Sign in to follow this  
N.O.R.F

Hollywood’s normalisation of Muslim deaths

N.O.R.F   

Hollywood’s normalisation of Muslim deaths

It has taken a while but finally, and predictably, it’s here. The obscure locations, the high-tech gizmos, the web of informers and the notion that the good will eventually win over evil. Hollywood has been in top gear recently selling us movies based on agents in foreign locations doing their utmost to safeguard their country against terrorists. In doing so, the death of Muslims (whether they be ‘terrorists’ or civilians) has become perfectly normal. We all know that when civilians are killed as a result of any fighting it is known as ‘collateral damage’. This, ‘collateral damage’ has become normal in movies.

We are all aware how Hollywood has in the past used movies to shape people’s minds in the past. During the cold war many a movie was based around the Russian and Chinese being the bad guys. Backed up there media, Russia was considered the bad guy by most (including myself).

Now, when you turn on the news and here about a drone attack in Pakistan or Afghanistan with reports of civilian casualties how does the general public react considering they’ve seen these movies again and again?

Hollywood supported by its subsidiary media is realizing that its goal of normalising the deaths of Muslims is being achieved. Today, in the eyes of many, the deaths of Muslims at the hands of the US and its allies, without much in the way of reason is perfectly normal.

Ibtisam   

I agree, collateral damage and spying has become a norm. Spying within the Muslim community though has been shown as something that will lead to your death within the Muslims community, and left to hang on the other side. Hopefully that should let every “Muslim” spy know that while he is pampered and paid when is his providing useful information to them, as soon as they are done with you, they will throw you to the dogs with your as*s hanging out.

Have you seen also noticed the emphasis and exaggeration of the holocaust, Only last night we was talking about how, to get an Oscar award you have to do a movie on the holocaust or do something like 50 other movies (10 of them really good) before an actor is given one. Actors know the quick road to glory.

N.O.R.F   

^Its a multi thronged approach dear. What I have realised of late the 10 second news section on a US drone attack in Pakistan/Afghanistan . Is it just not news worthy anymore? Is the death of civilian not a big deal anymore?

Hollywood has been catching up quick to cover over cracks in the US' policies and approach over seas.

NGONGE   

Stuff and nonsense. All conjecture with no proof at all, other than your own prejudice.

As for the holocaust, it could only be 'exaggerated' if you do not believe it took place to start with.

ps

You two need to go and watch some Chuck Norris movies.

Khayr   

As for the holocaust, it could only be 'exaggerated' if you do not believe it took place to start with.

What a leap in logic and reasoning? :rolleyes:

NGONGE   

^^ Haye, haye, diinta ega saaar again, ya sheikho el islam.

There is no leap in logic here. It's as solid as a shici's stone.

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by NGONGE:

Stuff and nonsense. All conjecture with no proof at all

So you disagree. Are you saying Hollywood has done no such thing or are you merely looking for 'proof' saxib?

NGONGE   

^^ Hollywood makes movies. Their driving force is making profits. Movies that deal with contemporary issues will only make money if they appeal to moviegoers. Hollywood is not obliged to be fair or just. They only have to be entertaining and make movies that people WILL like. Sadly, Muslims being the bad guys is NOT a Hollywood invention.

You are trying to present some sinister conspiracy theory to portray Hollywood as some sort of tool to continue the suppression of Muslims. That’s fair and ok in Ibti’s girly chats but if you bring it here for discussion, of course I will ask you for proof. Waxa la yedhi wont cut it, saaxib.

Nephissa   

So true, ya Norf. Hollywood depicts the death of Muslims as dameer bakhtiye! But the problem is also that we have just come to a point where another death is just that another death. I turn on the news, I see that 100s died in an an attack, I see that some suicide bomber guy went to a market and killed another 100s innocent people and himself, I see that a boat cap sized and another 100s innocent lives lost. The images are seen day to day that we have gotten desensitised to a point where it's just normal. It's apart of our everyday lives. You don't want to be too removed to care, I do think it's healthy to be able to cope with this staggering amount of Muslim deaths, haddii kale waad ku waalani!

Cara.   

Hollywood does use the Enemy Du Jour tactic for thrillers and blockbusters. It was the "VietCong" during Vietnam, USSR during the Cold War, back during the US War of Independence it was the British Empire that was the bad guys in plays. Today it's the War On Terror that's gripped their imagination. But I think it would be simplistic to either assume there's some huge conspiracy, or to claim there are no consequences to demonizing people for quick profit.