Sign in to follow this  
Muhammad

Intellectual Comparability - does it matter?

Muhammad   

greetings to all!

I would like the nomads opinion on a topic that

has been on my mind for sometime now.

how important is Intellectual Comparability,

when one is seeking a partner in life?

Hadaynu Soomali nahay, markay guur noqoto,

waxaynu aad ufiirinaa maalka, ehelka, qabiilka,

quruxda, iyo diinta qofka. Siday ila tahay, way

yaryihiin inta markay guurdoon yihiin fiirisa,

tacliinta ama heerka waxbarashada ee qofka.

what about you, do you look at the intellectual

style of the person, his or her degree of

education, ideas, goals, visions, ...?

Personally, I want someone, when I tell her,

"I dream of You and I on a White Stallion,

riding across Andalusia under a crescent moon!",

would know excatly what I mean, and not just

knows but feels excatly how I feel!

ma aan rabo mid tiraahda,

» "War ma pasta-dii aad xalay cuntay baad ku riyootay?"

» "Pasta-dee?"

» "Dee Wamaxay Santa lushiyada iyo waxaad sheegaysid?"

what about you? does it matter?

peace!

juba   

it isn't that important but it would be nice. i mean wouldn't you like someone you could talk to about what facinates you wether it be the distance formula or why the sky is blue? i agree your intellectual side does not make or break a relationship but it would make an interesting one!

najma82   

Assalamu Calaykum people

I am new here, so nice to meet you guys all smile.gif

Adnan I most definately agree with you. I mean I wouldn't want that to happend to me too, but you know I think most somali men don't mind marrying a girl that is intelectually not compatable with them, and I also noticed that some men feel threatening if their spouse is more intelectual or the same level with them. I would definately consider intelectual compatability when marrying someone, and that of course doesn't mean that he has to have degree in something or what not, but what I mean is that he is aware of his surroundings, he is knowledgable about many different topics, different ideas, and that he is self educator. I mean there are people who are very dumb even though they might have PhD in something, but also there are very intelectual people who might have not even graduated from High school. Anyway these are just my ideas so feel free to share yours as well. Take care guys. Macasalamah.

Originally posted by Muad:

"I dream of You and I on a White Stallion, riding across Andalusia under a crescent moon!",
would know excatly what I mean, and not just knows but feels excatly how I feel!

Ahh...how romantic!

Intellectual compatibility isn't a bad thing to have in a relationship, however, I dont think it matters more than say, physical attraction or a shared sense of humour.

Charisma   

I agree with Najma totally in alomost everything u said , yes we all need someon ewe can connect with intellectually . i would like to be able to talk to my partner about all sorts of things including sports/cars n whatever u guys like to talk to ,as well as the important issues concerning us. i think in order to have a positive relationship u need to communicate in order to do so u should be able to connect intelectually ,emotionally n the rest .

Xoogsade   

As I read the plethora of expectations that SEEM TO grow expenontially on a daily basis, I am asking myself how am I gonna pull it off? LOL.

It matters to me. I really don't want to spend my life being bored by a man. Ãt doesn't matter if it's different things that interest him so long as he expresses his opinions and thoughts without sending me to sleep or expecting me to take on board his way of seeing the world. I don't believe higher education necessarily breeds thinkers. U either are one or you aren't. U either want to spend your life with one or you don't.

LOL, Xoogsade, by being yourself. Someone will take notice, don't u fret.

Pacifist   

To me its very important one has to know how to stimulate my mind. Intellectual compatibility in a relationship is like a protein in a diet. Its the foundation of the relationship, the building block, the cement the holds it together. With out protein our cells don't grow. With out it our relationships bogs down, then stagnates. Cerebral harmony feeds our conversations and discussions with our partner, bonds us together in communication and drives the growth of our life together. That also mean sharing same mental complexity. Also brings common plans, shared goals, mutual aspirations and joint dreams. So we can always meet on that cloud nine away on a horizon way off planet earth....thinking about Venus

^^^^^^^

Blame it on the psychology class

FARIID   

"I dream of You and I on a White Stallion,

riding across Andalusia under a crescent moon!",

would know excatly what I mean, and not just

knows but feels excatly how I feel!

ma aan rabo mid tiraahda,

» "War ma pasta-dii aad xalay cuntay baad ku riyootay?"

» "Pasta-dee?"

» "Dee Wamaxay Santa lushiyada iyo waxaad sheegaysid?"

Muad this is a case of two people speaking different languages. Aqoontu ma afqalaadbaa? The fact that she mistakes Andalusia for pasta santa lucia does not spell intellectual bankruptcy!

One might pause and ask- what does being an 'intelectual' entail? and how does one know who is on the same intelectual level as oneself? Do we compare papers we got from some university or is there something much more than that? Is Farax, a carpenter who crafts beautiful sofas from wood on the same intellectual level as Xalimo- a 'catwalk' designer(harvard educated)?

Perhaps someone can enlighten us

Jurnee   

Life shouldnt be so rigid, i wouldnt mind someone with a harvard degree but if not that doesnt necessarily mean that person isnt intelligent...a degree doesnt=intelligence

I think if someone is witty, well read, sharp and life smart that is more than enough...