Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Syria bans the Niqab

Aaliyyah   

I have entertained the idea of wearing niqaab since I was 17. But, I always had this idea that it had no place in the west. I know few girls who wear niqaab, but I personally did not see the point of wearing niqaab and drawing so much attention. We are already different as we are wearing abaya and hijaab. I did not see it to be necessary to over do the way I dress. However, that I would wear it one day when I settle somewhere in carabaha.

So it is heart breaking to hear that syria banned the niqaab, and sadly many arab countries will most likely follow it....waa aduun gadoomay say somalidu dhahdo :(

salaam

Khayr   

Originally posted by Ferguson:

quote:Originally posted by Jacaylbaro:

I'm waiting for the day Saudi Arabia does the same ,,,,
:D

I am waitibg the day Silanyo does the same.
All that is needed is for one incident to be linked to niqaabis (read: Nigabis and alsh....)

and Siilanyo will no doubt ban the niqaab. He is just like the rest - a muslim only by name, Somalilander at heart!

Kamaavi   

Originally posted by Khayr:

quote:Originally posted by Ferguson:

quote:

Originally posted by Jacaylbaro:

I'm waiting for the day Saudi Arabia does the same ,,,,

I am waitibg the day Silanyo does the same.
All that is needed is for one incident to be linked to niqaabis (read: Nigabis and alsh....)

and Siilanyo will no doubt ban the niqaab. He is just like the rest - a muslim only by name, Somalilander at heart!
The day he does (anything like that) will just increase the amount of knives in circulation that can be firmly planted in his back. Ma isagaa ku dhaca! :D

Maaddeey   

Originally posted by Johnny B:

Is Niqaab an Islamic Attire ? i ask.

War heedhe, Adigu ma xishootid miyaa! Meeqa mar baad su'aashan weydiisay oo jawaabo badan lagaa siiyey?. Hadduusan Islaami ahayn muxuu kaloo ahaan lahaa? sow ma ogid in Casrul Jaahiligii dumarku xijaaban jirin oo madaxa, qoorta, gacnaha iwm. u qaawnaayeen?. Xijaabka waxa la farad yeelay waqtigii Madiina, markaas kadib ayaa dumarka Xijaab & Niqaab'ba lagu arkay.

Waxay Culimadu isku raacsanyihin in Ummuhaatul Mu'miniin Niqaabku waajib ku ahaa!.

Sh. Ali al Tantaawi AUN wuxuu Memoir'kiisa ku qoray in Fernjigu intuusan soo gelin Syria in Dumarka Muslimaatka ah niqaabnaayeen.

Hadduu war ku gelaayo waa ku kaa Islaamkaan naqaaney, wax kale haddaad weydiineysayse ad lee waaye!.

Tuujiye   

^^^ Waraa Al-shabaab yahoo rabshada badan, Niqaamka gabartii xirato waa ajar u kordhaya oona u dhaxeeya ayada iyo ilaaheeda... Kala saar wixii farad ah iyo waxaan aheen kala saar Jalbaab iyo niqaam!.... sheekh baa saan dhahaydana jooji... Ilaahey kitaab iyo xadiis buu gacmaha kuu galiyay.... Niqaabka wuxuu awal ahaa xag dhaqan laakiin hada gabdhaha waxee u xirtaan si ee imaankooda ku kordhiyaan....

Siiriya iyo egypt baa mabnuucay laakiin Israil baa ogalaatay loool aduunkaana waxaan dhahnaa maxaa muslimka loo heystaa lool....

Wareer Badanaa!!!

Johnny B   

Originally posted by Maaddeey:

War heedhe, Adigu ma xishootid miyaa! Meeqa mar baad su'aashan weydiisay oo jawaabo badan lagaa siiyey?. Hadduusan Islaami ahayn muxuu kaloo ahaan lahaa? .......

disregarding you blubber concentrating on the answers given,one can but gather that 'Niqab' is actually a source of disagreement among Muslims.

For some it is an Islamic Attire for some it is not.

Ban the darn thing i say , not that i support government telling people how to dress but this cover-up in the public room is way too barbaric in every standard.

Polanyi   

^^ Niqab is not a source of disagreement amongst Muslims, wax fahan. The only disagreement is the status of it, meaning if it is obligatory for a women to wear or if it is a recommended sunnah act. In both cases, the Niqab is still part and parcel of Islam. In any case, whether it is part of Islam or or not is a non issue, since this is not one of the deciding factors most governments are using when banning the item.

Hales   

A source of disagreement it is, despite the hadiths, some culuma say it is a tradition followed from Pre-Islamic era, some say its only for the Prophets Wife and other say its a recent phenomenon.

The reason why its not wore by most Muslim woman, if you look at each society youll always notice that the niqab wearers are always a small minority and is not a popular practises.

Personally i believe its an Islamic cultural tradition which is respectable when wore but i definitely dont belive its waajib.

This is one of many enforcements which leads Muslims to say that the Taliban extremists, they forcefully make each female wear it and make it a punishment not to.

Johnny B   

Originally posted by Karl_Polanyi:

^^ Niqab is not a source of disagreement amongst Muslims, wax fahan.

Beside the strident tone in your writing, there not much to 'fahan', except the fact that your above assertion is but a blatant lie.

The only disagreement is the status of it, meaning if it is obligatory for a women to wear or if it is a recommended sunnah act.

In both cases, the Niqab is still part and parcel of Islam.

This contradicts your own earlier assertion.

If 'Niqab' is obligatory , therefore part of Islamic regulations for disfuguring women, then it is an Islamic obligation to abide by , but if it is not, one fails to see any difference between the status of the 'Niqab' and the status of the Bra, which is not as in your words part and parcel of Islam.

In any case, whether it is part of Islam or not is a non issue, since this is not one of the deciding factors most governments are using when banning the item.

From NGONGE's point of view it actually is a non-issue, but from your stand-point it IS an issue .

regardless of what reasons governments give in their fight aginst the cover-up or women disfigurement in the public room,it would still beat the purpose as that would mean mob-ruling over individual choices, but for you,it is an Issue , look at who are protesting wildly? yes Muslims , look who are advocating for its ban? yes Muslims.

You , unlike NGONGE cant have it both ways , namely its status is a source of disagreement , at the same time it is a non-issue.

Maaddeey   

^^'source of disagrement' & 'not Islamic' kala saar, only obligatory is Islamic? what about the 'recommended'?. You believe women in pre-Islam wore Niqab?.

Polanyi   

Johnny B, again, wax fahan.

1. NIQAB: mentioned in several early Muslim sources(Bukhari, etc.). All of the Early Islamic Scholars and the four schools of Islamic thought are agreed upon this.

2. However, there is a difference of opinion on the status of niqab. Some Ulema hold it to be Waaajib(Obligatory for the Muslim women to wear it at all times as they deem the face to be part of a women's awrah).Other Ulema hold the Niqab to be something highly recommended and virtous, but they believe it is not something obligatory. Yes, there is a disgareement here. But this doesn't meant that Muslims scholars or Muslims are in disagreement as to whether or not the Niqab is part of Islam. For example, the Hanafi school of thought doesn't hold the view that Niqab is obligatory at all times; yet, some of their early scholars recommend women to wear it in times of "fitna". So, as you can see there is a difference of opinion on the status of Niqab under Islamic Shairah, and not if it is part of Islam or not.

3. A bra is not worn out of religious conviction nor does it appear in any Islamic texts. USING it as a comparison shows your ignorance.

4. It is you who wants to have it both ways, ya Johnny. Apparently women should be allowed to wear what they want and governments shouldn't intervene in such personal matters. Lakin, there should be an exception for the "barbaric" Niqab. Sums up your position accurately, no?

5. Most government banning Niqab would do it anyway even it was proven that it was completely part of Islam. Bukhari or the fiqh of the madhabs are the least of their concerns when debating this issue. Most of their arguments are centred around the freedom or oppression of women. This is why i said it is a non issue, that is, in the greater context of the debate.

@Hales:

No Muslim scholar
, whether among the predecessors or contemporary scholars, has ever been reported to have regarded wearing niqab as forbidden except in the case of ihram for women. The scholarly difference regarding the issue of niqab is only over whether it is obligatory, recommendable, or merely permissible. Thus it is untenable that a Muslim jurist would regard niqab as prohibited or even merely undesirable in Islam. Hence, I was really shocked to learn that the writer Baha' published an opinion attributed to some Al-Azhar scholars to the effect that they believe that veiling the woman's face falls under prohibiting what Almighty Allah has originally permitted. In fact, the advocates of this view cannot be said to be of firm knowledge about the Qur'an or the Sunnah or fiqh.

Suppose even that wearing niqab is merely permissible — as I do myself believe — not obligatory or desirable. Even in such a case, any Muslim woman may wear it, and no one has the right to prevent her from doing so. It is her personal right, and in practicing it she neither falls short of her duties nor causes others harm. Even man-made laws and the conventions of human rights advocate the personal rights of people.

Yusuf Qardawi

Read more: