Sign in to follow this  
Hassan_B

Benefits of Being a Teacher

Malika   

^Yeah,its not about standing in front of a bunch of children and teach them a lesson your passionate about - its all the pressure of meeting targets,implememting strategies,fulfilling dead lines , it goes on and on..

ps.The trick is to be an expert as a 'bilingual teacher'..You would work outside the perimeters of other teachers - You are basically there to fulfill the 'equality' agenda.. :D

As a non-professional, what is the most effective method/curriculum/textbook in mathematics tutoring for adults?

Some are struggling with even additions and few are more advanced, but the ideal would be to help them attain a GCSE or pre-GCSE level altogether.

I have read the Adult Numeracy Core Curriculum and selected as textbook Nelson "Maths the Basic Skills Curriculum Edition - Student Book (E3-L2) (Levels 1 and 2 and 3)", which follows that curriculum.

However, the whole concept of 5 different levels which appears in the textbook as well is confusing, while all the details make this method too awkward for intensive sessions once or twice a week.

Thanks for sharing your similar experiences or suggestions...

Salaams all,

I've come to realize that teaching in the states is akin to being a baby-sitter. The main purpose of compulsory schooling is to serve as childcare for big kids... If you want to be the best teacher you can be and bring the best out of your students find a day job and teach on the side.

Excuse me? How can you say that? Are you a teacher? Have you ever taught a lesson to a child and watch them get the lesson? please dont make sweeping generalizations. Most kids do learn from good teachers and high school is where they lay out foundations.

Originally posted by chocolate & honey:

Excuse me? How can you say that? Are you a teacher? Have you ever taught a lesson to a child and watch them get the lesson? please dont make sweeping generalizations. Most kids do learn from good teachers and high school is where they lay out foundations.

I don't think high school is where the foundations are laid. More likely it is in kindergarden and in elementary. Why do you think it is called kindergarden?

Think about it, if school was really beneficial for the kids (i'm not saying all should quit school) then why is it compulsory? Wouldn't parents naturally want there kids to go there to receive the benefits?

Another purpose in addition to being a daycare for big kids (i'm talking about public schools and perhaps most private schools.) is that it also serves as a mechanism to prevent young adults from competing with adults in the job market. This creates an illusion of plentiful jobs when that is not really the case.

What? I dont even know where to begin with your dillusional ideas. Did you pluck them from the sky?

First of all, it is not spelled KINDERGARDEN, it is KINDERGARTEN. LOOOOOOOOOOOL!Secondly, children are in Kindergarten before 1st grade.

Schools are compulsory because we want to give our youngesters an opportunity to learn and grow as human beings and be in the same enviorenment with their peers. It protects children from child labor for one thing.

And no, every parent would NOT naturally want their kids to go school and learn. How naive are you? Some would want to pimp their kids, some would want them to work, some would marry them off and some dont even care for education. Thats why there are laws that mandate schools.

High school is where you lay your foundation for the future. you're almost an adult. Educators expose your to various ideas, cultures and paths. You figure out what you want under the guidance of skilled adults who are there to help.

Malika   

brotherinsubmission[btw,what a nick!], what is your understanding of the purpose of education in modern US society?

C&H calm down dear,the brother is on something. smile.gif - Why was education made compulsory to every child?

thanks malika for humoring me.

I think one will get a better feel of the intentions behind compulsory schooling by noting the reaction of the population to it when it was first introduced in late 1800 and early 1900 hundreds. the overwhelming reaction to it was highly negative. Look at the results: ever decreasing levels of literacy starting after WW2. This was not by accident.

The tycoons that started it (rockefeller, ford, morgan) intended to create generic individuals for the industrial future they envisioned. Yes, we do live in a command economy, the difference between us and the chinese is that the chinese are more aware of their predicament. Although the measures to achieve that here were more sophisticated and subtle.

Their goals were to create dependent consumerist individuals and to prevent as much as possible the rise of creative individuals that might upset the economic balance.

You can readily dismiss my claims or you can read and find more about it yourself. Google search the "Seven Lesson Schoolteacher".

@C&H thanks for the correction. The idea is that kindergarten is a garden where the seeds are sown into the mind of little kids.

Originally posted by chocolate & honey:

And no, every parent would NOT naturally want their kids to go school and learn. How naive are you? Some would want to pimp their kids, some would want them to work, some would marry them off and some dont even care for education. Thats why there are laws that mandate schools.

I have to vehemently disagree with this. The vast majority of parents love their children and given the resources would do the best thing for their future growth. And for the few derelict parents, they should be dealt with specifically. We don't need to design a system for everyone for the sake of the few. Parents should have their full rights and duties with regards to the rearing of their children and education is part of the rearing.