of the region.

Bashii,

good luck on your trip to dubai. However Somali needs u now.. forget about dubai and go back to somali to contribute something there. Im sure one does not need any sort of training to clean up the streets. thats what im planing to do, wanna join me??? :D

NASSIR   

"Heey Baashi, reykh ya'aan uuk jareeni, rawar nawaagsan ak neek Dubai, naigu ram rohe ya'aan gatey dubai kaalin xil rabi sab ya'aan goojey, kahuu camaanaato xaasiib." Nuune,

Can I translate,

Baashi kheyr ayaa kuu rajaynayaa, warar wanaagsan ka keen Dubai. Anigu mar hore ayaan tagey Dubai laakin lix beri bes aan joogey. Hakuu macaanaato saaxib"

:D:D I am not from Kismayo though.

I heard Dubai is the best place to be.

nuune   

^^^ Good translation, exactly what I said, am not from Kismaayo too except one month I was there in transit during dagaalkii 90/91gii en route to Kenya.