Sign in to follow this  
Geel_jire

Kindle2

I was given a Kindl2 as a gift last week.

I have been playing with it nonstop since and it is a great device. I've probably read more in the last week then I have in a few months.

of course I have been populating it with free books from project Gutenberg, and other creative license classics and a variety of of free technical literature that I need to use as a reference.

my favorites are:

- The e-ink display which is viewable for almost any angle

- battery life is amazing

- includes wikipedia and a complete dictionary

cons:

- slow connection for Internet browsing

- not so good text-to-speech

has anyone else tried this product out and what do you think ?

Cara.   

I would get it in a heartbeat if e-ink could display in color. A lot of my reading involves comparing a squiggly blue line to a squiggly green line :(

Can you annotate on the Kindle2? Like highlight, underline or write notes in the "margins"?

Cadaan sxb it is an e-book reader

Originally posted by Cara.:

I would get it in a heartbeat if e-ink could display in color. A lot of my reading involves comparing a squiggly blue line to a squiggly green line
:(

Can you annotate on the Kindle2? Like highlight, underline or write notes in the "margins"?

yes you can highlight, bookmark, you can take notes .. it puts a superscript number above the part you took the notes and clicking it takes you to your notes.

another -ve is it doesn't handle pdf natively it does convert it to a different format .. I heard it doesn render graphics, graphs, tables in pdf very well .. but i haven't given it a try yet.

the weird thing for me is the lack of a back light .. which means you cannot read in the dark which is probably why it has such a long battery life.

I haven't seen the Kindle, but I have seen a similar one at a bookstore in my neighborhood. Personally, i wouldn't waste any money on it. No machine could replace holding a real a book in your hands. Wouldn't mind getting one free, but wouldn't pay any money for it either.

Hodman I think you should hold out for the Barnes & Noble "nook" .. I dont know where they get these silly names.

it is a competitor of the kindle will be available early next year for the exact same price as the kindle2 and it has a little more features than the kindle

- color capable e-ink touchscreen

- access to 100,000 works as opposed to kindles current 30,000

- Wifi support this is a huge deal in that you don't have to rely on At&T 3G (whispernet) to download books or browse the internet and it will be much faster.

it also shares some attributes with the kindle

- 1 week battery life with wireless and 2 weeks without wireless

- 2GB storage limit (this is a very big restriction but it appears all e-readers on the market have this limit at the moment)

given that the "nook" is the first iteration of B&N's reader they are probably going to have a few usability kinks to iron out ... just like the kindle2 fixed many complaints people had about the kindle1

The "nook" certainly has a more impressive spec sheet than the kindle