Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Reading to 1st and 2nd graders.

As the good citizen I'm ( :D ), I along with couple other mates have volunteered to go to elementary school and read to 1st and 2nd graders.Initially, the idea sounded great but now I don't know if I wanna sit in front of little rascals. Dealing with these creatures is tricky or atleast it's not something I'm looking forward to now but I can't back out at stage.

We are suppose to be at the school atleast four hours and that already seem like eternity-so any advices from those that deal with these rascals.

Kool_Kat   

Hakaa saarto hee! Volunteer kuyeh...Never volunteer anything to do with 'little rascals', unless they're yours... :D

This reminds me of

!

Enjoy it ayeeyo...

LOL! Well change your attitude first. Calling them "rascals" and conjuring up images of wild "creatures" wont help you get a positive experience. So are you reading to a whole class, a group or an individual student? I would suggest you dont read to the whole class as their attention span is nonexistant at that age and you'll certainly feel unappreciated. Try a small group or tutor a particular student who is struggling with reading.

i love kindergarten cop :D

the gig sounds kinda fun. but if you want to make it through the 4 hrs without incident, definitely don't just sit and read to them - use funny voices, do role playing, ask them questions. Have a good time man!

Malika   

Oh my! Our own version of Don Juan has gone soft in his old age.. icon_razz.gif:D

Dont frett,there is more to reading..If your going to have a one to one sessions,let the child choose the book. Ask the teacher for a little back ground info. Like what should you be focusing to improve, i.e the childs ability to decode a word, read with fluency, comprehension etc.

talk,talk and more talk..about the book,its theme,character,setting,illistrations..there is so much to a book.

Have fun!

^Kir icon_razz.gif

Ayeeyo-Won't that bad I hope :D

I was thinking reading to my nieces and nephews as practice :D

C&H-I don't know if there will be an entire class, just bunch or a kid.I will trying not go into crisis mode.

Grasshopper-my accent should help-mix of Pakistani, Somali, and Bostonian.

Habo-It's service day and I'm doing part icon_razz.gif

Thanks for the tips smile.gif

Haatu   

^Let's just say I knew the teacher and it was a favour ;)

Kabiir? Ninyow luuqad aan fahmaayo iigula hadal :D

PS: Trust me, those kids are like dogs, if they smell your fear they will tare (Is the spelling correct?) you apart :D

*Ducks*

^I will bring my bakooarad but will try not to make to the 5 o'clock news.

Adiga you need to spend a day with ayeeyo aka KK so she could teach Somali Somali :D

LooooooL@I know teacher-don't we all?

Please read them Stephen King. Pleeease pretty please with a cherry on top!

Maaddeey   

Che, Haatu oo inadeerkaa ah baad wax fahamsiin la'dahaye ma Ilmo caddaan ah baa wax kaa fahmaya? :D

Haatu, wuxuu ula jeedaa: KHABIIR = EXPERT

Blessed   

If it is 1-1 or small group ask them to read with you, let them show you how clever they are, praise a lot, they will love you but be firm ask teacher for class rules before you start. 4 hours does sound like eternity for reading...will you be doing an activity on the books read or are you helping out for the day. Have fun, they will love having a new adult in class to show off to. Have fun. -)

Che, are you still there reading books or you are done? Khabiid nimadaada ay ka cabsadeen caruuta dee!!

Maaddeey, adi dugsi Quraan ma soo marin miyaa? Khabiir ku yeh. War waa KABIIR, macalinka dugsiga markuu maqan yahay kan looga sii tago camal...Assistant macallin dugsi!