Sign in to follow this  
Complicated

Freed Somali pirates 'died' or MURDERED?

The alleged deaths of a group of Somali pirates who were set free after hijacking a Russian tanker near the Gulf of Aden have sparked heated debate in the Russian media.

Ten pirates were captured and one killed in an operation on May 6 to free the Moscow University tanker, captured on May 5.

A top-ranking source in Russia's Defense Ministry said on Tuesday the pirates had been disarmed and set adrift in a rubber boat without navigation equipment. The Russian military concluded that the hijackers perished as their boat disappeared from radars an hour after they were released.

Editor-in-chief of the Maritime Bulletin magazine Mikhail Voitenko told Russian daily Gazeta the pirates had obviously been "killed."

"When they [the military officials] realized there would be difficulties, they invented the story about the release. And now, to bring the story to a close, they added this information about the pirates perishing at sea," Gazeta quoted Voitentko as saying.

"If they did perish at sea, that would also be murder, just in a more sophisticated form," he said, adding that fighting pirates off the Somali coast has become a kind of "safari" for the military, "with zero danger and the chance of rewards and glory."

According to the Defense Ministry source, the Russian military officials were forced to release the pirates as there is no international legal base to carry out prosecution procedures against hijackers and the nationality of the detained pirates was not allowed to be revealed.

Russian daily Nezavisimay Gazeta said the story left many unanswered questions, especially surrounding the repercussions of the incident.

"It is known that so far pirates have been trying to leave captured sailors alive. Now, it cannot be ruled out that they will take harsher and, God forbid, crueler action, especially if there are Russians among the crew of captured vessels," the paper said.

It added that many Somali pirates will be aware of the fact that the Russians knew the pirates would perish after being sent adrift in a rubber boat without navigation equipment and other pirates are likely to try to avenge the deaths of their comrades.

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev pledged last week to punish pirates who take vessels hostage off the Somali coast "with the full force of maritime law."

Until a legal system allowing hijackers to be punished is created, "we will have to act as our forefathers did when they met pirates," he said.

MOSCOW, May 12 (RIA Novosti)

BiLaaL   

They were definitely murdered. Somali blood has become so cheap. Regardless of the circumstances, ten of our fellow countrymen have been murdered in cold blood. The TFG authorized these illegal naval missions in our seas, why haven't they responded to these murders by the Russian navy? Pirates or not, these are Somali nationals! Our brothers. Voitentko is right. These naval missions have turned into killing Safaris with no accountability. How painful!

Cawaale   

^of course they were murdered.

They were sent without navigation equipment, 300 nautical miles off the coast. What do you think?

I say let us reverse the scenario, and make them test their own medication and wait for them to respond. if those pirates would listen to me i'd certainly tell them to do the same with everybody they capture and keep the shipments, thou the companies care only for they shipment any ways!

BOB   

it's the price you pay when you choose chaos over stability.

The Pirates have scores to settle against the three most 'powerful' nations in the world today...France, US and now Russia.

Peace, Love & Unity.

who-me   

Point blank they shot em and dumped their bodies in the ocean. This is just a side story they prepared for the media to cover up the truth.

Ismahaan   

There are alternatives but I am pretty sure they executed the 10 pirates. Poor Somali People --May Allah (swt) have mercy on them.

Ruush in uu axsaan lahayn waala ogaayee, laakiin kan Soomaaliga sheeganaayo, haddana danjiraha Ruushka u fadhiya Soomaaliya sii sheeganaayo igu daran suu u hadlay:

"And Somalia's ambassador to Moscow, Mohammed Handule, said, "
Not one Somali or the government of our country sees Russia as being guilty in this. The Russian military showed they can act effectively so that not one crew member of the captured tanker was hurt
."

Ma Ruushaa, asagaaba Ruushkii waxa xasuuqay -- and I believe they did xasuuq -- sii amaanaayo and trying to care about Russian lives than Soomaalida.

In uu saas u hadlo hungurinimo u geyneyso. Yaab badnaa. Haddee cabsi ka tahayna hab diblomaasi loo hadlaa, which he should have known since danjirenimo sheeganaayo.

N.O.R.F   

I had a feeling this would happen as soon as I heard news of the Russians going in to save their compatriots.

Ilaahay ha u naxaristo.