Sign in to follow this  
checkmate

Proposal! Is it doable nomads?

What if we Sol nomads formed a coalition to help the needy/hungry in Somalia? We take noticeable action instead of discussing and analyzing issues on forum boards. I have been thinking a lot about the our poor people lately, as you are aware this is a reoccurring problems (starvation) every year in the drought season, I would like us to take preventive measures to save lives, rather than sending money in the last minute. I honestly don’t see any other way of contributing and helping our people. I totally understand of the difficulties involved in embarking such journey but it’s worth it if we are going put one suffering soul in ease. I am thinking along the lines of digging wells ( for water), food, clothing, shelters and etc. start out really small, depending how well we execute this plan and our success we can move on to do even better things such as education and health facilities

We are going to be faced with enomous obstacles doing such acts for our people. I will like to purpose to nomads who have participated in NGO campaigns, who know all the routes taken to accomplish such plan and take a crucial role in the making of something amazing and beyond. I would also like to see nomads who will pledge one year (preferably in contract) their money and time (voluntarily). I know that some of you might think of this as little peculiar of the contract but I recommend you to consider what is at stake here and how important it’s for the organization to count on your contributions. After a year on contributing you become free of you obligations and then it will you option to continue or not. What’s in it for you another then Allah’s reward (ajar) and personal satisfaction? Charity receipts for your tax breaks at the end of the year.

We need willing bodies that could set up these organizations in these countries: Canada (where we can discuss), USA (where we can discuss) UK (where we can discuss) Australia (where we can discuss) I would really appreciate if we walked the walk since we have talked the talk in so many scales. Following through this plan is really important not only will it bring us closer; it will do the same for our nation, our people then ever imagined. A coalition in affect to Only and Only help our poor and innocent people live a decent lives and get ahead start in the future.

I haven’t really given much thought as to how we are going to create a counterpart in Somalia, and making deals with the devils (militia or warlords) to protect the goods for the innocent and the poor. May be you guys can share your opinions.

I know my writing isn’t that great. But I sincerely hope you all can make out what my intentions are and how this could affect the lives of thousands.

I am completely supportive of this idea and willing to take what ever role presented, I like us to all to deliberate on this proposal and find more ways as to how we can succeed it.

Please let’s stick to the topic nomads.

Castro come out, come out whereever you are. :D

Naden   

checkmate,

I need to think more about this but the first thing that came to my mind is the establishment of small-business grants for individuals and families. They have similar projects in countries like Palestine, Mali and so on.

I think some NGOs are fairly useless in capacity building projects (like giving families cattle or training to open small clothing factories). Again, I need to think about it more but perhaps the first few steps would be:

1) To find out who is now on the ground and how are they dealing with acute and chronic problems.

2) To establish a vision of short-term vs. long-term goals (for instance, fundraise now to help with the immediate starvation threat or have a longer term development plan of 5-20 years for the building of schools, hospitals and so on...).

3) To research how similar societies have built capacity and to collaborate with Somalis back home in examining the feasibility of smaller projects in their areas.

It's all very broad and many Somalis are already doing some of this work but there is a great deal more to do.

Maansha allaah.. Thank you for the response Naden. I completely agree we can’t obviously start up something we have no depth of with out a thorough investigation and what better way to go about it than right from the ground source and developed organization that are already there.

If we were to go on board, it would definitely have to be for a long-term goal but our priorities would first be the basic necessities of sustaining life, such things like; water, food and shelter. Depending on how far off be come, we could then do other things we see fit for the development of our communities.

And you are right this plan requires profound and calculated thinking.

Castro   

^ I got time and (some) money. What I don't have is vision and planning. But I would be more than glad to contribute in any way I can. Brain storming is in order but also a little more. Things like who is going to be on the ground in Somalia. If we're all out here, then whatever we do must be channeled through the bloody NGO's. I'm not going to Somalia and I don't want the person we have out there take the money and invest it in that mall in Galkacyo. There's got to be trust and it will be the most difficult aspect. Then the logistical difficulties follow that. And so on.

Does anyone have or can create a charitable org. in their town or find ones that already exist? How do they get help to those who need it? Do they rent containers and put them on ships? My ignorance is vast in this area. I'm sure someone here knows.

Well sorry to be rather cynical, but i doupt if such a vision will be realised ... well at least not for this current draught ... peharps if you are saying lets set up an orginisation for future purposes then am more tha happy to financially support and of course help out logistictly ... from the comfort of my desk.

Castro   

^ Yes, it's for the (inevitable) future droughts. Only the members of this forum can raise $100,000 every year (with only $10-15 donated).

Here's a good link on starting a charitable org in the US.

Naden   

Castro,

I'm probably as ignorant as you are about the logistics of this but thoroughly believe that small businesses are the key to building some economic capacity. For those of us out here who will starve if we leave our jobs, there is no way around partnerships with people back home. A collaboration in every sense of the word.

In the mean time, maybe we can explore:

1) This website: Small Business Portal . It has some information on small businesses and cooperatives that are running in parts of Africa. I have yet to read it in depth but it may interesting.

2) For the building of the infrastructure of small businesses, an organization like Habitat for Humanity (not sure if they have international operations) may be the key. People are given a hand in building their structures and are expected to put in an X number of hours. So many Somalis are talented in building homes in their towns and cities but a helping hand is always a bonus.

Just some ideas. What I am weary of is the explosion of NGOs that descend upon towns and have these 'local' offices with a few employees and nothing real to offer the masses. A friend just returned from Somalia and commented on the nearly 70 (yes 70) NGOs of every shape and makeup settled in a town, each with nothing more than a one-room office and a couple of employees. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Castro:

^ I got time and (some) money. What I don't have is vision and planning. But I would be more than glad to contribute in any way I can. Brain storming is in order but also a little more. Things like who is going to be on the ground in Somalia. If we're all out here, then whatever we do must be channeled through the bloody NGO's. I'm not going to Somalia and I don't want the person we have out there take the money and invest it in that mall in Galkacyo........Does anyone have or can create a charitable org. in their town or find ones that already exist? How do they get help to those who need it? Do they rent containers and put them on ships? My ignorance is vast in this area. I'm sure someone here knows.

Johnny B   

Just make it possible and tranparent, i´ve neither time to be on the ground nor the time and know-how to coordinate, but i´d love to contribute a year of my coffe money and be a fader to a Somali kid or two.

The point here comes down to money, and that is the diametrical conclusion. As Castro, the former liberal, mentioned trust is another issue that needs to be resolved, since all major issues in somalia lack a common trust that can be applied for solving common problems.

But, speaking of the reality in SOL, I think we can hardly make a united front in this case, and that is the passiveness which is visceral to those who had lost all their bloods in tribalism. We can't do anything unless we overcome tribalism, and indeed tribalism is where all problems generate, including the drought that is raging many parts in Somalia.

Castro   

^ I will help any clan or tribe as I would my "own". Few on this forum think of or are bothered by clans. Many of us grew up away from that crap. When a Somali drowns in the Red Sea trying to get to Yemen, I never, EVER, wonder what clan he was. Same with those dying of hunger. My point is, when it comes down to it, I think clannism is not as big a problem as the logistics.

Jacpher   

Only the members of this forum can raise $100,000 every year (with only $10-15 donated).

Right on my man. It’s doable if we give 100% the time and the effort necessary to make it work. Count me in. As Johnny mentioned, skip Starbucks couple of months and you'll save enough cash to contribute.

^ I will help
any
clan or tribe as I would my "own". Few on this forum think of or are bothered by clans. Many of us grew up away from that crap. When a Somali drowns in the Red Sea trying to get to Yemen, I never, EVER, wonder what clan he was. Same with those dying of hunger. My point is, when it comes down to it, I think clannism is not as big a problem as the logistics.

Masha-Allah! the purity of your remarks say all, but the suprising thing about your view is how it reversed my expectations off you. Now, you should be the driving force in spearheading this sacred cause of helping our kinds overcome hunger. For your information sxb, I was working with a group of people in different states to pool some resources for the victims of the drought in our homeland, but I realy faced an uphill battle in convincing the people the nature of the cause. It seems every time I engage with someone about this issue, one has to start questioning the legitimacy of every thing, not to mention Cabsida they feel towards participating such causes.

But, we have to do something before it is too late.

Castro   

Well before this mass euphoria fades (as it inevitebly does unfortunately), it is best to walk away from this with something concrete.

Are there any organizations in the west that can be our chosen charity? A group with a proven track record of actual work on the ground. And one that is not associated with any western NGO. If there's one, we should adopt it and become fund raisers for it here on sol. If it doesn't exist, it's high time one was created.

Anyone know of a group with that description?

There are hundreds of small "community organizations" all over the US and Canada but do any of them work within Somalia and are based in the west?

Just typing "Somali community" on Google made me dizzy. :(

Yes, saaxiib, this group is well versed in the horn of Africa, and they are currently dealing with the drought issues, mainly in Somalia. I contacted with them several times, and actually I find them very honest in their methodologies. One of their representitives is bound to our State to raise money from us, and Muslim communities in close proximity.

It is called: The American Relief Agency for the Horn of Africa . www.amraha.org

We hope our people get something in any possible venues that can bring results in their situations, Insha-Allah.

Naden   

Are there any organizations in the west that can be our chosen charity? A group with a proven track record of actual work on the ground. And one that is not associated with any western NGO. If there's one, we should adopt it and become fund raisers for it here on sol.

I've read a little about Heifer International . Unfortunately, it is a western NGO but I like the fact that a long term involvement with 'consultants' is not necessary so much of the money goes directly to people. Also, I think it maybe worth looking into as it maybe a lifesaver for people not getting a remittance from family in the Western world.

If it doesn't exist, it's high time one was created.

I think we shoud consider both, supporting a charity and opening our own. With some research and study, perhaps we can put together a plan to begin one (or both) of these:

1) A cooperative funded by the donations of SOL members. People apply with a short business plan, and they are paired with a business-minded individual to provide mentorship. Ideally the mentor will be based in Somalia and a third partner will be an SOL member to keep an eye on things. Loans to begin small (real small) businesses would follow Muslim interest laws and with the loan come business advice, help in getting raw materials, exploring markets, training people, etc..)

2)A scholarship fund to send 10-15 students to African/Arab countries to train in applied fields in everything including construction, plumbing, electrical work, sewing, etc.

There are hundreds of small "community organizations" all over the US and Canada but do any of them work within Somalia and are based in the west?

As someone who's worked with one type of Somali 'community organization' or another in Canada, I would steer clear for now as they have perilous funding stability and most incoming dollars go into administration/salary costs.