Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Son of senior Hamas figure an Israeli spy

Son of senior Hamas figure claims to be Israeli informantChristian convert Mosab Hassan Yousef tells newspaper he supplied valuable intelligence to Shin Bet security agency

guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 24 February 2010 12.33 GMT

Article history

The son of a senior Hamas leader, who converted to Christianity and renounced his family's Islamist background, was named by an Israeli newspaper today as Israel's most-valuable informant for more than a decade.

Mosab Hassan Yousef, 32, who moved to the US three years ago, supplied intelligence to Israel's internal security agency, the Shin Bet, that led to the capture of leading Palestinian militants and prevented suicide bombings, said Ha'aretz.

He was known by the Shin Bet as the Green Prince, because of his father's importance. The newspaper said it had spoken to Yousef ahead of the publication of his memoirs next week.

If the account is true, it suggests Israeli intelligence had penetrated Hamas, the Palestinian Islamist movement, to a far greater degree than thought.

Yousef has led a life distinctly unusual for the son of a Hamas official. A decade ago he converted to Christianity, at first keeping the news secret from his family, and it is not clear how closely he was ever involved in the Hamas organisation. In 2007, he moved to California and took the name Joseph.

He is the son of Sheikh Hassan Yousef, a senior Hamas figure from the occupied West Bank who was a Palestinian MP and is now in an Israeli jail serving a six-year term. Yousef junior supplied intelligence to the Shin Bet during the height of the second intifada, the Palestinian uprising that began in late 2000, and according to Ha'aretz his information led to the arrest of two senior Hamas figures, Ibrahim Hamid and Abdullah Barghouti, as well as the influential Fatah leader Marwan Barghouti.

He was turned by Israeli agents in 1996 when he spent a year in an Israeli jail. From the moment he was released the following year he began providing information to the Shin Bet, the paper said.

It reported Yousef as saying he was ready to help the Israeli military free Gilad Shalit, the Israeli soldier captured in 2006 by Gazan militants and who is now being held by Hamas. "I wish I were in Gaza now," Yousef was quoted as saying. "I would put on an army uniform and join Israel's special forces to liberate Gilad Shalit. If I were there, I could help. We wasted so many years with investigations and arrests to capture the very terrorists that they now want to release in return for Shalit. That must not be done."

In the interview he speaks openly of his criticisms of Hamas. "Hamas cannot make peace with the Israelis. That is against what their god tells them. It is impossible to make peace with infidels, only a ceasefire, and no one knows that better than I. The Hamas leadership is responsible for the killing of Palestinians, not Israelis."

In his book, Yousef names his Israeli handler as Captain Loai.

The handler, who was not fully identified, was quoted by Ha'aretz as confirming Yousef's account.

"So many people owe him their life and don't even know it," he said. "He did things he believed in. He wanted to save lives. His grasp of intelligence matters was just as good as ours – the ideas, the insights."

Printable version Send to a friend Share Clip Contact us larger | smaller EmailClose Recipient's email address Your first name Your surname Add a note (optional)

He was turned by Israeli agents in 1996 when he spent a year in an Israeli jail. From the moment he was released the following year he began providing information to the Shin Bet, the paper said.

What happened in jail that turned him?

Rayyan   

Originally posted by General Duke:

quote: He was turned by Israeli agents in 1996 when he spent a year in an Israeli jail. From the moment he was released the following year he began providing information to the Shin Bet, the paper said.

What happened in jail that turned him?
Duke, probably he cracked up under the Chinese water tourcher, dis-honouring and abuse, a year is too much in Israeli torching cell, probably they raped him, to convert to Christianity, like they respect Christianity, the most abused lands are the oldest and most original Christian holy sites, the birth place of Prophet Ciisa (CS) its full scale pychological warfare, the dogs are leashed on hamas, could be a fictional and taunting propaganda.

It doesn't surprise me, as i write this there are at least half a dozen high ranking officials in the Arab world who are working for Israel in one way or another.

you just have to read the news and see the two sentenced to death in Lebanon recently and electroplate it.

At the height of the Israeli Arab war in the 60's, One of Syria's generals was in fact a Spy for Israel.

I don't like what Israel represents in reality today, but you have to admire them. A country with the population of 7.5 million has the entire Arab world of 100 million+ wincing by the balls.

Castro   

Originally posted by Archdemos:

It doesn't surprise me, as i write this there are at least half a dozen high ranking officials in the Arab world who are working for Israel in one way or another.

you just have to read the news and see the two sentenced to death in Lebanon recently and electroplate it.

At the height of the Israeli Arab war in the 60's, One of Syria's generals was in fact a Spy for Israel.

I don't like what Israel represents in reality today, but you have to admire them. A country with the population of 7.5 million has the entire Arab world of 100 million+ wincing by the balls.

Don't worry, in the next few days, the Dubai police force will neutralize and disarm Israel. :D

Ibtisam   

^^ :D

I heard they brainwashed him and he did not even remember anything of his past life as a Muslim. :confused:

Don't know what use he would've been in recent times, since his father is in jail and his family know he changed religion and Hamas locked him out long time ago. Maybe names and places but nothing recent.

Money talks all languages and religions it would seem.

Khayr   

This is the perfect 'intelligencia' leak/lead to newspapers to run. It is a distraction from the mess that israeli assassins made.

This is where they are really good at - Propaganda

War is DECEPTION

It is propoganda, the fact that they credit him with the arrest of Marwan Bourgouti is utter bull, they knew where he was as he was not in hiding. The rest is not believable.

Abtigiis   

Originally posted by Archdemos:

This statement is false. Israel without the US and the entire western world will not last a day against Arabs.

second, over-dramatising the reach of isreal is the part of the mental warfare. I have grown with it since the very days i started reading espoinage fictions. many israeli's also provide intelligence to Hamas and Palestinians, but the latter do not have the same capabililty to act against Israel.

Arcedemos must be a young credulous fella.

Abtigiis   

Originally posted by General Duke:

In his book, Yousef names his Israeli handler as Captain Loai.

The handler, who was not fully identified, was quoted by Ha'aretz as confirming Yousef's account.

"So many people owe him their life and don't even know it," he said. "He did things he believed in. He wanted to save lives. His grasp of intelligence matters was just as good as ours – the ideas, the insights."

Could his handler be his deflowerer too? Way iska cadahay in ninkan la farsameeyey at the jail.

The son of a Muslim born leader converted to christianity. He was recruited by the enemy to spy on his people. Why is that so hard to believe when the choices are limited for palestinians? Or is it because you didn't want anyone living the life of exile unless they are not Somalis?

Either have a respectable profession and maintain some dignity while securing your safety(starting fresh somewhere in the world and have opportunity to live and have a life and start a family), i.e spying for a fee or strap an explosive jacket on your chest with the instruction of detonating at the target location, which results in the person losing a life and the lives of bystanders(many bystanders, whose life is worth living).

'he was brainwashed" or we heard eedo say he was coerced or worse, raped into crossing over to the enemy border is waxa suuqa xoolaha laga sheekeysto. Deal with the truth and the truth is a hamas leader's son worked for the Israeli intelligence unit and worse, he is not Muslim.

When a Muslim converts to another religion (i.e christianity) its because he was coerced via 'brainwashing', 'torture' but when a christian or someone of another religion converts to Islam, he/she is showered with praises and is said to be full of wisdow and some go as far as calling this new convert a brave soul who beat the odds among non-believers in order to find the right religion.

Inconsistency, irrational reasoning and subversive behaviour is not going to get you anywhere, matter of fact it is doing more harm than good and the self-described policemen of my religion ought to be ashamed of themselves and instead focus on on the home front.

Peacenow   

Originally posted by Abtigiis & Tusbax:

quote:Originally posted by Archdemos:

This statement is false. Israel without the US and the entire western world will not last a day against Arabs.

second, over-dramatising the reach of isreal is the part of the mental warfare. I have grown with it since the very days i started reading espoinage fictions. many israeli's also provide intelligence to Hamas and Palestinians, but the latter do not have the same capabililty to act against Israel.

Arcedemos must be a young credulous fella.
Nonsense.

Israel has brains. It built a industrial country from nothing but hard work and knowledge. They have no oil and natural gas and it is better of today any Arab country. I say that cause, the future belong to those who apply their brain.

Look at the pitiful Saudis they spent so much on defence but they no ability even today of making sense it and building real capability.

I have nothing but admiration for Israel.

LG: If are to take the article assertions as fact. Then the man was turned in jail, and did not just out of love for Zionisam become an Israeli spy.

Peacenow: Israel is supported by the US, which has armed it to the teeth, and by the large jewish Diaspora, its not as successful as some claim. An American millitary outpost is how, Noam Chomsky described it.