Sign in to follow this  
Paragon

Cultural lession: Jaan Dheer

Paragon   

If you already know about Saar, Dhaanto, Gaaleeys (Balaqleey played by camel herders), Diisoow (played cattle keepers), Walasaqo and etc... you would find Jaandheer to be in similar league. There is also Seylici which I am not familiar with.

Here is Jaandheer for you who haven't had the opportunity to experience these cultural dances first hand :D .

Paragon   

Lol, the preffered name is Gaaleeyso..

Both the Gaaleeyso and Diisoow are dances in which the menfolk, ornamented with long double-edged Abley of traditional knifes, line up in a semi-circle while the players, consisting of 7 to 9, begin dance towards inside the semi-circle of men stomping the group rthmically. They raise their Baakoor in the hair and coordinate their steps and clapping to produce mesmorizing percussion-like sounds.

There is a beautifully sung chorus which guides the stomping of the feets. Occassionally, women join in (camel ladies- the most fiesty ones) the chorus singing and the dancing itself. This amuses the men who carry on laughing while they dance. The words of the song could be as follow;

'Hobow, hoobaalle, how-baallow,

Hadday bil-billaabaneysaaye,

anaa baabkeeda lay baraye,

Hadday 'balaqley' u ektahaye!

Thats how, Ms Dhucdhuc smile.gif

RedSea   

Paragon.loool

Shay mire dacar waa xuusaan yar eh. Marka uu awr geela fuushan yey ayaa ugu qosol badan, in aanu waligii fuulan waa lagaranaya.loool

Ma reer Sanag ayad tahay saaxib?

Very interesting stuff...

As children, where i grew up, we used to watch kabeebey and luumbi. I also heard about miyyi night clubs where dhaanto and other dances are performed...but this one is totally a different animal!

I always liked the Jaandheer. When it is done really well it is impressive to watch. I remember seeing another video sometime ago, but these guys are experts.

Cheers for the clip Paragon.

Hunguri   

Nomadique, I think some where in Sanaag region :D . Sanaag produced lots of that stuff.

(1)Hanna Haybsan (for men)

(2)Jaandheer (dual)

(3)Hadaganay (for Women)

(4)Hubsan Doontide or Heelo (for men )

(5)Shirbe (dual)

(6)Hoo labay (hoo 2bay) ama ( hoo laboy) (dual)

(7)Hayyo Hayyo (for women)

There are lots of, that I dont remember. However, the Galbeed region produced lots of stuff too.

(1) Saylici

(2)Dhaanto

And, many that I dont remember !

Haneefah   

^Saylici originates from the Galbeed :confused: How is it done exactly?

Never heard of this Jaandheer before, but you gotta love the swirling action combined with the white attire. Could it be the remnant of Sufi influences on the East perhaps?

'Hobow, hoobaalle, how-baallow,

Hadday bil-billaabaneysaaye,

anaa baabkeeda lay baraye,

Hadday 'balaqley' u ektahaye!

This is called gaaleeys or balaqleys? You serious? I have recognized the chorus but never knew what the actual dance was called. How interesting. I was first exposed to this beautiful dance at my brother's wedding where the reer wuqooyi half of the family organized this dance...it sure involved lots of jumping (which I enjoyed), and the tune certainly complements the movements very well. Now I finally know the name of that dance. :cool:

Btw, do the women use umbrellas for this dance also or is it for another one?

I stand corrected Hunguri.

There are many lovely dances throughout Somalia. I believe the guy who put up the clip of the Jandheer will soon put one up of some sword dance from Djibouti. That should be interesting.

I think I may have to have a talk with my dad. He is an expert on all these matters.