Sign in to follow this  
Fabregas

The Nonsense Demands of the Somali Cabbies in Minneapolis

N.O.R.F   

If a guy doesnt want to carry alcohol in 'his' (note his) taxi then thats fine.

I'm more concerned with these so called Somali journalists living in Arab countries doing nothing but belittleing their Somali brothers.

As a Muslim, I'm amazed that many of those cabbies in the Twin Cities would refuse to pick up such passengers. Their justification is that the Muslim religion would not allow them to "carry alcohol."

Do you have anything to counter it?

First, we cannot force our values on to non-Muslims as they cannot force theirs on us. It is the Muslim religion that forbids us to transport alcohol, not theirs. So, it is not your business for what a passenger brings in to your cab as long as it is legal in that country.

Isnt a taxi a form of transport?

By the way, it is the passenger who is carrying the alcohol, not the cabbie who is driving it

Erm no he is not driving the alcohol. He is carrying it in his taxi ie transporting it!

Another attention seeking Somali 'journalist' :rolleyes:

Taliban   
Ali Deria strikes me as a typical secular. His argument is; in order to avoid discrimination, a Muslim should compromise with the teachings of Islam. You can't fault a secular, because Islam doesn't play an important role in the lives of seculars, plus they know little about it. I support and applaud the steadfastness and integrity of Somali cabbies in Minneapolis.

Another attention seeking Somali 'journalist'

The only attention seeking individual here is you.

This is ludicrous, and the man just expressed his views and so many views all around, and that automatically makes him an attention seeker?

Do you know how you come off as? A man who no matter what, even if his own neighbourhood is being bombed, and the bombers were muslims, I bet you would have their back and probably rationalize their behaviour.

This story, when it was first published nationally, I felt that they were just crying wolf, I mean, I'm going to say the same thing I said about that sister in the police force. If you can't take the heat, you have no business being in that type of industry.

For god sake, they are cab drivers, who are they to dictate anything? What they need to do is stay quite and earn their cash and move on about, if not, get the h*ll out of the taxi business.

It isn't ok for a muslim or anyone for that matter to tell a client what they should or shouldn't bring into a vehicle that in legal terms belongs to that client/customer duration of the ride.

Its a public service and it should be treated as such and if they feel that strongly about carrying alcohol, which isn't in their reach, no where near sight, then they shouldn't be public servants.

Get into the private sector, open a business, or better yet stop driving a taxi and do something more productive.

Ebyan   

When you decide to become a cabbie in the US, then you've to sign and follow the Taxi Commission's rules in the city that you want to work. By signing it, you are obliged to follow its rules. But, you've the right to refuse to sign the commission's rules and choose a different job. There are many other jobs that are better than picking up a drunken passenger at night just to throw up in your cab

I agree with the author. You're a cabbie, either perform your job like you're suppose to or quit.

bilan   

Originally posted by Northerner:

If a guy doesnt want to carry alcohol in 'his' (note his) taxi then thats fine.

first of all this is not muslim country, there is law that forbids anyone who works with the public denying service to anyone and that includes shop owners, cab drivers etc. how would feel if white cab drivers refuse to give ride to muslims, blacks etc..so those cab drivers if they have objection then they should find another way to earn living. and also those cab drivers are the worst, i do not want them to talk to me about religion till they stop cheating on welfare.

Taliban   

Originally posted by bilan:

and also those cab drivers are the worst, i do not want them to talk to me about religion till they stop cheating on welfare.

You are wrong; they aren't the worst. Most of them are hardworking good Muslims. Most important; they aren't seculars (ilbax).

Pujah   

This must be a joke.

The only time they make real money is 2-3 in the morning on Friday and Saturday so who are they kidding here :rolleyes: puh-leese

N.O.R.F   

Lazie

It isn't ok for a muslim or anyone for that matter to tell a client what they should or shouldn't bring into a vehicle that in legal terms belongs to that client/customer duration of the ride.

Which legality takes precedence here? Should he obey the laws of the country or his religion? Put a case forward.

Bilan

first of all this is not muslim country,

I know. But he is a Muslim right?

there is law that forbids anyone who works with the public denying service to anyone and that includes shop owners, cab drivers etc.

State the particular law please. Then we will look for any holes in it.

how would feel if white cab drivers refuse to give ride to muslims, blacks etc..

This is a discussion on relious beliefs and their performance not of miscellaneous 'what ifs'.

so those cab drivers if they have objection then they should find another way to earn living

Heres a thought, maybe they feel they are right and see no need to.

I'm a cab driver who refuses to take people who are carrying alcohol. If you want me to change my stance please forward your argument with supporting evidence.

Save the waffelling please!

Som@li   

you can enroll in one of those good schools in the Twin Cities and choose a respectable career in the medical or engineering fields. bb

^^the auther is being sarcastic here, most of these cabbies ar not educated. Taxi business is for the uneducated,unskilled people.

These cabbies remind me the saying "Beerka jecli ,Xaydha Jecli",they cant be in taxi business and work for a halal money...They carry somethings worse than alcohol, sinners, whores, prostitutes,gays.

Which legality takes precedence here? Should he obey the laws of the country or his religion? Put a case forward.

The terms and conditions papers they signed off on when they got their licence.

Ofcourse they should obey the laws of the country they live in without comprising their faith, but when one chooses freely to become a cabbie on their own free will, obeying religion and faith is out of the door dear.

Do you actually think nimankaan iney hadlilahaayeen haduunan 9/11 dhicin, and therefore islam phobia oo soconin? They would have kept their mouth shut, and kudos to the person who brought up that genius point about them picking up a drunken individual off the streets at 2am. I bet they would pick up without a problem, after all thats when they make the most money.

Listen, no one is forcing these men to obey the rules and regulations, but the minute they signed off those dotted lines in their contract, they themselves agreed to obey the laws of the country and its rules. Therefore, you have no grounds to stand, questioning what rules they should obey, because they are the ones who agreed to these same rules to begin with.

Would you want a white cabbie to say sorry cant pick u up, because of the color of your skin? If the answer is no, then these cabbie's better get their acts together, we can't just play one sided, if you don't want to be discriminated against, then no one deserves to be discriminated against either. You are no better than those passengers at the MN airport who happen to be carrying alcohol substance in their bags.

Jaylaani   

Layzie has a great point here. You can't discriminate people according to their color, race or religion. You don’t wanna be treated like that way so why do it to others.

Obey the law of the country you living in without compromising your religious believes. You wouldn't work in Beer factory knowing it is haraam so why drive a cab if you think it would compromise your faith? Just don’t do these jobs and you will be fine.

How do they feel about their wives collecting welfare and living in Section 8 units while working and collecting cash without paying taxes?

Xalaal iyo xaaran tiibaa iskaga qaldan dadkan.

Their issue has no justification. Every duty has a job description. You must honor your responsibly or simply vacate your position and leave that job. If you don’t wanna transport alcohol, prostitution and drugs, being a cabby isn’t your cup of tea. Do something else.

P.S. Somalida waxaan leeyahay…please stop acting like you’re ina maqaaxi in Dhuusa mareeb. When the media is doing story about you, you shouldn’t allowed camera inside of your establishment knowing your customers are playing cards, smoking cigarettes and looking silly while you’re being religious and holly. It doesn’t add up.

Urban   

just out of curiosity, how the hell can the cabbies find out if the customers are carrying alcohol? luggage checks? looking through their shopping bags :confused:

I get on a taxi, and all the driver asks for is my destination.. not what i'm carrying in my wallet/bag/suitcase..