Aluminum industry

Karl Albrecht

Germany

$27 billion

Aldi supermarkets

Interesting how 4 of the 10 are from India

See the full list

Ibtisam   

I'm suprised there are no Arabs in the top 10??? :confused: And there are more Indians than Russians. Something wong

NGONGE   

^^ They're not in it because most of them are not required to legally declare their earnings like their Western counterparts. But I bet the top Sheiks earn three or four times what the top person in that list has.

The price of crude oil has rocketed recently. It's 100 American dollars per barrel. Now, when you consider that countries such as the UAE produce (or plan to produce) 250,000 barrels per day, it means they earn 25 million PER DAY! They've been doing it for over 40 years. Those countries are practically dictatorships!

Now, armed with such information, would you say it's a huge leap to assume that some of those Sheikhs amassed fortunes that surpass the 62 Billion of the top man in that list?

Ibtisam   

^^^In order to store and invest all that money, There must be some legal thing they do to log their wealth nooh?

The other thing is, Arabs; it is a family wealth, it can hardly be considered as the wealth of an individual. The other thing is separating individual wealth from state money, Their boundaries cannot be all that clear.

Maybe it’s to do with the fact that Arab countries have not embraced democracy and the rule of law. Instead they are primitive and languishing at the rung of the development ladder!

N.O.R.F   

^^and East Africa is? What is wrong with dictatorship/non democracy when there is peace?

Our Sheikh is about to buy Liverpool FC! :cool:

Ibtisam   

Liverpool fans are forever complaining. I wish you guys will just sale up and shut up. Is that confirmed North or just more speculation?

Originally posted by Northerner:

^^and East Africa is? What is wrong with dictatorship/non democracy when there is peace?

no billionaires hail from there! thats whats wrong!

its all abouts Spurs!

NGONGE   

^^ :D

Hicks open to Gillett sale

Takeover saga at Liverpool takes another twist

By Chris Burton Last updated: 6th March 2008

Sky Sports News Liverpool co-owner Tom Hicks will not stand in the way of George Gillett selling his 50 per cent stake in the club.

Gillett is understood to be in negotiations with Dubai International Capital (DIC) concerning the potential sale of his shares, but required the backing of Hicks in order to complete any deal.

The two Americans entered into an agreement at the time of their purchase of the club that stipulated that if either of them should decide to walk away from Anfield then the other would have first refusal on buying their partner out.

Hicks was initially interested in obtaining complete control of the Reds and was strongly opposed to any external investors becoming involved in the running of the club.

However, he has now relented and is believed to be seeking discussions of his own with DIC representatives.

He insists that he has no intention to part with his stake in the club and any meeting with the interested consortium would be to establish a working relationship between the two parties.

With Gillett now free to push on with the proposed sale of his shares it is possible that the situation could be resolved by the weekend.

Source

N.O.R.F   

^^Good news

Originally posted by marcassmith:

quote:Originally posted by Northerner:

no billionaires hail from there! thats whats wrong!

its all abouts Spurs!
Spurs? Explains everything :D

Democracy is over-rated saxib.

Faheema.   

You're right Ibs, When it comes to Arabs, it's more of 'Collective Wealth' than one individual declaring it all as his/hers.

They do like to show off though and they are known to have extravagant spending habits.

Northerner,

If you want to use football supporter’s stereotypes then you would be an ignorant, irrational and often clumsy person. Not to mention that bloody accents. But I know you don’t fit into any of those stereotypes. So why do you see it fit to label me as the typical spurs fan. And why do you see it fit to judge my personal politics on the basis of the team I support.

N.O.R.F   

^^I was pulling your leg saxib. No offence intended. A Somali supporting Spurs is not very common. I did know one guy who did but he later became an Arsenal fan (is there any original Arsenal fan?). But as I said, I was jesting.

I wish to continue the democracy issue with you though. What say you?

Democracy, what democracy, it's a western concept, rooted in western experience rolled out to the rest of the world as liberal democracy due to its supposedly triumphalism, focused on transforming political systems in such a way that legitimises intervention/protection of the western interest instead of rightful constituencies....

lol democracy lord help me people are overfeed with its illusion that they start subscribing to its existence. Do me a favour if you know anything about democracy you will know there is no such thing as democracy there is only interest/power accumulation....

ps highly recommended book for you Democracy for the few...go and read it