Sign in to follow this  
Hassan_B

Benefits of Being a Teacher

Malika   

C&H, I believe you work in MN?

Has there been further research into the cause of the rise in Autism among Somali children in MN?

I am interested to find out what has been done so far,mostly on research into the genetic factor that might be a contributor,or the social influence factor..

Please let me know if you know.. smile.gif

Sayid,is there translated literature on Autism in Somali?

ps.I am also having difficulties explaining 'moderate and severe learning difficulties' to Somali parents,as most assume that the language barrier is the sole cause of their child's underachievement..How do I go about this?

Funny that you asked today Abaayo. I just got an e-mail from this Somali group today asking me to register with them. I'll just copy and past it.

Above is the statement from DHS saying they do no cover ABA or early intensive therapy. Therefore, what the low income families and those children that have state medical insurance is asking is for our children to get the same services as those with private insurance.

Below the HF 359 mandating private insurance to pay for autism therapies but not for state medical insurance or MA. If you child gets any of the following services and has MA they may not get it if this bill becomes law. Therefore, you must come and tell our elected officials that this bill needs to include your child.

HF359

04/14/10 02:14 PM HOUSE RESEARCH JV LA067

Sec. 4. [62A.3094] COVERAGE FOR AUTISM 1.1 SPECTRUM DISORDERS.

1.10 © "Board certified behavior analyst" means an individual certified by the Behavior

1.11 Analyst Certification Board as a board certified behavior analyst.

2.16 (b) A health plan must provide coverage for the diagnosis, evaluation, assessment,

2.17 and medically necessary care of autism spectrum disorders that is evidence based,

2.18 including but not limited to:

2.19 (1) neurodevelopmental and behavioral health treatments, instruction, and

2.20 management;

2.21 (2) intensive early intervention services, including service package models such as

2.22 applied behavior analysis, intensive early intervention behavior therapy services, and

2.23 Lovaas therapy;

2.24 (3) speech therapy;

2.25 (4) occupational therapy;

2.26 (5) physical therapy; and

2.27 (6) prescription medications.

4.14 Subd. 4. State health care programs. This section does not affect benefits

4.15 available under the medical assistance, MinnesotaCare, and general assistance medical

4.16 care programs, and the state employee group insurance plan offered under sections 43A.22

4.17 to 43A.30. These programs and the state employee group insurance plan must maintain

4.18 current levels of coverage, and section 256B.0644 shall continue to apply.

Please register to testify with Dan with Representative and Committee Chair Rep Huntley because if you don’t speak for your child or your community no one else will. Each speaker will have 3 minutes to testify and tell their concerns.

Hello to Minnesota Department of Health (MDH), Minnesota Department of Education (MDE) and Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS)

Rep. Huntley would like to schedule a hearing to discuss the high rates of autism prevalence in the Somali community for this Wednesday, May 5th from approximately 10 am to 11:30 am. We would like to give as many of you an opportunity to testify as possible.

Please let me know your availability no later than the close of business on Monday, May 3.

Thanks very much.

Sincerely,

There are statistics out there in our community. I'll e-mail and ask if they can e-mail it to me.

Malika   

^Alright, they are at this stage? I would have thought they are into expanding their research, looking into genetic/enviromental/toxicology influences..argh!!

Perhaps, the parents should push for extensive research to be done,this could easily be about the differences in child raring practices, and what is considered 'normal' behavioural characterists of children in the west.

A complex matter never the less! More and more Somali children are being diagnoised with Autism,I think it is important that we push for more research..this is after all our children's lives,future at stake.

ps. Do share the statics please! I am seeking statics in UK, will share if I access them.

chubacka   

^ The Somali BBC radio programme had an hour long discussion about this not too long ago Mal and spoke to many health professionals and parents with children who have autism. Not sure if you can pull it out of their archives.

Perhaps, the parents should push for extensive research to be done,this could easily be about the differences in child raring practices, and what is considered 'normal' behavioural characterists of children in the west.

A complex matter never the less! More and more Somali children are being diagnoised with Autism,I think it is important that we push for more research..this is after all our children's lives,future at stake.

I know. This is a big issue in our community. We have stigma attached to disability wether it is learning, behavior or mental. I think it is mostly envioronmental.Research is finding a lot about Autism and its causes. They're looking closely at chemicals in the food such artificial flavors and food coloring. There is a lot of backlash and fear in the teaching profession. It's not as easy to diognose as people think. Teachers who are the primary observants sadly are very careful for referral. I see lots of situations where parents feel ashamed to admit their child might have a problem and they opt to refuse service :( . As I shared before, my little sister(who just turned 11)was diognosed with Autism when she was in first grade. As a baby and as a toddler, we didnt notice ANY difference. We attributed her lack of understanding certain boundaries(things like touching people, going off with them)to her friendliness. And because she is the youngest, my mother insisted on doing EVERYTHING for her so we didnt catch the fact that she couldnt tie her shoes and would get so painfully frustrated with the process she would throw a fit EVERYTIME.

Anyways when the social workers came, my mother fueled by people decided to refuse service. It took me a while. But I did research after research. I got her tapes and showed her some of the symptoms. For instance, my sister couldnt pay attention more than 40seconds no matter the task. I couldnt instruct her to bring a glass of water. She would cry because it was so frustrating for her.

Finally my mother decided to consent for assessment. We're glad she did. My sister received therapy and especial education until 3rd grade. Her social skills improved so much. She isnt an angry child anymore. She receives straight A's and passing all tests. She does math and science particulary well. And she is into baking so she measures everything!

I would love for our community to understand that a child can be helped. It's not about labeling although sometimes, lazy teachers do lable quickly so they can pass off that child to another teacher.

teachers, I need help, particularly those of you in the UK. Do you know of online resources(websites, forums, blogs) for or run by teachers? Particularly interested in minorities. Be good to see US websites too.

chubacka   

http://www.tes.co.uk/

Leading teacher's forum in the UK, I dnt think its run by teacher's (its' a branch of The Times paper) but its for teachers of all types from primary to lecturers.

Resources for primary school teachers:

http://www.primaryresources.co.uk/

http://www.teachingideas.co.uk/

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/

https://www.hamilton-trust.org.uk/

If your doing some sort of reasearch and want to get some opinions, TES is the best place to start I would say, you can post on its forums however it be a bit flat now as its the summer hols. smile.gif

ANTARA   

Originally posted by sheherazade:

teachers, I need help, particularly those of you in the UK. Do you know of online resources(websites, forums, blogs) for or run by teachers? Particularly interested in minorities. Be good to see US websites too.

I used to work for the training and development agency intaanan ilbixin :D and they are the best people to speak to if you want to know more about teaching in the UK. They even have what they call a Teacher Advocate Programme where you can get in touch with teachers from your ethnic community if you have specific quires. Minority teachers are classed as priority candidates and there are some incentives for those who come from a refugee background icon_razz.gif

Check out there website, www.tda.gov.uk

Guys, there are many routes into teaching and if you are interested then a proper and early research is in order. Some of them are more interesting and financially more rewarding than the usual academic route.

Malika   

SMT =Senior management team

SLT= Senior leader team

These are high ranking in schools - the senior management tends to include the headteacher,deputy head etc. The senior leaders tend to be head of departments/year heads etc

Did I make sense?