Sign in to follow this  
Allamagan

Nomad Diaries

SeeKer   

^The Xalimos went today I believe, but it was nice to see our Faraxs turn up. :D

Ps:- Como van tus clases de espanol progresa?

I'm sending her support from London! Hope her book becomes a success and she'll be able to come on a signing tour to London, inshaAllah. All the best to Yasmeen.

SeeKer   

^Thats great, vas a celebrar cuando Celtics a ganar el Campeonato si?

Ps:- I am still waiting for my Celtics tix since you were looking for someone to pawn them off to beginning of the season icon_razz.gif

BOB   

Who is this Faarax & Xaliimo I always hear/read? Do I know them? Are they part of SOL family? Waa qoloma? Faarax & Xaliimo ma isku qolaa mise waa kala qolo? waa imisa jir? wax ma akhrin karaan mise qori karaan? imisa luuqadood ayey ku hadlaan? Utange maku noolaan jireen? dhuudhi cagaha maka galay weli? malaariyo maku dhacday? imisa kaar beey lahaayeen? Sponser maku jireen? Pamela aqoon ma u leeyihiin? halkee bey daganaayeen A,B,C,D mise E? bal idinkaa tol ehe reerka war iga siiya.

Peace, Love & Unity.

BOB   

Originally posted by SeeKer:

^Wacha kutafuta madames jo
icon_razz.gif

untaka ni tafute ma chali sasa? mimi siyo mtu wa Lamu jo:D

Peace, Love & Unity.

NASSIR   

Originally posted by G G:

Has anybody read Ignorance is the Enemy of Love? Someone gave it to me as a gift, but I've never had the time to read it. Any good? Thoughs, comments?

One of the best books I have read in my life. Yes the English version.

Here is an old review.

Reviewed by Andrzejewski

The story told here is a true one, even though it is presented in a fictionalized form. The hero, Cali Maxamed Xasan, popularly known as Calimaax, Cali the Seafarer, and the heroine, Cawrala Barre, were real people, and the memory of what happened in their lives is still preserved among older people in the Sanaag region of Somalia.....

"Ignorance is the Enemy of Love appeared in 1974, and was the first full-scale Somali novel to be published; it was preceded only by two much shorter ones printed in booklet form. Its publication coincided with the beginning of mass urban and rural literacy campaigns, and with the rapid Somalization of the school system, and although the novel is historical, its attack on the evils of illiteracy and ignorance had topical relevance at that time. In fact, its popularity among the numbers of newly literate people surely contributed to the success of the campaigns, giving them something to read that was aesthetically satisfying and was based firmly in their own culture. The success of Faarax M.J. Cawl, who won nationwide acclaim, has encouraged other talented Somali writers, and in the few years since the introduction of an official orthography there have been substantial achievements both in poetry and prose. The reformist zeal of Faarax M.J. Cawl is not limited to the advocacy of literacy, and in his novel he presents a very sympathetic picture of Somali women which by implication shows his total support for their emancipation. This again coincides with the views of the government which came into power in 1969; at the time of the publication of the book it was preparing family law legislation which was to be strongly opposed by some traditionalist opinion. It must be observed at this point that the lot of Somali women, even before this time, was probably somewhat better in many other male-dominated societies, and their difficulties arose more from abuse of the system than from cruelties inherent in it. For instance, women did not have to be veiled, except by tradition among members of a small number of families in some of the towns, and everywhere they had considerable freedom of movement, as can be seen from the women in the novel are traveling independently from Aden to Somalia. Somali men usually feel great reverence and affection for their mothers, and consequently many women of ability and character had a strong influence on family matters and even, by manipulating their menfolk, on public affairs. Marriages were normally arranged by the families concerned, but often enough after the young people had already met and initiated the process, and the custom did not necessarily present any problems. In any case, elopement was a recognized method by which young people could get their own way. Although they would usually be pursued by their families, if they managed to get beyond a certain distance before being caught they were allowed to marry, and this explains the hope that Cawrala, the heroine of the novel, has that Calimaax will rescue her from the situation she is in. The system of bride-wealth payment to a girl’s family was not as degrading as it might seem, for the transaction involved mutual social obligations between the two families, and since a part of the payment was returned to the husband after all had gone well for some time, it acted as a deposit, as it were, to secure his good behaviour. In addition the amount of bridewealth reflected prestige not only on the families involved but on the girl herself. The real abuses of the old customs arose when, through poverty or greed, girls were given in marriage against their will to old, brutal or repulsive men who could give a tempting bridewealth in exchange. It is this situation“ based on real happenings, it must be remembered which is depicted in the novel, and in his emotive treatment of the subject, Faarax M.J. Cawl reflects the feelings of many Somali men and women of the younger generation, who support the pro-feminist reforms introduced by the government.

The author does not neglect, either, to support another cause, which is of importance to the economic development of his country. He makes his hero protest against the prejudice which many Somalis have against the eating of fish, for in spite of the very long coastline the country possesses, fish has generally been regarded as a very inferior food compared to the meat eaten by the majority of the rural population. The government is trying to overcome the problems of malnutrition by persuading them to the contrary, through the mass media and education.

Originally posted by SeeKer:

^So cynical my friend. She did do an informal read at a somali owned cafe and the place was packed over the capacity. I believe it was about 45-60 people there.

So you were that girl sitting at the corner? :D

SeeKer   

^The girl with the cream colored rain jacket, black chiffon shirt, black pants and black pumps on? No that wasn't me :D I think that was the author's friend. I was in the back mixing the lattes icon_razz.gif

C&H I did notice your question and I am still trying to find out if the books are being sold by a somali locally. Hopefully I will have an answer for you latest tomorrow morning.

BOB, wacha uchokozi watu walamu si wote senge :(