Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Abaarso Tech University Wall Street Partner to offer internship in New York City

Originally posted by Safferz:

quote:Originally posted by AfricaOwn:

You're backtracking terribly. I really thought you had something for him.

And yes, the onus is on Oodweyne, since nothing I have said is contentious, disputed only by those who insist on politically motivated revisionist narratives (as is the case with the individuals in this thread).

You're all more than capable of looking into the historical research I am alluding to, but if it helps in narrowing your search, taking a look at some of the work of Lee Cassanelli at UPenn on education may be a good start. Said Samatar, David Laitin and Abdi Samatar have all also written on the subject.
Do you have any links? Titles? Help me do the research please.

And I still think the onus is on you since you are the one that challenged.

Any work by the Samater brothers relating to the topic of Somaliland will be dismissed and I think you know why :D

Off topic: You're from Hargeisa, so I assume that you support independence aspirations ;)

Jacaylbro.....waar Mukulaasha ayaaba la qaatey ee mamaqashay in Cabdilaahi Suldaan Tima Cade AU oo jooga baarlamaankii lagaran waayey markii cabaar la is weydiiyey odaygani kuuyahay ayaa mid soo booday oo yidhi....Makasaysaan miyaa Duqan? markaasay yidhaadeen i iih makasayno! markaasuu yidhi soow duqii Calanka uheesayey maaha? lol calankaaba dhac dheh

NASSIR   

Hales, correction saxib, Sanaag region or by extension the North had much better quality schools. Bur'an had primary school whose curriculum and language of instruction was in English. It was established by the colonial admin of back then. Las Qoray had a similar one. (Alim Fatah went to this school before moving on to Sheikh and Amoud).

Also in Sanaag, Dayaha and Erigavo had a good primary schools. You are right however, secondary schools had not been established until later.

Take a look at this quote:

..in the south generally, because an Italian first degree conferred upon its bearer the title of
Dottore
(which means Doctor and was mistakenly thought to be equivalent to PhD), and that was a formidable title in a country where many of the policymakers did not even posses elementary school certificates.

From "Governance" by Ismail Ali Ismail

Also, one thing to remember is that the education in the North had much better quality and reflected good on the northern civil services in comparison to the southern civil services before the full integration of the two systems. Barre's military government made things worse as he stripped the North of some essential northern-based civil services. For instance, Britain, Italy and Egypt had all consulates in the North, which issued visas.

Ismail writes, "Departments in the north such as Education and Health were autonomous and both schools and hospitals compared favorably with those in the south. Life was good and people did not need to go to Mogadishu for services"

So it was all good until the military regime's arbitrary integration policies deteriorated the healthy of the country, thereby stagnating the North's natural progress.

I believe Northern Somalia (Sanaag, SL, PL, and Sool) is much better today in terms of Education, telecommunication and trade, but worse in terms of Public Health, food security, and overall the economy.

NASSIR   

Btw, kudos to Abaarso.

JB, does this private High School focus more on two main subjects English literature and Finance? Or its curriculum is quite wider..?

In terms of participation in lower education(primary and intermediate) I agree with Safferz that Somali's made a big step forward in the period after 1960-1990.

And Somaliland actually reached those pre-war levels of participation again in the period 2000-2010. Somaliland hopes to reach the MDG's in 2015 with 80% enrollement of all children in primary and intermediate education.

But in terms of participation in secondary and higher education the current numbers in Somaliland

are far greater then ever. So Oodweyneh is correct.

So guys you are both correct depending on which level of education.

Originally posted by SuulCawro:

Jacaylbro.....waar Mukulaasha ayaaba la qaatey ee mamaqashay in Cabdilaahi Suldaan Tima Cade AU oo jooga baarlamaankii lagaran waayey markii cabaar la is weydiiyey odaygani kuuyahay ayaa mid soo booday oo yidhi....Makasaysaan miyaa Duqan? markaasay yidhaadeen i iih makasayno! markaasuu yidhi soow duqii Calanka uheesayey maaha? lol calankaaba dhac dheh

:D:D:D:D