Sign in to follow this  
dawoco

Do you remember how it was done?

dawoco   

I have so many good memories of Somalia, like the way parents brought bun iyo cambuulo with lots of sokor iyo saliid evey time a child reached jus-camma.

The way all neighbours would come to sit just outside their gate on a dalin when the electricity went out...telling stories to children under the moon light...The way everyone knew each other and all children grew up togheter.

And then there are the fights....the meetings that took place in luuqs when ever a minor disagreement arose. The way mothers would know by dinner time what their willful children have been up to, after having a visit from the next door gossip monger...

Ciid is coming up, and it is around this time that a sense of melancholy sets in.

Remember picking outfits for ciid 2 weeks before? Putting on henna the night before and checking with feynuus to see if it had turned bright red. Begging your mother to lend you a bit of catar, after some1 says it will make it brighter...

And then...It's ciid. You get visits from uncles and aunties who seem as excited as their children. Gifts from parents who also are captured within the joyous mood...Ahh to have it all back.

Comparing all that with the way it's celebrated now is a bit futile. The most exciting thing that people do now is to go to a ruwaayad of an artist they have seen many times, or wander around trafalgar square...How depressing!

How many of you can capture the excitement of ciid in these foreign countries? How do you do it?

Xafsa   

I for one will have to get up....pray..go to school and then to work. Exciting isn't it? :( :mad:

Ciid in somalia was real...it captured the essence of that day...ooh how I miss it. The call to ciid prayer early in the morining....

Xafsa   

It never occured to me to buy a new outfit.......I should huh? I think I'll treat myself. But when exactly is ciid?

Mowgli   

Asalaama Alaikum

Dacawo sis, unfortunately I do not have memories like yours of Somalia, as I was only there for a short time...although I do remember one Ciid, where eeriga aa la qalaye (lol I must say it was a very traumatic ciid has I was very small and I could see the insides of the eeri…I can remember the lights going out as well…and the baranbaro :rolleyes: lol).

But for me, Ciid is my favourite time of year. Some aunties stay over the night (with my little cousins), and iilaan is put on. The day of Ciid, after going for Ciid prayers, we get ready to make a huge meal, where all the family comes over (lol there is usually no place to stand on ciid day in my house, upstairs or downstairs). The house is filled with laughter and screaming kids, all dressed with their new clothes and talking excitedly about their new presents and clothes. Aunties, uncles, ayeeyo’s, awoowe’s, cousins and nieces and nephews come over and we eat the feast hooyo and habaryal have made. Then we talk and catch up with each other (as for some, it is the only day we get to see each as some live outside of London). After that, the kids are taken out (a place of their choice), and it gives hooyo and habaryaral a chance to rest and enjoy a couple hours of peace and quiet. By the time, we come back from bringing back the kids, lol (older cousins and my sister and I are usually exhausted; this year they want to go to the aquarium…imagine taking 13 kids all under 10years old :eek: ), it is time for xalwo and the other mac macaan. For my family and I, ciid is about spending time with the family. EVERYONE IS HAPPY, even walking down the streets people are smiling and saying “Asalaama Alaikum, Ciid Mubarak”.

Except this year, I think we’ll have to take the kids out the day after ciid…everyone is happy staying at home because you get to see family you haven’t seen for a while. This year, Insha Allah, ciid will be better then before as my mum’s sisters are coming from other parts of Europe so we can spend Ciid together :D

It is all about how you make your Ciid day...personally, am happy staying at home and catching up with my family am getting all excited just thinking about it!

Flying lol since I live outside of London, am planning on taking (if ciid falls on Tuesday) Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off, and just come back to uni on Monday morning or Sunday night...I refuse to go to school, that means I have to prepare all my assignments now that are due in on the last week of Novemeber so I can spend time with my family...live a little sis, just call in a sicke for work ;)

Ma'Salaama

Sophist   

Are you kidding me? you are taking all that time off of Unive! you must have very adorable profs. I myself will go to London on Monday night (24 of this month for some dinner organised by Slaughter and May firm) and I hope eid falls on Tuesday so I can stay tuesday there and come back on wensday and try to make the first lecture on Tort in 10pm.

That is what left of eid Walahi. ciideey waan kuweynee, war manoo hetsidoo!!!

Sophist

Oh yes...of course I remember the anticipation and excitement of ciid back home. Sadly, I have completely lost all that childhood enthusiasm since...and I'm not sure how to recapture it either. :(

Macalin   

LOL..waraa i had this in mind this wknd

Forget the clothes...WHO misses the FIRIMBI and FAKE BASTOOLA????,,huh?

and CAQAL CIID?(bakhshiish!)..damn i need to get some firimbi this CIID

funny thing,after ciid is over...FIRIMBIGoo DHAN WAA LA WAYNAA!!!..intee GALEN car sheeg adiga

Sophist   

Firimbi iyo dharka askarta nooh! maxusuusataa duqa? that was then, now for the American boys it is all about what kind of Truck one rents smile.gif

Firinbiyaasha meesha ey aadeen makaseysid miyaah? waxaa jiri jirey firmbin fairy! kuwaas aa gurubsan jirey nooh:)

dawoco   

never mind the frimbi, what about the jeebo that was used by annoying little children (i must confess i was one of them :D )

My fave auntie would always buy me the whole shenanigan, and it wasn't the frimbi that was lost, but rather the key that came with the jeebo....i think that is enough information for today.... icon_razz.gif

Yes I remember being all exited the night before eid not being able to go bed and waking up about three times in the night hoping it was time to get dressed.

I have a test on eid day and to be honest these days eid has become just another day nothing much to look forward to. :mad:

Gediid   

Lemme see if anyone can beat this.Ciid for me this year will be infront of a judge in court for a reckless driving ticket I got a few weeks back.....Allow sahal aamuuraha.

Xafsa   

^^^^ Bisinka. Allah kuu sahlo walaal.

I had one of those this summer...they said I hit and ran over a guy on a motorcycle. But alxamdulilaah I wasn't found at fault. Gediid waa luguu duceeynaa insha alaah.

I will be in school on Eid day...Turning in papers n attending classes....Nothing special.

I do have good memories of Eid in Xamar though my last eid there was traumitic.