Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

Transsexual In Iran!

NGONGE   

Watched this last night :D

---------

Mon 25 Feb, 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm 60mins

In Iran homosexuality is punishable by death, yet sex change operations are not only legal but are sanctioned by Islamic law. Iranian-American filmmaker Tanaz Eshaghian was given access to a leading gender reassignment clinic in Tehran and her film, Transsexual In Iran is an intimate and revealing film of the pressures that drive many young Iranians to extreme solutions.

Sex changes have been legal in Iran since the late Ayatollah Khomeini, the spiritual leader of the 1979 Islamic revolution, passed a fatwa authorising them nearly 25 years ago. Today, Iran carries out more sex change operations than any other nation in the world except Thailand, with the government providing up to half the cost for those needing financial assistance. In the film the religious cleric responsible for gender reassignment says Islam has no trouble justifying the operation. It is no more a sin than changing wheat to flour to bread..

Transsexual In Iran follows a number of young men facing-up to stark choices and challenges of gender reassignment. For many, daily harassment and the threat of arrest by the morality police add an element of fear and a pressure to conform, even as they struggle to reconcile their sexual identities with the wishes of their families and communities.

According to Dr Bahram Mir-Jalali, Iran's most prominent sex-change surgeon, none of his patients have regretted their decision to proceed with surgery. He claims to have conducted in excess of 450 gender reassignment operations in 12 years. Yet, as the film reveals, there is a darker side to this picture. The pressure of life as a transsexual in Iran means that the only option for many is this radical surgery. Many do it reluctantly and face decisions that some ultimately live to regret. Adult themes. [AD,S]

Source

NG- I wanted to pretend that was not on TV last night, dam you…seriously I was shocked through out the whole thing and when I saw one of the trans with his bf talking to her/his mother and the mother saying Ali when are you going to marry her…I died 1000 times and don't even start me with the sheik omg the sheik goes its ok under Islam to undergo sex change, and be a woman and continue you life as a woman ie married to a man etc its OK UNDER ISLAM seriously….what do they call this stuck under two genders classic!

NGONGE   

^^ Was better than watching the damn snakes. :D

Iran is one crazy place. It really is!

One of the guys wanted to become a woman because, according to him, he felt it was haram to remain a homosexual! I think he's the one who later became a prostitute!

-Lily-   

I was gonna watch that, my little brother refused to sleep and he started shouting 'I know what that reads, Transexual in Iran!'. Well, I had to change channels obviously or face questions about 'what is a transexual'?.

Ended up watching rerun of the Oscars. CL, from your response I'm glad I didn't watch it!

N.O.R.F   

What complete and utter nonsense!

The only barnaamaj I watch these days is our Raageh’s Witness (football and news is not considered as such). Glad to be out of the ‘rubbish TV’ neighbourhood.

Originally posted by -Lily-:

I was gonna watch that, my little brother refused to sleep and he started shouting 'I know what that reads, Transexual in Iran!'. Well, I had to change channels obviously or face questions about 'what is a transexual'?.

loool ,,

why you are running from such questions ? you should explain everything to the little child and tell them in your own way before he/she hear from other ppl next day ..........

Lily- lol this days kids are exposed to all sorts of things sheltering there innocence is becoming harder and harder just to day the debate was whether 5yrs old child should be allowed to watch her/his bother give birth and everywhere you look even the cartoons have gone mad this days, I Lily I don't think you can avoid those sorts of questions for long dear.

As for the program, well it was funny in a strange kind of a way but at the same time you could not help but cringe at the ignorance projected by the Iranian officials/sheiks on the issue, seriously they even had a special document issued for trans who underwent sex change so they wont be harassed by the moral police….you did miss a hell of program though, but I am still moulding on the question what was the purpose behind the program?

p.s NG- that was there argument wasn't it that if sex change was not allowed for them/parents don't accept them as woman they will end up on the streets hence bringing more shame to the family than if there allowed to go on as a daughter? Classic!

Malika   

I missed that show,wouldnt have been able anyway..,so my daughter and I watched the snake show by David,she now wants to be just like him,go around the world and explore all these fascinating creatures..

Ngonge,you would have had nightmare's.The Anaconda's mouth expands,he can swallow a whole antelope..

-Lily-   

CL & JB, he's 5 years old soon to be 6, he still thinks that toothfaries exist and adults are truthful, noble creatures. He's too young for this kind of info.

It's always strange when certain issues that are black and white in Islam are painted as grey and grey issues are set in stone? These kinds of programmes are really tragic, I pity the individuals who must go through such mental fragmentation on a very basic issue.

5 years is not too young to know ,,, better educate them now than regretting later. He will hear this from the school/kindergarden in another applauding form and you will never erase that in his mind. Tell him now, explain to him it is a bad thing and he will believe that for the rest of his life.

chubacka   

why open up a can of worms Jac, he has not even asked about anything.

why would you guys watch such a thing you know you would see crazy ppl doing crazy things

NGONGE   

Originally posted by Northerner:

What complete and utter nonsense!

The only barnaamaj I watch these days is our Raageh’s Witness (football and news is not considered as such). Glad to be out of the ‘rubbish TV’ neighbourhood.

I am not sure it could be classed as rubbish, saaxib. It was an interesting program displaying the folly of government, clerks and individuals. It was also very informative about what goes on in Iran these days!

These lady-boys did not want to have the operation but were forced to have it because it was their only way to live the lives they chose. In a way, this program explained why Ahmdinejad told those American students that there are no homosexuals in Iran! :D

It seems that the Iranian government/clerks have decided to circumnavigate the gay issue by forcing these men to turn into women. In fact, the government contributes towards the cost of the operation and finds these wretched souls shelters to recuperate in after the procedure has taken place.

In addition, when the program revisited one of the patients a year later, it found him/her working as a prostitute. Let me hasten to add (and using his/her own words) that he/she was a halal prostitute. He/she said that because transsexuals cannot get pregnant there was a huge demand for them in the vice trade. He/she also said that he/she got married (at times) once an hour (zawaj mutca)!

All in all, and despite the strange topic of the show, it was an eye opener and a fascinating journey into the psyche of the Iranian transsexuals and the workings of that country's government.

Malika,

The Mrs recorded the snake show and tricked me into watching that African Python (it was not an Anaconda) eating the antelope whole! I also watched the bit where the Anaconda was giving birth. Oh well, at least I managed to miss the bit with the spitting cobra. :D

Ibtisam   

I was trying to watch this and the snake show, when ever got a really crazy I’d switch to the other. lol.

Iran is a mad place and has abused Islam to no end. Issh, hala prostitute iyo fake 1hour marriages. :rolleyes: lost case!

Ngonge: The show was not bad you know, if anything it illustrated that if you know the difference and the warning signs, snakes will not harm you.