Sign in to follow this  
Nephissa

LeBron James: King Kong

Nephissa   

Many people are upset because of what the photo suggests. They object to the posing in the picture by famed photographer Annie Leibovitz, comparing the grimacing LeBron with his arm around Gisele, to that of King Kong.

The comparison has fueled racial stereotypes for some people.

2340591039_d1b83bdddf.jpg?v=0

^^ I didn't think king kong when I saw it and I still don’t. Even after it's been explained. But I understand that everyone will see the same picture differently.

N.O.R.F   

What is it with America and race? Everything seems to revolve around it at every opportunity presented to the media.

Heedhe,I thought you quit reading Vogue? What happened to the new magazine stock? huh? Like,Parenthood? :D

I dont like Lebron anyway,so they can compare to a giant Gorilla for all i care...Had this been my Boy Kobe,i would have thrown a fete smile.gif

I think,some of the Afrocentric,black bloggers,are a bit too sensitive...The man has a fantastic woman by the waist,bal muxuu iska waalaya? Alow yaa ku celiyaa 1960,Giselle muusan eegen xitaa :( ...They need to let this go some time,really!

Everything seems to revolve around it at every opportunity presented to the media.

Why do you seem surprised? Its just like the muslims after 9/11 shoving the religion in everyone's face, not much difference me thinks.

America and race go hand in hand. As was the case today of a black family man who was sentenced to 2 yrs for shooting a lynch mob made of teenage boys that came to his front porch in the hope of beating up his young son. A family man protects his property, family and he gets to be sentenced, because the boy he shot happens to be white.

PS:thats quite an honor, only 2 men posed on the front cover before lebron, and he does have a monkey noise(king kong anyone?)

N.O.R.F   

Originally posted by LayZie G.:

quote:Everything seems to revolve around it at every opportunity presented to the media.

Why do you seem surprised? Its just like the muslims after 9/11 shoving the religion in everyone's face, not much difference me thinks.

America and race go hand in hand. As was the case today of a black family man who was sentenced to 2 yrs for shooting a lynch mob made of teenage boys that came to his front porch in the hope of beating up his young son. A family man protects his property, family and he gets to be sentenced, because the boy he shot happens to be white.

PS:thats quite an honor, only 2 men posed on the front cover before lebron, and he does have a monkey noise(king kong anyone?)
What are you on about? :confused:

N.O.R.F   

9/11 and shoving religion in people's face?

Man shoots kid and gets 2 years?

I don't see the correlation,,,

I don't understand your question mark bit.

We were once at a period when all we read on the news blogs and watched on telly was islamaphobia, especially after 9/11, that bit wasn't so confusing to you, why should race and the role it plays in america is something you gotta wonder about?

In regards to american media and race being the front and center lately, it is just a norm.

The issue was always there, but lately, it has become more frequent that non to bring about, as a means to win elections etc.

Regarding the family man who was sentenced, that normally wouldn't be a big story from the conservatives, but today, it was a headline, so I was just sharing that bit.

N.O.R.F   

Race is nothing new but its always on the periphery ready to jump out at anytime (usually every year or so). In UK/Europe, race is hardly an issue! Not as regularly as in the US. What is wrong with America?

Media's infatuation with Islam is very young compared to the race issue.

Originally posted by Northerner:

What is it with America and race? Everything seems to revolve around it at every opportunity presented to the media.

It is a crazy world but race politics keeps the sleeping masses away from the government's policies and against each other.