Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

WOMEN'S HEALTH- - -LETS EDUCATE OURSELVES

BLEACHING CREAMS

Most people think that the reason bleaching creams arent good for you is because they actually make your appearance way worse than before. I just attended a "women's health" lecture where the were talking about women's health hazard and youll be surprised to know that the main ingredient in the bleaching creams is MERCURY. Yes the poisonous mercury. Although the amount of mercury in creams is strictly regulated in North America, thats not the case in Africa. Companies make lots of profit out of this product and dont have any restrictions on the amount of mercury used. SO when a woman applies the cream to her skin, the mercury enters her bloodstream and causes havoc to her internal organs. SOmetimes the extent of damage to the organs is so huge, that the body shuts down and the person dies. And if the woman is pregnant her fetus is affected and will grow up with multiple health problems. And if she gives birth, the mercury will enter her milk ducts and the baby will drink the contaminated milk.

HOUSEHOLD PRODUCTS:

THe only precautions women take when using cleaning products for their sinks, ovens, bathrooms, and floors are rubber gloves. What they fail to realize is that whenever those products are used chemical fumes are released in the air and are ingested when inhaled. These chemicals are transferred to the bloodstream and cause such symptoms as dizzyness, headaches, nose bleeds, rashes, etc.

Is anyone interested in talking more about the health hazards women face in general and the somali community in particular? I tried to find old posts that might discuss these kinds of important issues but couldnt find any.

P.S. Sorry if Im rambling and some of my sentences dont make sense...Im on a ten minute break and dont have the time to check my grammer. Ill try to research this topic and come up with supporting evidence.

Damsel...nice post...i'm into the health sciences and nutrition.....especially those concerning femalez...and the Somali community in general...

i'm kinda in exam week..so i do apologize i'm not able to post'em today..but next time look 4 posts about common problems facing our community today such as

Anemia

Constipation*

Poor dental health*

Allergies

Lipid abnormalities

Diabetes*

Childhood and Postpartum Obesity

Failure to thrive (FTT)

Feeding Disorders/Feeding Mismanagement

Daycare feeding concerns

Eating disorders (among Somali teens, this is a fairly new and upcoming concern)

* those i specialize n' know alil mo than the average halimo..lol..

Damsel

HOUSEHOLD PRODUCTS:

THe only precautions women take when using cleaning products for their sinks, ovens, bathrooms, and floors are rubber gloves. What they fail to realize is that whenever those products are used chemical fumes are released in the air and are ingested when inhaled. These chemicals are transferred to the bloodstream and cause such symptoms as dizzyness, headaches, nose bleeds, rashes, etc.

The quantity and type of chemicals used is also important.If only one type of product is used the stated harm is minimal, thus allowed to be used in households. Unfortunately, somali women have a tendency of mixing products( eg.jif and maybe ajax) together to make the place sparkling clean and theres where the problems occur. Cases of pulmonary injury have even been reported. What is needed is ppl to follow the instructions properly. Spread the product on the surface and get away from that area for a while instead of scrubbing it in and inhaling the pungent smell.

^^^ Thanks SisSade, I knew there was something I was forgetting to mention. THe worst one is Vim (the oven cleaner). That product is so strong, if you stay in the kitchen for a long period of time ...it gets hard to breathe, and your nose and throat start to itch and get sore (Personal Experience). Another thing is that most of these kitchen products dont have child safe caps on and people place it under the sink usually. Its very accessible to kids and very easy to open with ur thumb in an upward motion against the cap.

HAIR RELAXER

What are the long term affects of hair relaxers on the hair and scalp? I had a friend who recently put it on for a wedding and after about 10 minutes her scalp started to itch and burn. THey rushed her to the bathroom to wash it off and they could literally see small clumps of her hair falling down the drain. She ended up with small bald spots on the back of her head.

Some people, I dont know for what reason (probably moneywise) buy the hair relaxer and ask friends and family to put it on for them. These people are not professionals and dont know the type of you hair, and how long its recommended for it to stay on, and whether or not you really need it. Not handling it properly with care can cause serious damage.

Ghetto_Diva:

Thanks. Ill look forward to your posts.

OG_Girl   

Waaw, Good reading.

Thanks sister, I am crazy about bleach...My mom likes to smell bleach when ever we are cleaning bathrooms or kitchen! some times I can't breath because of that strong smell.

I will tell her this aint healthy smile.gif

Salam

^^^ IT really isnt. MY mom almost passed out because of that strong smell. She was helping a friend for spring cleaning and she was assigned to the bathroom. THe bathroom had no windows ( i dont know why) and since the woman's husband was there my mom closed the door. So NO windows and the door was closed; she stared splashing bleach on the tub, sink, and floor to clean. Well the only safety precaution she took was to put a piece of cloth against her mouth and noise. The fumes were so strong, and had no place to go...she got lightheaded and almost passed out. MOst people dont realize how serious it is. Thats an extreme example but it happens.

MD   

Salam Aleykum

Thanks for the info

I really hate the smell of bleach, I always open the doors and windows before I start using those strong products. The sad part is, Not a lot of people know how dangerous these prodcuts are.

Mercury Poisoning

These skin–whitening creams contain mercurous chloride, which is readily absorbed through the skin. Saudi, African, and Asian women were also using these skin–bleaching chemicals in a tragic attempt to change their appearance to that of white women.

Mercury poisoning is known to cause neurological and kidney damage and may also lead to psychiatric disorders.

In other parts of Africa, including Nigeria and Kenya, one finds widespread mercury poisoning from the use of skin–lightening creams and soaps.

While one might accept skin–bleaching among adults as an unfortunate matter of personal choice, albeit an ignorant one, the use of such skin–lightening creams on children is unconscionable. The developing nervous system of children is particularly vulnerable to toxic mercury exposure and other vital organs are also susceptible. In one medical report, a 3–month–old patient was found to have kidney, eye and blood disease because the mother had used mercury–containing cosmetics during pregnancy and later during breast–feeding.

THAT IS REALLY REALLY SCARY

HAIR RELAXERS: EFFECTS

Sodium Hydroxide is the strongest type of principal chemical used in some chemical relaxers because it provides the most long lasting and dramatic effects. However, this same sodium hydroxide is found in drain cleaners which well demonstrates the strength of this chemical. It is what is used in products that are referred to as “lye†relaxers. The strength varies from a ph factor of 10 to 14. With higher ph, the faster the straightening solution will take hold, but the more potential the damage.

Hair breakage, hair thinning, lack of hair growth, scalp irritation, scalp damage, hair loss. These are just some of the complaints from many who experience problems due to the misuse of chemical hair relaxers

If newly chemically straightened hair is not given special treatment it can become brittle, dry, damaged and break. Relaxed hair will tend to be drier and break easily.

Other points we need to touch on are:

- Asthma: A lot of somali children and youth are affected by it. I had it when I was younger, and ALhamudillah it got better and its gone now.

- And I dont know the english term for San Boor . I think thats how its pronounced. SOmething to do with the nasal passage and I noticed that a lot of older people complain about it.

Nice topic Dams. sis..

About bleaching creams and girlz beuty sheikh mohamed rashaad was talking about that topic in one of his muxaadaro in the last years mutamar in Sweden, it was kinda sad and scary when i really watched that video..

poor girlz using those dangerouse products.

Education is the only kee to solve such problems, think of the consequences of the product before using it( well u can`t do that if u don`t know much about the product=> Educate ur self)

salaam

NinBrown   

Excellent topic...but these problems Dimsel has highlited are the tip of the iceberg or least to worry about.

Since I have been working in obs&gynae(womens health) in a hospital with a large number of Somali women...I have noticed that we have numerous problems that can be easily solved if it talked about...specially puperty/developmental issues and sexual health in both females and males.

Commonest infections such as chalymidia...very easy to treat..but can lead to infertility and long term problems if left(common in girls aged 15-25). these are not discussed and girls dont know the symptoms.

And this Gudniin business is an extra burden which brings greater number of health problems in somali females...this is another issue all together.

Lack of knowledge is another problem....how many somali girls know about womens health issues/how many of the have their smears every 3 years...how many practice safe sex..questions

Womens health education is the way foreward...

Rahima   

And I dont know the english term for San Boor

Hayfever.

About bleaching creams and girlz beuty sheikh mohamed rashaad was talking about that topic in one of his muxaadaro in the last years mutamar in Sweden, it was kinda sad and scary when i really watched that video..

Subxannallah, I also watched this muxaadara in complete shock, especially the part about the constituents of make-up.

Keep them coming girls, very much appreciated smile.gif .

Excellent topic...but these problems Dimsel has highlited are the tip of the iceberg or least to worry about.

I know sis. But we have to start from somewhere, and even then most people dont know much about these areas.

P.S. I dont think there are any health surveys done in the Somali community...so we really dont have any concrete evidence on the problems/issues that are facing our community. We can only discuss the ones we are personally confronted with or hear of.