Sign in to follow this  
Born Friday

Baby Names

Ladies and Gentelmen. I have the pleasure of becoming and aunt soon and i have been given the honour of naming my nephew

" who is to come soon insha ALLah". Now i want your help in coming up with male somali names. Not ARABIC Names, so khalid and yonis etc are out of the question. Has to be Somali of origin, the older and the unheard of the name the better "no weird stuff pls". Liban is out of the question no offense to anyone here called Liban!

Any suggestions? I have few but i would appreciate for more suggestions:)

Well, so far we have about four Libans in our family, its been over used and abused in our family. I have nothing against Arabs but we have language too, we have beautiful names in Somali i would rather use. We dont speak Arabic so why give our children Arab names...?

And conterary to popular belief, it has nothing to do with religion!

Baashi   

How about:

For girls

Haboon

Hibo

Ebyan

Idil

Nasteexo

Ladan

Bilan

Qorran

For boys

Mahad

Galad

Guled

Zakaria

Liban

Hanad

Warsame

Good luck.

Tahliil   

Now i want your help in coming up with male somali names

I would say dig deep and instead of lookin somewhere else for Somali names why not take a look at the names of Nomads on S O L, you will b surprised…you can pick one of these colorful and creative names for your nephew...Good LUCK

Tahliil (that’s me)

Faarax

Baashi

Dalmar

Ducaqabe

Orgilaqe

Dhubad

Kooshin

Caano geel

Qori Xabaalan (my favorite)

Sharma’arke

Waheliye

Wayrax

Qorane

Nuune

Looyaan

Maslax…

Bishaar

Tuujiye

And the fastest and boldest of all

Xiin-Finiin...among dozens out there

bilan   

well i am not sure if you can eliminate arabic names and at the same time name your nephew good name,cause you are limiting yourself with few names,true name has nothing to do with religion, howeverlangauge of religion influences believers of that religion,btw names such as zakiria and yonis are not arabic names but names of prophets, anyway here are the names i can come up, (i hope you would not pick up your nephew a name he'll be uncomfortable with even if he goes back to somalia,cause every generation have their won name). btw why people are listing girl names,she wants boy name

qowdhan

qamaan

samatar

colaad

bulxan

guuleed

kooshin

keenadiid

xayle

fiidoow

kulmiye

guureeye

samakaab

sugule

siidoow

Oocyte   

Somali names for boys;

Samatar

Saxardiid

Samaale

Sooyaan

Baxnaan

Warsame

Waasuge

Warmooge

Warfaa

Weheliye

Gaarane

Guhaad

Galleyr

Gallad

Gaashaan

Guuleed

Garhaye

Geeddi

Calas

Cawaale

Raage

Rooble

Mahad

Mooge

Mataan

Liibaan

Looyaan

Ladane

Kooshin

Keenaddiid

Ayaanle

Salaan...

Qani (hadee gabar tahay)

Qamaan (haduu wiil yahay)

And anybody who noticed the trend since '90 the Soomaali children having Soomaali names becoming increasingly rarer, will be very proud of you as a habaryar/eedo willing to a give that child a real Soomaali name, Eebbe eebe idmo. It is indeed a rare breed to see a child having a Soomaali name in these obscure-obsessed, Carabi-naming age of ours.

Wow guys thats fantastic. I only had few names and i couldnt think of more. I had Magan, Hanad, Sharmarke and Baxnaan. But there are great suggestions from some of you too. Butaaco is a real name or you guys messing with me?! But i got great names from you for girls too.....im making notes.