Sign in to follow this  
Ibtisam

Mugabe's Zanu-PF loses majority

Ibtisam   

The opposition says Mr Mugabe has lost the presidential election

Robert Mugabe's party has lost its majority in parliament for the first time since Zimbabwean independence in 1980, official results show.

President Mugabe's Zanu-PF party has so far taken 94 of the 210 seats, while opposition parties have won 105, the Zimbabwe Election Commission says.

The opposition MDC says its leader has won the presidential election. Zanu-PF says this is "wishful thinking".

The official presidential election results have not yet been declared.

The BBC's Grant Ferrett in Johannesburg says that although the release of parliamentary results by the Zimbabwe Election Commission is significant, the main power in Zimbabwe lies with the president.

ELECTION RESULTS SO FAR

Parliamentary constituencies

MDC-Tsvangirai: 96

Zanu-PF: 94

Breakaway MDC faction: 9

Independent: 1

Undeclared: 10

Presidential results

None so far

Winner needs more than 50% to avoid run-off

Source: ZEC

Hope for change in Zimbabwe

The MDC released its own results to back up its claim of victory in the presidential poll.

MDC Party Secretary General Tendai Biti said its leader Morgan Tsvangirai had won 50.3% of the vote to President Robert Mugabe's 43.8%, so avoiding a presidential run-off.

In his news conference, Mr Biti said there was "anxiety and disappointment" at the failure of the Zimbabwe Election Commission to declare presidential results.

But Mr Biti said that if the election commission decided that neither of the main candidates had won outright, the MDC would be prepared to take part in a second round.

For Zanu-PF, Deputy Information Minister Bright Matonga said the claim of victory was irresponsible and could incite violence.

And, interviewed by the BBC, he said the pattern of results from the parliamentary election suggested that there would be a second round in the presidential election.

BBC

^ The Land redistribution was poetic :D

the old man hung on for too long but allot of western pressure contributed to the current economic problems it wasn't all his fault

Ibtisam   

^^^Loool. Caaw you are showing the funny side of you! lol This is the tird post of yours aan kuu qooslo! lol :D

^ in a good mood today :D

but on a serious note the Man is great ........ I remember in early 2003 he was addressing the UN general assembly the line i loved the most was

Blair you keep your England, I will keep my Zimbabwe

^ or something to that affect....... the way he carried out the Land reforms were not 100% fair but i could not help myself feeling happy that the English were feeling the backlash of colonialism.

Malika   

^And by only those mere words they make him a great man??

He has ruined the once self sufficient country,brought it down to its knees just like all the other useless African leaders.Zimbabwe was miles ahead of many other African countries,instead of thinking strategically at how he could continue to enhance the economy he did what? Introduce land reform,handing a whole plantation that requires skills to run to a poor farmer that was only used to farm in small scales.

He ruined Zimbabwe..Period!

Look at Mbeki now, how can a country like South Africa have shortage of electricity? These African leaders wallahi make such a shamble of anything they undertake..

Thierry.   

Mugabe although I like the man should step down infact he should have stepped down in the last election. the people need fresh blood and he needs to retire in the same way patriots such as Mandela have done

Malika   

^How do you compare Mandela and Mugabe?

Mugabe is arrogant,proud and will take this fall too hard.It will be interesting to see how he goes..

^ no argument on that point he held on too long like a typical African but the Economic toll suffered by Zimbabwe can not all be laid at his feet The U.S. has dealt the country serous blows by the sanctions.......... Iraq with oil suffered through the sanctions how could Zimbabwe survive.

other than holding on too long ... and did not adequately plan for the Land reforms....... the man is one of the few African leaders that make me proud

Ibtisam   

How do you compare Mugabe to Mandela?? :confused: This is madness, please explain! :rolleyes:

Malika I could not agree more!!

i will miss him :( esp his speeches who else can call Bush/Blaire Hitler and Mussolini :D

"Must we allow these men, the two unholy men of our millennium, who in the same way as Hitler and Mussolini formed (an) unholy alliance ... to attack an innocent country?" .

dont even start me on his fight the white man speeches lol i will miss him, he was a funny old man

:D:D

Malika   

^He was a silly arrogant old man...Lol

You all remind me of those special assemblies we do during Black history month.. :D

Geel jire there is no question about the influence of the west in the deterioration of the economy of Zimbabwe. But the buck stops at Mugabe when push come to shove.Zimbabwe's economy rested on three pillars: commercial agriculture, tourism and mining.

With the land reform policy of his, he wrecked the commercial agriculture of Zimbabwe. He handed the white-owned farms to Black Zimbabweans without troubling to provide them with finance, farming equipment, training and so forth.

He unleashed violence against his political opponents, thus that frightened away tourists. By passing a policy that allows the seizure of 51 per cent of their shares, he forced the mining companies to abandon all exploration and investment.

Dont even start me on the waves of skilled people leaving Zimbabwe because the standard of living and life in general has deteriorated.Lack of medication and equipments in hospitals.. :mad:

Thierry.   

Ladies Mugabe is a hero to all anti colonialist he fought against the oppressors of his people he was imprisoned because he wanted his people to be free and when the country got its independence who was elected as the president of Zimbabwe. He held on to power for to long but do not always believe what the BBC tells you after all it is their cousins he over threw.

So with that note Mugabe is in the same league as Kwame Nakruma, Mandela, Gamal Abdel Nasser, Abdullahi Cisse.

Yes the man could have taken a different route with regards of getting rid of the White Farmers (personally I would have got rid of them gradually while at the same time improving the skill set of the people) but do not question Mugabes love and sincerity for his people those white farmers who were a minority had a iron grip on the countries wealth

I don’t need Bob Geldof to tell me who is a African Hero.

Fabregas   

Toure, u sheeg dadka! I think it's all the propoganda from Mr John Simpson( BBC), whom takes pride about breaking the law of an African country! " The BBC is banned from Zimbabwe, but I've been here for the last 4 days". Well mate your boasting about breaking the law of another country!