Sign in to follow this  
shyhem

The perfectly groomed gentlemen

shyhem   

Whats up the brothers,reading this article won't spoil u'r chances of meeting mizz somali.Not everything applies to a somali man but some parts are exremely helpful especially the checklist at the bottom,u know its not u'r car alone that comes with a checklist,u come with a check list unlike u'r car that has the mechanic doing the check list,u'rs is actually done by the ladies and the more u pass,the more u will become close to been pronounced as my husband by some pretty lady out there. :D

The perfectly groomed gentleman

A no nonsense guide to improving your looks.The days when the majority of men only had a tube of toothpaste, a razor, soap and a comb as their only grooming companions are disappearing - fast. IRENE NJOROGE-WALKER gives tips on how men can keep themselves looking good with the products available.

Most men have remained relatively uninformed about the basics of hair and skin care. This has lead to some of the most common problems experienced by men.

BASIC SKIN CARE FOR MEN

The most common condition suffered by men is that of dry skin. This can be caused by the use of soap, which dries out the skin. To counteract this, and add protection to the dry areas, apply a thin film of a greasy ointment such as Vaseline, or a lighter preparation straight after washing. Also, avoid bathing in water that is too hot. Hot water strips the skin of sebum (natural oil found in skin) and tends to hasten drying. Over exposure to the sun, dry air and the use of drying solvent chemicals should be avoided.

For sufferers of greasy skin, the most practical solution is daily and thorough skin cleansing. You may opt for a cleansing lotion and a toner. These work by stripping your face of oil and grease, leaving the skin clean and tingling with freshness. Alternatively, soap and water will do the job just as well. Wash twice a day or even thrice, depending on how oily your skin is.

SHAVING ADVICE

Bear in mind that hair ends are ragged when shaved using an electric razor and smooth when shaved with a blade. With routine shaving, the blade tends to cut hair closer to the surface and produces an even stubble of growth.

A good shave begins with the most effective beard softener available: Water. Only two minutes of contact with hot water are required for the beard to be fully hydrated. To make the entire job more pleasant, lathering up with shaving cream further hydrates and lubricates the skin, thus making a sharp blade glide over the hairs slicing them smoothly and close to the skin. As to whether or not to use shaving creams, soap, aerosols etc. let your own skin be the best guide. Oily skinned men are better off using a shaving soap worked up to a later using a shaving brush. The soap removes grease from the skin better than creams and aerosol foams.

Ingrown beards plague many men. These sharply pointed hairs re-enter the skin while growing resulting in bumps and scarring of the skin. Some theories contend that it is due to genetics that cause some men to have very coarse hair that makes tight curls. One way to prevent this is to stop shaving and grow a beard if that would be acceptable. The problem is further compounded by shaving upwards and too close because the hair is cut at an angle causing it to grow into a rough edge, which is more likely to catch in the skin and grow inwards. Using a blunt blade causes the hair cut to have a sharp angle due to pressure used while shaving. To counteract this, use a sharp new blade for every shave.

The most effective treatment for this problem involves avoiding the use of straight, safety and electric razors. Opt for chemical hair removers (depilatories). If irritation develops from using depilatories try splashing warm water on face a few minutes after use, then wash thoroughly with soap and follow by an application of a steroid cream.

MENS HAIR CARE

A basic fortnightly hair cut and use of hair tonic once a week is enough to keep most men's hair looking neat. Avoid daily washing, as this dries the scalp, and causes the hair to develop a brownish tint.

GUIDE TO MEN'S GROOMING PRODUCTS

Any man who fancies himself as having a splash of style is bound to have some of the following items in his personal care kit:

Aftershave - Nothing feels better than slapping a freshly shaven smooth face with an after-shave After-shave is a combination of perfume alcohol and anaesthetic. Some of them can be very drying to skin if they contain over 50% alcohol. They keep the user feeling fresh until the fragrance evaporates.

Cologne - Most men have their favourite cologne, which they use depending on the mood they are in. Cologne is slightly stronger than aftershave, and most last all day long.

Pomades - This is used to impart sheen to the hair. It is a solid preparation, which is pleasant smelling.

Hair Tonics - These are very popular, and are light and not greasy. They leave the hair with a light film of oil, giving it sheen. Anti-perspirants - these are made from aluminium sulphate, which is the active ingredient. They work by closing up the sweat pores and reducing the flow of sweat by up to 55%. They reduce odour by killing bacteria if combined with a deodorant.

DAILY CARE CHECKLIST

Before you leave the house everyday check on the following:

Hair - did you comb it? If not why?

Eyes - Are they bloodshot? Use eye drops immediately Eyebrows - Straighten them out.

Skin - Should be neither dry nor oily

Shaving - no nicks please!

Hands - Should not look ashen. Handkerchief - where is it?

Lips - Use a clear lip balm whenever they feel dry

Sweat - Should not go unchecked

Breath - Brush tongue and teeth thoroughly

Clothes - ironed and not recycled

Shoes - polished of course

The author is a beauty consultant and trainer at Personal Care Institute Corner Hse.)

For questions email:personalcare2001@yahoo.com

Site designed and hosted by Nation Media Group. Copyright 2003. Contact

LOOOOOOOOOL, shyhem, u a trip! *laughs hard* I can see this is a Curriculum Vitae for our Somali bro's applying for a date with a sista :D

I'm sure it'll be much obliged...

Just one question: Are all YOUR boxes ticked? :D;)

~*~harmonyangel~*~

shyhem   

harmnoy

Last time i checked,yap...had an A in that dept but i forget when she scheduled me for another appointment.

Nazra   

loooooool, handy tips.

But i have betta plans for my husband. Most of these perfumes and shave cream seem to be carcinogenic(cancer-causing) even ur simple vasline which contains petrolatum is deadly.

As for the face, i would absoultely put some huruud on his face. :D

No soap on the face. Perfumes should always be applied to clothes, since they contain all these deadly chemicals which are easily abosrbed into the skin and spread into the body.

As for the hair, washed regualary with natural shampoo, Body soap from the body shop, also.

As for dry lips, A handy kiss can help. ;)

shyhem   

Harmony

I guess another appointments won't damage my reputation.

Speaking of curriculum vitae or CV as we used called it back then,u remind me of my high school years,up in here they refer CV by another label...."resume".....I say If the americans are not weird pple,than they must be acousin of the devil,pretty much they live on their own terms.

Nasra

Did u say 'Huruud" as in the yellow thing ladies put on their face looOOL,in that case i'm out......brother doesn't like to be mistaken for a gay guy.Everything else u said is pretty much acceptable to me.

lol@Shyhem....

Y'all should have Cosmo 4 Guys.....cuz some dudes really need to hear this.

Whats the next issue? "The perfectly dressed gentlemen"

Ps: guys, you can't go wrong with cologne in the summer !

peace