Sign in to follow this  
Abtigiis

Tacsi Xabashi (Mourning in Ethiopia)

Abtigiis   

Tacsi Xabashi

Speaking of tacsiyo, Do you know what happens in Xabashi Tacsiyo?

First of all, a professional 'crier' is hired to cry and move people. This is standard procedure.

Secondly, it is mandatory for every visitor to cry as loud as he/she can. This is when entering the tent (place of tacsiyo). But, once inside, people play poker and different other games and GOSSIP is a key part of the ritual. Perhaps, the best place to go and hear about what one is up to is tacsiyo.

People are still required to cry on a time interval basis. Like every hour once, all games are stopped and "wayne, wayne" starts. Men and women all should cry.

AT NIGHT, here is what I really wanted to tell. Waa la is dhex seexdaa. All singles (men and women) or any willing MBA's (Married But Available- too many in Ethiopia) sleep in the tent. Men and women are mixed. Initially, women will take a corner and men the other. But at mid-night, the light will be off and the scramble begins. It is forbidden for anybody (mainly woman to spoil the sanctity of the mourning session - by for instance shouting or claiming someone is abusing her. The assumption is if someone is not ready, he/she will ask for permission to be allowed to go home. Although, asking for permission is seen as inappropriate.

During the scramble (which has to be done with the minimum noise), everyone can send "TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN" to the one he finds next. If "Busy", look for a "vacant" one! Love blooms under the tent!

It is quite natural to hear Tigist, or Aster or Woyni got pregnant and it happened during " a tacsiyo". Infact, girls who get the pregnancy from elsewhere, and want to cover up for their 'looseness', often claim " I was sleeping in a 'Hazen bet' (tacsiyo) and I noticed I was in something. I couldn't help."

Nowadays, because of the HIV/AIDS prevalence and higher understaning of the risk, the practice is dying down in urban areas. It still goes on, but not so widely. But, in rural areas, the fiesta is very much alive.

But if you want to hit the right gril, you need to ensure the right mechanisms are in place so that you know where she is sitting as the lights are about to go off. Hadii kale, Islaan qaboow baad dhinaca ka saari. And the night will be a waste.

I know a Somali man who once participated in such profane rituals, and they say he found all occupied markaaasu nin operation ku dhex jira laftigiisi ku gujiyay. When the man said "waryaa Abdi, waa sidee", They say he replid, " Is dhaafi, Axmedoow. Isasii dhaafi, adoo raali ah." The name of the man was Kaaryoone.

By the way, not attending a Xabashi acquaintance's mourning session is considered a great insult and if you haven't gone to your friend's, you can be sure there will be no more friendship. It is being taken too seriously.

But, with the is-dhex-yaac in those days, perhaps some people would have prayed for too many unfortunate people to perish!

[specific incidents report to be continued if the panel Okey's!]

Abtigiis   

One time I took a Somali relative of mine [waagii Xamar laga soo qaxay]- Cabdiwahaab- and we slept in a big tent. Kolkii laseexday unbuu kolba igu yidhaa "war xabshidu shanqad badanaa!" I told him to just concentrate on his sleep. " war ma sexanaynee noo sheeg maxaa meesha ka socda!!" intuu yidhi buu sigaar shitay!

:D waligay ma iloobayo!

Dhubad.   

Lool@isdhaafi kulahaa, walaahi qosol xun aa iga soo fakaday markaas qofwalba isoo eegay. Abtigiis, hadii shaqada la iga buriyo adiga Cantarabaqashkaada ayaan u haystaa.

Horta Wayne Wayne maxaa waaye?