Sign in to follow this  
Gabbal

First Black Soccer Player for Italy is Somali.

Gabbal   

_1910556_liverani150.jpg

Liverani's race against time

Fabio Liverani is an outside possibility to be named in Giovanni Trapattoni's squad for Japan and Korea after an inconsistent season with Lazio.

But it would be foolish to write off this remarkable 27-year-old midfielder.

He has come much too far to give up on a World Cup place without a struggle.

Indeed, while for any player to be named in a finals squad is a very special honour, Liverani is motivated by the knowledge that his own selection for Italy would carry a far wider significance.

On 25 April, 2001, the playmaker of Somalian descent made history when he became the first black Italian to play for his country, in a friendly against South Africa.

Now he is desperate to go one step further by becoming the first black player to be included in an Italian World Cup squad.

Selection would certainly cap a remarkable journey for Liverani.

Not only did he make his ground-breaking Italy debut just months after signing for Perugia from Serie C side Viterbese, but he has had to fight prejudice every step of the way.

Mercilessly taunted as a kid, he has had to suffer the vilest abuse imaginable from the terraces.

Yet his talent has been his greatest weapon in the fight for acceptance.

Liverani's deft touches, pin-point passing and tactical awareness had him earmarked for a spot in coach Trapattoni's World Cup squad last summer.

His performance on his Italy debut in place of an injured Francesco Totti suggested a seat on the plane for Japan and Korea was his for the taking.

Instead, after a difficult first season at his new club Lazio, Liverani is desperate to impress ahead of the 21 May deadline for World Cup squad confirmation.

"I have to admit that I cried when I got called up for the first time by Giovanni Trapattoni," Liverani told BBC Sport Online.

"I just hope people will not think of me as the first black player in the Italian team, but as an important player."

While the colour of his skin has clearly not been an obstacle to success, Liverani has been forced to overcome racist abuse in Serie A's grounds during his battle to reach the top.

Last season, while at Perugia in an away match at Reggina, he met the worst face of Italian football.

"A lot of people were insulting me," he said. "I remember all the time how I used to return home crying when I was a kid.

"Then I entered the adult world and still there were people shouting at me. I simply ignore them and play my best.

"That day wasn't the first time it happened and it probably won't be the last."

Liverani's success at Perugia led to a move to Lazio in September last year and he again showed his strength of character by silencing a notoriously racist element of the Biancoceleste support.

Striking the only goal of the game in November against Juventus also helped.

But, with Lazio lurching from crisis to crisis this season, Liverani's place in the side is no longer guaranteed.

Now he faces a battle to force his way back into coach Trapattoni's plans.

Given the obstacles he has already overcome in his rise to the top, one final hurdle may not yet be beyond him.

WILDCAT   

I didn't realise Italians were so racist (the ones I've met in this country have been majorly open-minded and friendly, but I suppose football suppporters are a breed of their own). They sound far more backward then the english. I can't even begin to count how many black players there have been on the English international squad.

Viking   

Liverani has improveda lot, he's one of Lazio's best players this season. Too bad he plays for the most racist team in Italy, a team whose fascist supporters carry Mussollini and Hitler's name and image on banners.

I would say that it would be an unfair generalization to call italians more racisit than the english.

Italy doesnt have such a diverse population as Uk, and london, and this is reflected througt it's society right through to their facisit leader Mr.Berlosconi. Its football culture however is very refreashing, in my opnion. After all are Perugia are the one who brought Hedotoshi Nakata from Japan after the world cup, and Shinsuku Nakumura followed to reggina 2 seasons ago.

Fabio Liverani's selection into the national team after just 1 and half years of top flight football says alot about the italian FA, the same cannot be said about their dibious english counterpart who have, over the years over looked many outstanding established black players for no justifiable reasons

BN   

Salaams,

"Fabio Liverani"? Maybe you should ask this guy if he considers himself Somali or Muslim.

This is what I fear if we all stay in these foreign lands for too long. We will lose our identity, culture, language, and most imporantly religion. Allah, save us from this fate.

Ma'salaam

BOB   

Salaam All...

Fabio Liverani is half Somali..his Mom is Somali and his Dad is Italian..Hence his Italian Name..

imagine a Maryooleey from Somalia telling you his name is..John Faarax..Micheal Samatar...Lucy Jaamac...Peter Geedi...Susan Warsame and i am afraid those are the sort of names we are going to hear in future..Allahuma Najinaa.

Peace,Love & Unity.

N.O.R.F   

He still plays for Lazio and is still playing well. But i think other players such as Totti and Pirlo will keep him out of the World Cup team. He may make the squad, if he does, well done i say.

SoMa_InC   

^^^Can you please elaborate on that? If he is half-Somali and half-Italian, why will you consider him to be Italian? And as far as the Italians are concerned, he is Somali.