Sign in to follow this  
Reality Check

The term ABEED used by arabs

Originally posted by Jacaylbaro:

Are you defending Arabs ???

For using that word? No. But I know enough Arabic to make their heart stop if they dare to call me that within earshot of me. Just because they use it, doesn't mean they don't know it's wrong. ALL cultures are guilty of this kind of behaviour.

Haddad   

Originally posted by Devil's Advocate:

The term ABEED used by arabs

It's true some Arabs (including Somalis) use it, but only secularists & nationalists do it. Islamists can't even imagine using it. What fosters the term is secularism & nationalism.

nafta   

First off, Somali's often don't consider themselves as African, and to my knowledge we were never slaves (except to eachother, having a boyeeso in the household).

So why would we get offended by the term "Abeed"? Haven't we got our own terms such as "Jareer" and "Addoon"?

Haddad   

Originally posted by nafta:

and to my knowledge we were never slaves

Somalis were slaves during the colonial times. At the least, there was forced labor among other modes of slavery.

Kashafa   

LOL. It's that time of the year, huh. Open season on everything Arab. Why do I get the feeling that the word "Tarxeel" means something special to some posters. Bitter, Bitter smile.gif xaaax, xaaax

Let's get off the high horses, shall we.

Qayli-wayne(Egyptians), Jareer, Adoon, Xabash, Futa-madow, Naas-wayne(Cubans, your people Fidel), not to mention the so-called "others"

^^ Gimme a break. We got a epithet or a racial slur for anything on two legs. If there isn't one handy, we make it up on the spot. The Somali and his infamous superiorty complex.

And overall I'm not a fan of Arabs. What can you expect from a people where men are feminem (check the clothes and the kiss greeting) and their women masculine (check the facial hair).

Animal Farm,

Say what you will about the men. But the Senoritas(especially Gulf area) are beauty incarnate. Only a dedicated 'hater would deny that.

Jacpher   

Originally posted by nafta:

So why would we get offended by the term "Abeed"? Haven't we got our own terms such as "Jareer" and "Addoon"?

I don’t know about you but I think most people will get offended if not get physical.

Abeed & Jareer don’t have the same meaning and not used in the same manner, at least in my dictionary. Abeed means slave while Jareer refers to a physical appearance. We mostly use Jareer for describing a person not putting them down. and I am not in any way supporting the use of these words. I stand corrected.

I think nomads don't use these terms as often as Arabs use.

Kashafa   

^^ With all due respect sxb, almost all of what you said qualifies as B.S.

The word Jareer and Adoon are clearly meant to put down Somalis of Bantu descent. It's no different than "Nigger" or "Spic". A vile racial slur.

And nomads use both words in everyday speech. An Arab would have to be fighting you to call you an Abd. It just doesn't roll off his tongue that quick.

Castro   

Originally posted by Kashafa:

Naas-wayne(Cubans, your people Fidel)

Kashafa, if it were "naas-wayne", Cubans would be delighted for it would mean big boobs. A term of endearment. The actual phrase used was "cadho (candho?) dheer". A disgusting term in my opinion. Ours is a case of the pot calling the kettle black. We call everyone by a derogatory name, as you mentioned, yet we can't take the heat. Those who live in glass houses.....

Subxanal Laah OG-Gal, my dear sister forgive for the sake of allah but don't forget.

Your story just reminded me of a Harlem renaissance poet "Countee Cullen's Poem"

Once riding in old baltimore,

Heart-filled, head-filled with glee,

I saw a Baltimorean

Keep looking straight at me.

Now I was eight and very small,

And he was no whit bigger,

And so I smiled, but he pocked out

His tongue, and called me "nigger"

I saw the whole of Baltimore

From May until December

Of all the things that happened there

That's all that I remember.

This poem perfectly encapsulates the horror that that apithet connoted; it was shorthand for whites and arabs denail of black humanity.

bilan   

i am not here to defend the term abiid,and i am sure those who are using that term to describe a black person would not like themselves to be called "sand N" here in america, and funny thing is more than 50% of gulf people could pass as blacks in usa, anyway those somalis who said that we(somalis)do not use those terms to describe someone with nappy hair and wide nose,you are either very innocent and never lived in somalia,or you're trying to deny the facts. just talk to any bantu-somali to find out how these people are humiliated just because they happen to have different hair texture. this woman was tellin me when they first settled in small village near the border of kenya she said every single time that she or her kids go outside people will shout at them from the coffee shops yelling look at the ADOONS, and how their hair looks like. i am not saying we should accept people calling names at us or anyone else,but i donot think we should dedicate a whole topic,atleast not as long as we are guilty of the same crime. you cannot be criminal and judge another criminal.

Castro   

Originally posted by Haddad:

It's true some Arabs (including Somalis) use it, but only secularists & nationalists do it. Islamists can't even imagine using it. What fosters the term is secularism & nationalism.

Xaddado, saxiib waxaad u dig iyo damlaynaysa inaan bud wayn kula dhaco! Don't make me do it dude.

Haddad   

Originally posted by OG_Girl:

In Iraq, Syria, Jordan treat Somalis with respect and don't use word abd! How do you say 'ARABS' use world ABEED!Just be specific, where people use that word. Arabs are over 300 millions people some are Muslims others are not.

I am curious; have you ever met a conservative (متدين) Arab Muslim using the term?

Og_Girl, that's quite a story there. Lool reminds of the time when I was trying to buy a train ticket in London and the guy behind the counter was being a little awkward. He was being awkward cause he liked the look fo me though I didn't know it initially. I was in a damn hurry and had to be somewhere in 5 minutes(running) and he was grilling me because I hadn't bought my ticket at the destination where I had started the journey(the ticket office there was closed).

Anyway, I'm trying to be patient when he asks me where I think he's from. Now I know a Sri Lankan when I see one. I say Sri Lanka. He is so shocked that I 'guess' correctly. His expression now softens and he starts to look like.. I don't know, girls know the look. Now I really wanna run.

So he asks me where I'm from. I say I'm Somali. He nearly vomits. His face turns into thunder. He's disgusted he was trying it on with me. He goes on about how awful Somalis are and how he can't believe I could be one. He was lucky there was a glass screen between us. I actaully manage the usual spiel about how all people are not the same and if he had bad experiences with some Somalis..blah, blah, all the while my blood is on the boil.

I find it amusing that Somalis think they're God's gift to humanity: they're good looking(cause they don't look 'African'), they're not Arab(though many will have Arab blood), they're not white(black is beautiful), they're not kafirs(Islam!Islam!Islam). All this justifies having a string of names for other peoples and still they have the audacity to shout foul when dissed.