Sign in to follow this  
Chimera

Marriage

Chimera   

To the newly weds(and veterans) what's life like when your married? and how did you propose?(or in SOL ladies cases were proposed to?)

tell me smile.gif

Formerly Che - your famous macwiis-strip-tease would fix that situation in a jiffy.

Adam, get the film Runaway Bride and check out Richard Gere's proposal. That was a good one. :D

winnie   

oooh, id like to expand on that question, and ask how did you know that person was right for you? or how did you know that you were ready to solidify your relationship?

Khalaf   

^^You ask a lot questions. (should be career for that no? "i lik to pick ppl's brains" :D ps: I am only joking. smile.gif

and how did you propose?

Saxib, do what the men of honor do and have always done. Forget the down on one knee, dimond ring bull****, that is not our culture. The Prophet scw didn't do it nor did our forefathers ya dig. When I ask the girl i love to marry me, i would finalize w/ her of course, then take her to my family, and her meet my hooyo macaan, then get the blessings of the family. Then do what men of honor do, go to her father along with your father or tol as somalis call it and ask for their daughters hand in marriage. Khalas, it was also custom to give the women of the girl's family gold and gifts. That is our honorable culture namean. And for honeymoon instead of going to the beach in carabiean, go to the desert in Arabia and explore dar-Islam, Mecca the kaba, Madina, Ardul-Sham. That's my plans Insha-Allah ya dig.

peace!

Nephissa   

He never did propose to me. We were one from the moment we met, that it just ended up being an assumption. He was putting out signals that he was in it for the long run. While we were dating, he would say things like "If we were to have a son who do you think he'll resemble more, you or me?" L0L [war wiilku indho adkaa!] After a while, it turned into "Markaan aabbe kaa doono" and before I knew it he was saying "When we get married." I finally looked at him one night and said "Are you planning a wedding I'm not aware of?" and he said, "you're now!" ;)

It was sweet and simple. No fanfare and certainly no bended knee [ :mad: ]

Now, life is yummy good. I bring him the newspaper every morning, and he brushes the snow off my car.

-Lily-   

^^ LoL, worked out fine Nephy . I find the whole on bended knee business ridicules and demeaning.

Val, couldn't agree more, but he did state the obvious a bit, was he on bended knee? Can't remember!

Khalaf, what you described was the process that takes place from the moment two people intend to marry each other. What the poster asked was, how you would propose to the girl. Or basically, are you saying by you doing all these things she should assume that's the way things are going?

Adam what a nosy question. I think it's been asked before if someone can be bothered to dig it up.

Two options

Somali way normally goes like>

You date,decide and ask her blantly but gently that you intend to marry her. She will either say no am not ready(in that case waa inaad ku noqnotaa)or happily accept. Not good to go alone to her family, take your father and TOL along plus sooryo. Pay all the expenses of Sooryo, nikaax, arooska and hanoeymoon plus her onarments.

The Other way>

You decide on what occasion or how u want to do it. Kids today do it romantically, like on Valentines day, on top of a cruise ship, after a nice cadle lit dinner at an expensive restourant, on the beach, on an aeroplane, in the movies, at home . They r many, just be creative. U can choose to kneel and buy 5 carrat diamond ring! it is ur pocket that decides.

If you choose the later, it is Unsomali, Unslamic, Not simple, Not practical to us and certainly not worth it!

If you choose the later, it is Unsomali, Unslamic, Not simple, Not practical to us and certainly not worth it!

Speak for your self...

I find the whole on bended knee business ridicules and demeaning.

Am shocked!

Mr. Darcy: Miss Elizabeth. I have struggled in vain and I can bear it no longer. These past months have been a torment. I came to Rosings with the single object of seeing you... I had to see you. I have fought against my better judgment, my family's expectations, the inferiority of your birth by rank and circumstance. All these things I am willing to put aside and ask you to end my agony.

Elizabeth Bennet: I don't understand.

Mr. Darcy: I love you.

Now that was a classic proposal!

-Lily-   

Hey I never said a romantic propsal was a bad thing, don't twist my words! I just find it very hard to take a man who is on bended knee very seriously. It's not manly, he is only doing what others before him have done. If I am correct, Mr Darcy was standing next to her.

LoL@speak for yourself. Some of the things Um Z mentioned were a bit cliche though. The bended knee, restuarnt thing on Valentines days is very much puke inducing. What this highlights Adam is that everyone has preferences and if you are ready to ask someone to marry you then you should know their preferences.

NGONGE   

^^ Darcy thought she was beneath him (which she was). CL is crazy for wanting a proposal such that one!

For no particular reason I got these lyrics come into my head! :D

haduu caawa igu yidhi

bada cagaha galiyoo

timaha caarada u sooh

soo xidho cunaabiga

Originally posted by Valenteenah:

Adam
, get the film Runaway Bride and check out Richard Gere's proposal. That was a good one.
:D
[/QB]

Are you hinting here?