Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Dilemma

-Lily-   

How good a friendship are we talking here? A pizza and a movie friend or die together kind of friends?

If you deserved the promotion go for it. Your friend cannot be mad at your for something you worked hard for. You don't owe her just because she recommended you, it might have helped but people do not get jobs simply because someone else likes them. If this friend has best ineterest at heart then she will be happy for you.

Maf Kees   

I would fire her myself. If she expects me to pass up on that promo. Than she's not a friend is she? Send her a card or something.

However, if it was me; I wouldn't accept no matter how big the cheque is. It would hurt so much, but I'd feel guilty. And I loathe that feeling.

Better than the feeling when the bills are piling up like a mother and knowing you had a chance to get promoted.

Jacpher   

It all depends on the situation, the trust level of the friendship and everyday office politics. No doubt in my mind that I would make it crystal clear that my bosses is probably breaking company confidential agreement by informing me of future status of current employee. You see my boss should know in the first place that I would take a bullet for my friend. The firing has to take place before he whispers in my ear that I’m the possible candidate for the soon to be vacated position.

If the friendship were strong enough, I would consider taking the promotion without losing the friend, but not before the boss gets his act together. The trust level of the friendship should reach the point where the friend encourages you to not pass the opportunity.

Do I see backstabbers or what? Have you not heard the phrase, “A friend in need is a friend in deed.â€

Som@li   

This is a test of loyalty, I would say if you are good at what you do, forget abt this promotion, there will be more coming, Also, you can discuss this with your friend first, before making any decision.

One woman's loss is another woman's gain - If she is going to get fired either way, you might as well accept it - And the friend's relationship is actually in question - Wheather she is going to be selfish and let you decline or su.ck up and move on - Cuz in both cases she is fired - I say throw her to the wolves - :D Dog eat dog world afterall -

Foxy   

first of all the boss leaking such sensetive info on who's getting laid off or what not should re-read the code of employment conduct!

secondly, concerns with one's own interests comes first. its not a matter of moral evaluation, but rather what works for you in the long term, i.e, A sane person needs to discover and practice the principles which one's survival requires. at the end of the day its your morality of rational self interest. so i reckon if the advancement of a career related promotion is offered on a silver platter, then to heck with breach of freindship or who got You the Job! :D:D . But if its only an odd casual job to make from point A to B means, then one might need to think twice......thats if your friendship is tight or what have you

cheers