Sign in to follow this  
checkmate

Somali Jews

Originally posted by Aeryn Sun:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Miss Sun, why are you just rolling your eyes instead of adding your two cents to the topic!? We are just educating ourseleves here, nothing else; so dont go deleting the post, :D !

^^ Interesting article, thanx Maansoor.

Q,

I was rolling my eyes at XISBI's apparent shock at discovering the existence of the yibir people. Give the 'lil guy a big cigar. He deserves it for finally opening his eyes. :rolleyes:

PS: I dont have the power to delete anything on this forum, so rest easy. ;)

OG_Girl   

There are Somali Jews, Christians, Buddhists, and perhaps even Athiests (I have met one myself). So what?

That what I was wondering too ... my best friends r Somali Athiests and so what??.

I don't know but there is some people trying to lebel somalis as ONE .. we r not ONE. We r different just learn how to be different and eccept others for who they are .. no need for anger.they can be somali by Ethnic and be what they want Moslim or not or whatever..Also they can be somali NOT by Ethnic but by living in that place called Somalia for so long so they adopted the language , culture, religion..etc.

Late dictator tried so hard to put us in one container and u see what happened!!!... that stereotyping.."somalis r homegeneious, share one language, culture , one future, one religion..bla bla".. then tell me for God's sake what went wrong and why they killing each other?!!! that cassete over use it and abuse it.

It's time to relize we r different and live with our differences ..don't force people what u believe, let them live the way they believe or want.

Ooops... i just fed up from discrimanating people coz their background or their believes not crime they committed. Being NOT moslim not a crime u should be punished or take away ur citizenship as somali.

Salam

Xisbi

neva heard of these guys (ZIGWA)

They are a tribe from Tanga we call them Wazigwa, my Abo told me their story. They were tricked by the Arabs as in they were going to be sent to fertile lands and took to sea. They were dropped off in Somalia and were never brought back. redface.gif

the website u gav sidasis for the somalibantu didn't work for me

Surprisingly it doesnt work for me either. :confused:

This is the Link I searched through google.

http://www.google.com.tr/search?hl=tr&ie=UTF-8&q=wazigwa&btnG=Arama&meta=

Click on the first article written INTRODUCTION.Its 58 Kb article. It will open to the link I had provided earlier.(which works :mad: )(http://www.somalibantu.com/Hist_Sombantu1.htm)And this will appear:

Report Prepared By: OMAR A. ENO

Subject:The Fifth Congress For Somali Studies In Boston

Title: The Untold Apartheid In Somalia Imposed on Somali Bantu/Jareer People.

^^^^Regarding the Yibir and the Bantus what happened to them was quite inhumane.What a shame :( . Hope we can learn from the mistakes and keep it in the past,and adopt acceptance of diversity to change the future.

Jumatatu   
Wazigwa : I think they are locally known in Somalia as Mushunguli(if am not wrong ) . Most of them since the begining of the civil-war have returned to Tanzania to trace back their roots and are living there.

Assalam Alaikum

Yes there are Somali jews, christians.....etc. However I see no reason to be angery or disgusted. At last weeks Jumca prayer.....an african man from congo and a white canadain girl (23 yrs old) converted to Islam.

So concentrate on the positvies....for every muslim that becomes a non-believer 10 become muslims. And dont forget.....THIS IS BETWEEN THEM AND ALLAH.

Salma   

There are Somali Jews, Christians, Buddhists, and perhaps even Athiests (I have met one myself). So what?

So what?????? Its not about who is Christian and who is a Jewish or Buddist, its about since when they were Christians, Jews and Buddists??? Were they born originally as Jews and Christians, or they had converted recently and embraced Christianty,Judaism or Buddism?!!!!!

And dont tell me there were Christians and Jews in Somalia 15 to 20 years ago :confused: specially a Buddist?? Perhaps we used to have tens of them in somalia but dont you think the number is increasing now!!!!

My father once told me he used to know a chirstian somali man called Michael, and he was an old man that time, he didnt convert to Christianity but this man was a xabashi(Christian Euthopian) who lived in Somalia for many many years and never changed his religion. Most ppl know that Yibirs are muslims, but some of them fid up from the somalis underestimating them and degrading them, so they pretend to be as Jews so that they leave the country and get better chances for living. Like travelling or getting better jobs or whateva.

OG Girl, dear i dont think the somali ppl would mind the differences and reject them. If this religious differences were there from the begining. And as i told you above about Michael the Old Chiristian somali, bel3aks when my dad talked about him it seems like he was respected and the muslims somali didnt care about his Cross around his neck or his background. Bs shay frj chebeer been a chirstian who was borned as a Christian and a Muslim who convereted to Christianity and Judaism. What you think??!!

The problem of the Yibirs is not a religion problem, its a A tribal problem. Our main disaster in Somalia is the Qabaliya that bcz of it the narrow-minded ppl are discriminating and underestimating other somali ppl.

Observer

WAZIGUWA, WAZIGWA, WAZIGUA are all used for the same ppl. In Tz(Tanzania) they are called waziguwa. But in different literatures they have used the other names. So all of the above names have been used to represent the same ppl.

Originally posted by Devil's Advocate:

Why are you so shocked and surprised that Somalis arent just muslims?

Thing is, who cares? People are entitled to their choices of religion, just like we are!